myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon coast part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas_tlusty wrote:
hilton08 wrote:
I would bring the 4.5, 5.3, and 5.7 sails with the 95 liter board for the ocean.

Sounds right to me. The wind will seem squirrely and wierd compared to the gorge, especially around the impact zone, so rig a size bigger than what you would rig in the gorge. Also, don't sail anywhere with rocks downwind, the southbound current will have you downwind faster than you would believe unless you are well powered up (until you know the tricks to staying upwind).

If you haven't already, join the PDXWindsurfer yahoo group and read the Oregon Coast Wavesailing Guide they have in the files section. Full of good advice from coast regulars, it got me through my first few times on the coast.

I just submitted to join. I survived an eastwind 30+ day in stevenson without walking too faar, so hopefully I wont have too long of a walk on the beach Laughing
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info. With the wind and waves generally going the same direction, the walk back up the beach is fairly common. This year I've found the iWindsurf forecast to be pretty accurate for wind at the north/central coast. Check out magicseaweed.com for swell forecast on the OR coast.

http://magicseaweed.com/Lincoln-City-Surf-Report/316/

Ideally you want anything smaller than 6 feet with intervals over 10 seconds though smaller waves and closer intervals are doable. Sit and watch the waves and wind for a while before you go out and try to figure out the rhythm. Waves come in sets (usually 4-5 waves) with a lull between sets. You want to try to time getting out during the lull. There's several good dvds for beginning wavesailing if you're interested.

Have fun! It's another beautiful sailing venue to enjoy.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I checked out the coast report and will be absorbing winner to wavesailer this week. Has anyone ever sailed gleneden beach? Its sandy for a mile south, and it will be right in our backyard so it would be very convenient.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I survived an eastwind 30+ day in stevenson without walking too faar, so hopefully I wont have too long of a walk on the beach Laughing

Good luck with that. You WILL walk the beach, because the rip current is powerful and flows with the wind, the winds are very unsteady, and the water is infinitely rougher than the lake you usually sail in. Overrig board, sail, and fin, walk way upwind to launch, and expect to spend as much time walking as sailing. After decades of sailing almost everything the Gorge can deliver, I have nothing but respect, admiration, envy, awe, and incomprehension for/at/of how anyone windsurfs the OR coast. When it's moderately windy, say 5.0, it can make a full-nuke Gorge day seem like beginner conditions by comparison. Of my 20-something coast trips, I was able to stay upwind on two of them. One was so GD windy (full-on rock solid 2.8 from the dunes to miles offshore) that it was challenging to go downwind (that alone made it my best coast trip yet). The other was my first coast trip, a mellow but consistent (thus I could stay upwind) 5.2 day with fog all the way to the coastal highway all day.

A little grommet named Chris Wyman asked me in about 1990 why I didn't go down the line instead of offshore. I said something like, "I can't stay upwind even beam reaching. No way I'm pointing south."

Wear welder's goggles. You sail out looking DIRECTLY into the low afternoon sun, so even 12-foot incoming swell is not detectable past 2-3 PM ... when the wind starts. Basically, you can't see SHIT going out. (Excuse the language, but "$#!+" doesn't begin to convey the problem.) I have never found a solution to fogged-up eyewear there.

WHEN ... not IF ... you walk back upwind, I've found two solutions for us mortals who haven't learned how to balance everything on top of their heads when walking 500 yards directly into 30-mph headwinds:
1. Grab your back footstrap in your right hand and walk north. (That's the entire instruction manual; ignore everything else and just walk.)
2. If the shorebreak is mild or 100 feet offshore and the bottom is sand, walk back upwind in knee-deep water holding just your rig while the board floats beside you in your lee.

Now how do you enjoy that? BELIEVE IT, expect to have your ass handed to you, prepare yourself mentally for it, and enjoy the hell out of it when it doesn't turn out that badly. If you go there expecting a walk in the park like a routine 40-kt stormy day in the corridor, you'll get overwhelmed if you do find some wind.

Enjoy!
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're powered up going out and the wind isn't too onshore you should have no problem staying upwind. I've sailed the north/central coast regularly the last 2 years and have only had problems staying upwind when the wind was too onshore. Manzanita is famous for this so I don't recommend it. Roads End at Lincoln City can be good if there's wind and it's usually not too onshore. My general rule is not to go farther down wind than I am willing to walk back. When I'm powered up and can go upwind then I don't even worry about it. My experience has been that the wind at the coast is usually more consistent than at the Gorge. You just need more of it because there's a lot of water moving around out there.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my OR coast sailing has been at Newport/Agate Beach, where the wind is SS to side-on but varies dramatically both from the beach to the impact zone to outside and in each of those zones. Even though I was on a bigger sail than the experienced wave sailors, the locals (plus Karnazes and grommets Wyman and the Pritchards) had no problem getting back upwind after going DTL ... something about backside, or surfside, or frontback ... some such surferdude jargon. Wink

Is Agate's wind uniquely inconsistent among north coast spots, or have I just had bad luck with the wind on 90% of my coast trips, including Florence and Pistol?

Any tips in that challenge would help many displaced Gorge sailors.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
mchaco1 wrote:
I survived an eastwind 30+ day in stevenson without walking too faar, so hopefully I wont have too long of a walk on the beach Laughing

Good luck with that. You WILL walk the beach, because the rip current is powerful and flows with the wind, the winds are very unsteady, and the water is infinitely rougher than the lake you usually sail in. Overrig board, sail, and fin, walk way upwind to launch, and expect to spend as much time walking as sailing. After decades of sailing almost everything the Gorge can deliver, I have nothing but respect, admiration, envy, awe, and incomprehension for/at/of how anyone windsurfs the OR coast. When it's moderately windy, say 5.0, it can make a full-nuke Gorge day seem like beginner conditions by comparison. Of my 20-something coast trips, I was able to stay upwind on two of them. One was so GD windy (full-on rock solid 2.8 from the dunes to miles offshore) that it was challenging to go downwind (that alone made it my best coast trip yet). The other was my first coast trip, a mellow but consistent (thus I could stay upwind) 5.2 day with fog all the way to the coastal highway all day.

A little grommet named Chris Wyman asked me in about 1990 why I didn't go down the line instead of offshore. I said something like, "I can't stay upwind even beam reaching. No way I'm pointing south."

Wear welder's goggles. You sail out looking DIRECTLY into the low afternoon sun, so even 12-foot incoming swell is not detectable past 2-3 PM ... when the wind starts. Basically, you can't see SHIT going out. (Excuse the language, but "$#!+" doesn't begin to convey the problem.) I have never found a solution to fogged-up eyewear there.

WHEN ... not IF ... you walk back upwind, I've found two solutions for us mortals who haven't learned how to balance everything on top of their heads when walking 500 yards directly into 30-mph headwinds:
1. Grab your back footstrap in your right hand and walk north. (That's the entire instruction manual; ignore everything else and just walk.)
2. If the shorebreak is mild or 100 feet offshore and the bottom is sand, walk back upwind in knee-deep water holding just your rig while the board floats beside you in your lee.

Now how do you enjoy that? BELIEVE IT, expect to have your ass handed to you, prepare yourself mentally for it, and enjoy the hell out of it when it doesn't turn out that badly. If you go there expecting a walk in the park like a routine 40-kt stormy day in the corridor, you'll get overwhelmed if you do find some wind.

Enjoy!

I fully count on getting pounded and walking plenty. Not to imply that an east wind day is the same, but there are some similarities. Im hoping for knee high waves with long periods and 6.8 winds to get a feel for it. It looks like a mild week so I can always hope Laughing But rest assured that the ocean scares me far to much to get into anything to serious. Just the thought of sailing past the breakers without a lot of people already being there is kind of creepy. The gleneden wave report says " watch out for rips and sharks" so I may stick to roads end and chat with any kiteboarders/windsurfers there and let them know to stay well clear Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds favor your scenario much more than mine.
hamiltor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Oregon Coast Part 2 Reply with quote

Check out Roads End beach just north of Lincoln City. Your best bet for the best wind. Usually too light nad not sailable at Gleneden. Will be 10-15 mph or more at Roads End. I have a house there and been saining the area fir years. Yes alot of kiters but on a normal day most of them are quite good in the waves. Otherwise you should look south . Newport Jetty or even Florence Jetty (90 min drive from Gleneden) I'll be down there this weekend and will sail Roads End if it happens so might see you.....
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast Part 2 Reply with quote

hamiltor wrote:
Check out Roads End beach just north of Lincoln City. Your best bet for the best wind. Usually too light nad not sailable at Gleneden. Will be 10-15 mph or more at Roads End. I have a house there and been saining the area fir years. Yes alot of kiters but on a normal day most of them are quite good in the waves. Otherwise you should look south . Newport Jetty or even Florence Jetty (90 min drive from Gleneden) I'll be down there this weekend and will sail Roads End if it happens so might see you.....

Sounds good, im trying to get an experienced friend to come along and show me how to do it for part of the stay. If we head to roads end I should be easy to spot, my quatro is nice and ugly and hard to miss, with its super speedy thin sanded ninja turtle paint job (its the blue ninja turtle)and white footstraps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: