myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Event Site Potential Theft/Pick Pocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenkimball

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Event Site Potential Theft/Pick Pocket Reply with quote

I had the experience yesterday that 2 young males, plus or minus 18 years old, were working together to pick pocket belongings. Yesterday I was at the event site, looking through my binoculars with my pack on a table. I noticed someone next to me and lowered my binoculars. I immediately looked over my shoulder to see another young man standing behind me. I was asked about my binoculars. I have a pair just like them at home, I was told. I had a strong sense that they were working together to steal my pack that had my iphone, wallet, and keys. I have coming to the gorge for the last 3 summers and never had that experience. Has there been an increase in such incidents at the site? In the past, I felt it was a very trusting environment.
vladimir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine parked her van outside the Event Site. It got broken into, things got stolen. This happened in early July or something...
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Event Site Potential Theft/Pick Pocket Reply with quote

kenkimball wrote:
I felt it was a very trusting environment.

The Gorge normally is, and that's part of the problem. One reason pickpockets work in pairs is that if one guy gets your wallet or something not too bulky and obvious, he can pass it off to his partner so that when the victim whirls around to confront or punch out the thief, he's already passed your stuff to his bud and can just show two empty, "innocent" hands.

Ya gotta catch and hospitalize both of them. Good luck with that in a crowd.

As you discovered, another reason they work in pairs is distraction.

I watch very closely, and tell others about, any stranger who walks around asking people "What's that cost?" and "What's that worth?".

If you can spot those guys again,or just think you may have, bring them to people's and the police's attention. Snap a picture of them and show it around. Two cures come to mind if caught in the act: cell phone camera and/or a thorough stompdown.

A thief was observed watching the Rowena parking lot years ago with binoculars to see where people hid their keys, then robbing their vehicles while they were out sailing.

Mike \OO/
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood River has a tendency to attract the unsavory crowd in July. These individuals would arrive, sail for a week or two during the peak season, especially around the races. They would check out the neighborhoods, for mountain bikes and other toys, many stolen out of backyards. On their last day of sailing, they rip off the town and head home. Trip paid for by all the stolen gear/bikes, they sell at home.

Similar thing happened in Park City, Utah. Had a very unique glass custom Angulo, stolen off the top of a van in Park City at the end of the ski season, getting ready to return to the Gorge. The board showed up in a week on the East Coast, as a friend was telling us about a beautifully designed board an East Coast sailor saw on the beach. No other board would have my custom artwork.

Sailors and locals beware!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ballsy. If I park at rowena, cheap, swell or stevy close in I leave the windows down. If I am at doug's, celilo or rooster no way. the later two are used as a reststop for the freeway.

It can happen anywhere. I've seen it in Maui first hand, but then I've seen it a lot of places. the funniest are the Gypsies in Italy. you know they are trying to pick pocket you just make sure they can't get it. had a lady with a baby strapped to her on a bus frisk me, I hope she was just looking for the wallet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: