myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light wind planing in the Midwest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Light wind planing in the Midwest Reply with quote

I had fun sailing last weekend here in Minnesota. I weigh 175 and have figured out how to fairly consistently sail and even gybe my X-Cite ride 145 with North Sails natural 8.1 in moderate wind. (thanks in no small part to input from people on this forum, thank you). I am looking to buy a sail to rig on my 490 (crappy powerex 30% carbon) mast with my aluminum boom which tops out at 250 for the lightest winds.

I am considering the Ezzy Cheetah and the Lion in 9.5 as I want to go bigger than my 8.1. I don't care about speed really as I am looking for early planing but even if it just means staying on the plane through lulls and handling gusts better in light gusty winds I will consider it a successful purchase.

I weigh 175lbs and have a true ames blade weed 2 fin which I usually use as well as the slalom fin that came with the board.

I realize a formula board or the JP light wind or similar board would help the early planing. I also have a long board that is fun but not nearly as lively and fun as the 145 when I can plane. For now I wan't to focus on the sail choice. What other sails should I look at? Could I go with an 8.5 in a sail other than my Natural and still get improved performance? Pros and cons of 2 cam vs camless? Thanks for your input.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aerotechsails.com/freespeed.html

228 boom. 490 jacked up with a 38 cm extension.

with larger RAF sails, one has the option of using less tension. cam sails cannot do that without possible damage to the batten tips in lots of brands.

with more tension options, one has to be able to recognize when to trim for conditions.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked Hot Sails Maui, they make a 9.7 Speed Demon recreational sail that fits on a 490. dhmark
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kona 9.0 sail, without cams. It is a great sails to cover from non-planing to fully planing conditions. It is quite light (built from monofilm) and very adjustable. It is a keeper for me. However, it is difficult to handle when the wind conditions are gusty and highly variable, as the sail will not hold it's shape and the sails CE keeps moving around.

My next purchase will be a cammed 9.5 sail that I would use in mostly planing conditions for that type of sail. I expect it to better handle conditions that will vary from overpowered to under in an instant since it's shape will be stabilized. It will keep it's shape in lulls and won't get distorted in strong gusts. I'm thinking about an Ezzy Lion, since it is probably a strong sail, like my Ezzy freerides. I have yet to test one myself or read an independent review about the Lion though.

Hope this helps!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangerider-

What's the recommended max sail size for your JP Excite Ride board? Based on experience, I don't think you will get much benefit from a bigger sail if it's way over the max recommended size for your board.

If the board will hold a 9.0 then that might be a good size to go with. When you're pushing the limits of how big a sail your board will hold, then going with a sail that has a relatively short boom length for its size can help. The Aerotech freespeed has a shortish boom length so it could be a good choice. I have a the 8.0 and I like it.

Good luck.

-James

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sailworks Retro 9.5, which rigs on a 490 without a huge
extension. That sail pulls like a freight train, and pumps great. It has
no cams, but is pretty rideable into stronger winds.
I think it's the ultimate sail for early planing, but, an aluminum boom
extended to it's max is going to do you no service no matter what sail
you rig. And, a sail that big is going to need a very big skeg. I'm
not sure what that would be in a weed skeg, but a 60cm skeg in a normal
vertical shape would be the minimum.

I ride it on a 155ltr Sumo, and I weigh about 180.

-Craig
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Ezzy Cheetah Reply with quote

I like a lot my Ezzy Cheetah.

It is 7.0 and used on a Bic Techno (150 L) with an Ames Weed Blade Fin.

And I do mean I like the Ezzy Cheetah a lot. A real lot.
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. My board takes sails up to 10m2 with 9.5 being the upper limit of the recommended range based on the information from JP. My weed fin is pretty big as it was sized for the upper size range of my board but I can't remember the exact size.

The retro looks like a good sail but it is expensive and sold out on the Sailworks site - that was one of my first options considered.

The Aerotechs look like they have more area up high with a clew cutout and shorter boom compared to the Ezzys, does this sound right? Do you all think that makes them better for what I have described? Since two people have suggested the Aerotech sails I will take a closer look at them.

At this point I am leaning toward getting the Cheetah or the Lion as I like the Ezzy sails and I would prefer to buy from Isthmus as they are helpful when it comes to picking gear for the Midwest. They had suggested the Cheetah. Anybody think this is a bad idea? Would I be better off with the twin-cam or the camless or is this just a personal preference kind of thing?

Finally, just to be sure I am thinking rightly, any of the suggested sails are going to be a step up from my North natural 8.1 right? If not then I won't bother. Thanks again.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll plane more with a 9.5 than an 8.1. I bet I got a 2 MPH lower wind
threshold when I moved from my 8.5 to my 9.5, but that might not be
an apples comparison, because my 8.5 was an XT2 race sail, and the 9.5 was a Retro.

-Craig

rangerider wrote:
Finally, just to be sure I am thinking rightly, any of the suggested sails are going to be a step up from my North natural 8.1 right? If not then I won't bother. Thanks again.
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my boom (Chinook Comp Aluminum) which is some years old is supposed to work up to 252cm. The Cheetah, for example, requires 240-247cm. I should be able to give it a go I would think as I am not at max extension - sure I would like a newer, stiffer boom and I might get one, but I'd prefer to rig it on the stuff I already have first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: