myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fixing small push dent in monofilm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icesailing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: fixing small push dent in monofilm Reply with quote

the trick is to use a heat gun, away from the sail and then bring it close to the pushed out shape of mono. it will suck it back to the original flat shape like magic. do little passes with the heat gun till you get it. less is more here. get use to it first, go slow, then youll get the feel how long you can hold the heat on it. best of luck- keep sailing
kursatu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.
Can you use an iron with together with some sort of cloth so that it does not stick to the iron?
You can also have more control over the temperature.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother, concerning the risk?They're just cosmetic, according to the NASA aerodynamics consultant who also happens to design Northwave sails. Paraphrasing: "The air flow round a WSing sail is so freaking unstable that nuances like a dimple -- or an 18" mast pad on the mast just below the booms -- will not affect performance."

Mike \m/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with isobars. If you are worried about the film in a dimple being more prone to tearing, tape over it.
icesailing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: dents Reply with quote

Its a matter of keeping your gear tip top looking. I had mine laid out on the driveway(on a tarp) while appling decals i walked on the film with my socks and there was a small pebble or rock that left a dent. i wanted it gone. i like to keep my gear looking sharp.

Last edited by icesailing on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my boards still has the dealer's sun-bleached 5-year-old price sticker on its rail. Bugs the HELL out of a picky friend, and that's reason enough to leave it there until the board crumbles to dust. Wink

Mike
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its a matter of keeping your gear tip top looking. I had mine laid out on the driveway while appling decals i walked on the film with my socks and there was a small pebble or rock that left a dent

If you want to keep your sails in good shape-
1- Don't roll them out or rig them on asphalt.
2- Don't walk on them.

sm
icesailing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: dent Reply with quote

i laid the sail out on a tarp which i had streched out first. it was a big sail 11.0 and i wanted to get my redbull decals in the middle.the sails so big you cant reach without walking on it. you kick your shoes off and dont usually have an issue. anyway heres a good quick fix. cool, aloha
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icesailing wrote:
Its a matter of keeping your gear tip top looking. I had mine laid out on the driveway(on a tarp) while appling decals i walked on the film with my socks and there was a small pebble or rock that left a dent. i wanted it gone. i like to keep my gear looking sharp.
I used to sail with a pro that had taken up kiting. I was using an old Windsurfing Hawaii sail at the time. He noticed it and told me how cool he thought it was. During that summer, the mylar started to peel and made it look ragged. Eventually I had to cut it up for parts. At the end of the season the same guy and I had a big laugh about how it had been sailed to it's bitter end. I want my sails to look used.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingfoofoo wrote:
I was using an old Windsurfing Hawaii sail at the time...

Was that from your dumpster diving days, Brucie, or did you find it at the Falmouth transfer station?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: