myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mounting trifins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts, but nope.
A small wave funboard would be much wider at the nose and tail, much jmore rocker, much less nose kick.
A big wave surfboard would be much narrower, under 21", have more rocker in the tail, and be less than 4" thick.
There is no scenario for a surfboard to be shaped this way, as it would pearl on every takeoff and cutback, be stiff and rail digging, and weigh WAAAY too much for anything but a longboard, but a longboard has a wide nose and tail, and thin rails, belly bottom, no nose kick, and much more tail rocker.
I like being an "expert" on everything.. Very Happy Very Happy
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Good thoughts, but nope.
A small wave funboard would be much wider at the nose and tail, much jmore rocker, much less nose kick.
A big wave surfboard would be much narrower, under 21", have more rocker in the tail, and be less than 4" thick.
There is no scenario for a surfboard to be shaped this way, as it would pearl on every takeoff and cutback, be stiff and rail digging, and weigh WAAAY too much for anything but a longboard, but a longboard has a wide nose and tail, and thin rails, belly bottom, no nose kick, and much more tail rocker.
I like being an "expert" on everything.. Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy I guess that might throw off my plans to use it as a surfboard if the wind is light on the coast this weekend Laughing Not that I know how to surf anyway...
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine a 9' surfboard that takes off really late, then spears downwards, pearling the nose or rails just in front of the mast track. Not a pretty sight, almost like a canoe catching a wave.
There's not enough float, then not enough planing surface, for any wave under 6', and for wave over that, it's just plain too straight a rocker to pearl and stick. Like the worst of all worlds.
Believe me, I was a 4A surfer in California, rode some rockered wave boards in the past in the surf, and limit them now to only windsurfing in the waves, which is not nearly the same thing as paddling into the waves, standing up, then angling off or don't bother with bottom turns.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ill imagine myself going over to lincoln city surf shop and renting a longboard
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I think ill imagine myself going over to lincoln city surf shop and renting a longboard

check out Pacific City just to the north good surfing, they have a couple surf shops and you can rent SUP there too.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:

Yeah, the slotted and tri is overkill, no spinouts though no matter how poorly I landed jumps Laughing Its just the only US box wave fin I have right now, though at the moment the braking effect is OK Very Happy Im getting a better wave fin at the next swap meet. Im liking the long mast track and forward positions, I guess if I ever get a new board it will probably be an Open Ocean Laughing

mchaco1,
I assume you did your homework on board choice. I have 2 OO's. an 8'2" 80ltr and a 8'4" 95ltr. My only regret about getting them is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. Just tell Brian what sail sizes you want to use with the board, your weight, what conditions you sail in and how you sail, ie; freeride BnF, BnJ, seat harness/waist harness etc. and he'll build you the perfect board for it. The only thing you really have to decide for yourself is colors. That's the fun part!
Have you ridden one yet? There are several OO riders on this forum and they will say with or without his side fins, they are great boards. Some riders swear by them, some like the ride better without. Brians rule of thumb is if you're overpowered and the board is getting a little unruly then put them on and it will save you rigging a smaller sail.

I picked one up today at the swap meet, an 8'2, cant wait for a nice windy day to try i out Very Happy It was built for a woman (hopefully a tall one) but the price was right and I really wanted it.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:

Yeah, the slotted and tri is overkill, no spinouts though no matter how poorly I landed jumps Laughing Its just the only US box wave fin I have right now, though at the moment the braking effect is OK Very Happy Im getting a better wave fin at the next swap meet. Im liking the long mast track and forward positions, I guess if I ever get a new board it will probably be an Open Ocean Laughing

mchaco1,
I assume you did your homework on board choice. I have 2 OO's. an 8'2" 80ltr and a 8'4" 95ltr. My only regret about getting them is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. Just tell Brian what sail sizes you want to use with the board, your weight, what conditions you sail in and how you sail, ie; freeride BnF, BnJ, seat harness/waist harness etc. and he'll build you the perfect board for it. The only thing you really have to decide for yourself is colors. That's the fun part!
Have you ridden one yet? There are several OO riders on this forum and they will say with or without his side fins, they are great boards. Some riders swear by them, some like the ride better without. Brians rule of thumb is if you're overpowered and the board is getting a little unruly then put them on and it will save you rigging a smaller sail.

I picked one up today at the swap meet, an 8'2, cant wait for a nice windy day to try i out Very Happy It was built for a woman (hopefully a tall one) but the price was right and I really wanted it.

Congrats mchaco! Check yer PM's Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: