myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LIVING IN MAUI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of living in Maui Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Man, you big city guys get jaded. Realize that outside big cities, many people can buy great homes with acreage for <$200,000 ... and do groceries on Maui still cost twice what they do on the mainland?

Hi Isobras, welcome to the forums!

Are the superb bargains you mention pleasant to live in? Or is it the kind of place where the neighbors' "dogs got shot, both shooters threatened to do it again, one shooter ran around the neighborhood threatening people with his rifle, and the sheriff refused to act in either case. The next neighbor whose dog got shot thought very seriously about using his deer rifle to stop the problem when the sheriff would not act."

I think I'll go with Justin thank you... Cool
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way Isobras, I though you should be aware you might get some sh*t in here. Your handle is suspiciously similar to the handle of a weird character (or a spambot with a very twisted AI?) that was hanging around this forum, publicly wishing stuff like "Just think ... just one more well-placed earthquake" and oh so many other angry nuggets!

So don't take it personally, just avoid narcissistic posts, and there won't be any confusion.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> do groceries on Maui still cost twice what they do on the mainland?

Definitely not if you shop at Costco and Mana Foods, and amazon.com. Costco prices are virtually the same as the mainland. Mana has an excellent selection of organic and specialty items that is very comparable to that type of store on the mainland, and often less than Safeway on Maui (which I never shop at). And if you do go to Safeway only, you will definitely believe groceries cost twice as much here! And Whole Foods? Well, I'd say expensive both on the mainland and here.

That being said, I do miss Trader Joes and wish they would open up Maui!

Amazon prime is also amazing for Maui. The shipping is super fast and free for most items.

Some products are definitely way less on Maui:
$3 per pound Fresh whole Ahi from fishermen
$4-$5 per pound for fresh whole Mahi and Ono from fisherman.

We got a Costco vacuum sealer, so the frozen fish is AMAZING. If you love avocados, papayas, bananas, lilikoi, mangoes, and coconuts, you can grow them yourselves, or get them at Mana for a very low cost. Maui has an amazing selection of avocados!

Some fruits and produce that are not grown locally are definitely a lot more, unless you get it at Costco.

Another point of reference is going out to eat. We just went with the family to Haile Maile and my parents considered the food excellent and no more or less than a comparable meal in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. And there's no way that you can get fresh Ahi, Ono, or Mahi on the mainland, so it's not even comparable.

I actually find food in Maui to be one of the best parts of living on Maui.

Best wishes and aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethnic food is good here.
We eat a lot of raw fish that isnt sushi or sashimi.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do miss the good Mexican food in California, I would eat in the places where nobody spoke English. My wife and I would get more than we could consume for under $10
Nothing like that on Kauai, similar food from a roach coach but each taco costs $4.50 compared to $1.25
If you are really concerned with high food prices here you can forage for fruit and go fishing, but you need a boat. Lot's of people barter for fish.
rich1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

Where do you get your fish straight from the fisherman? I used to see guys on the north shore past Hookipa offering fresh fish, but not for a few years.

The last good local fish I've managed to find was at Hanazawa's.

Cheers
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
We just went with the family to Haile Maile and my parents considered the food excellent and no more or less than a comparable meal in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. And there's no way that you can get fresh Ahi, Ono, or Mahi on the mainland, so it's not even comparable.

I actually find food in Maui to be one of the best parts of living on Maui.

I agree with that, but I was referring to the price of ordinary mainland-style groceries budget-conscious and unimaginative haoles buy to cook in their condos ... cans and boxes of crap manufactured on the mainland. On the contrary, one of my favorite rituals on Maui is throwing on a T shirt so I won't offend any sensibilities, walking barefooted to a market, buying whatever seafood is freshest that day and some fresh produce, grilling or nuking it, and sitting on the lanai to chow down ... all in the silent beauty of the rising sun before most people are awake.

But your Haile Maile comment makes my point. It's my favorite Maui restaurant, but comparing its prices to those of Beverly Hills is no fair: they're two to almost three times those of my favorite real-world mainland restaurants. After all, cost of living was the OP's primary concern. A teacher like WAVEDAVE, who is considering moving to Maui or the PacNW, could not only live in the latter on something like half the costs of the former but could sail before and after school on windy days if he lived near the Gorge.

And a tip for Beaglebuddy: I know Mexican food fans who won't even eat so-called Mexican food when they are traveling outside their home state of New Mexico. NM Mexican food really is in a class by itself. If you ever get there, check it out.

Mike \OO/
victor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. lemme see. most of the year without seeing the sun vs. 12 months of spring.

i think i'd take the latter if i could afford it.

i'll settle for what i have, though.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
NM Mexican food really is in a class by itself. If you ever get there, check it out.

Ahh. New Mexico. The only place where pain is a flavor. I could go for some green chile stew about now.

Steve
tlucoff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was younger and a malibu bad boy my father thought i could use some social adjustment and he sent me to new mexico to go to school. when i got of the bus in las cruses new mexico and stepped onto dirt streets and a town with hitching posts i asked the first person i saw where the city was and the guy spit some tobacco and kicked the ground with his boots and took off his hat and said "your here" i asked how far it was to the school and he said 3 hours but we would have to wait for the sandstorm to end. so have fun in new mexico. ill take maui
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: