myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light wind planing in the Midwest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider,

I have race sails, 8.4 and 9.2 (others as well) and there is a very noticeable difference in light wind performance between these two. Go for the 9.5.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike cams

vote for the Cheetah go big that board will support it 9.5

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I corresponded to Tim from Ezzy via email and he recommended the Lion by a slim margin over the Cheetah. He felt the low end power would be slightly improved for early planing with the cam sail. He said they would do an exchange if I was not satisfied for any reason which I think is pretty cool. I have never tried a cam sail so I am excited to try it, if I think the cams are a pain I guess I will just take Tim up on the offer and swap it for a Cheetah - sounds like I can't lose. I'll report back how it works out. Thanks for everyones' input.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on my post. Sailed the Lion 9.5 in changeable conditions on my lake yesterday. Helps to plane earlier (probably cut my slogging time by 50 percent when there was wind but no whitecaps). Points upwind MUCH better than my North Natural sails which may soon be retired as I'm thinking of getting another of these in a smaller size. The big surprise was how easy it is to handle at the top of its wind range, I was a bit fearful of this big sail before using it but found it very comfortable. Recommend highly for lake sailors.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. We don't see much 9.5 sails reviews.

Were you required to change your boom in the end?
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail works with my boom, but it really isn't up to the task. A proper boom for this sail will be my next gear purchase. Now that I know the sail widens the range in which I can enjoy windsurfing where I live I don't mind making the investment. Sometimes you buy things and hope it will help but you are not sure if it will make a difference. This definitely has, and a new boom will help even more I believe - I don't know why I thought my current boom went to 250, it only goes up to 244- marginal at best for this sail. If anyone wants to get rid of a good carbon boom with a sweet spot in the 245cm range I'd be interested, otherwise I plan to purchase the Aeron 29.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lion is a great sail for your needs. It is slightly better than the Cheetah in lite gusty winds. As you go down in sail size the difference is less noticeable. At 6.5 or 7.0 I would go with the Cheetah. Its lite, crisp and all but goes away in the turns. Its very easy to pump up on a plane. It has a soft pull comming out of a fast turn. Yet it is fast and stable. Both sails are as good as they get. Be sure to watch Ezzy's rigging videos. You must understand tunning of your sails to get the most out of them. Proper down haul and out haul is key to and enjoyable ride
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing, I am thinking about a big fin to complete my light wind setup. The board comes with a 46 cm teardrop style and I have the blade weed II true Ames in the 43cm size. I'm thinking of purchasing a free race fin with some flex at about 52 cm. Anyone think this will help? Thanks
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is a good idea since the fin will be fitting the sail size. The general rule of thumb is that the fin lenght should not exceed the "one foot of the tail" board width to prevent excessive board roll-over.

About the boom, I chose a V-Grip instead of the MCT-29 or similar Chinook to go to 250 with a different 9.0 sail. Stiffer than the 29 but heavier. Similar stifness to the Chinook at similar weight, but swing weight is much lower with the V-Grip. I like the shape too, especially with mitts, but the underhand grip is less confortable for me compared to a regular round grip.

I chose Aluminium to comply with class rules, but at this size, carbon makes a big difference both in weight and stiffness.
rangerider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm ready to spend for a carbon boom although I'm sure it is a noticeable improvement. Haven't heard of the "one foot of the tail" rule and not sure how it is applied. I am planning to get an MFC liquid pro fin 50cm and see how it works - it is 4 cm longer than the fin supplied with the board so it should be reasonable I would think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: