myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind!! Jibe help.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesrip@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Wind!! Jibe help..... Reply with quote

ahhhhhh........Finally got some wind!! Very fun night. Lake Quannapowitt. Got there after work at 5:00 pm. In water at 5:20. Sailed until about 8:00 pm. Air Temp about 90. No idea what the water temp was but definately no wetsuit needed!! Southwest wind @ 15 to 25 mph. Used my brand new "rocketship" - the RRD Firemove 110 litre board with my 7.5 Ezzy sail.

I got in a lot of speedy runs and some fun chop hops. Completed most of my jibes but still having trouble planing all the way through the jibe!! I enter the jibe with screaming speed, put foot pressure on inside rail in front of foot strap, spread out hand position on boom, lean forward into jibe, sheet in, etc. The jibe starts out great and I get almost all the way through the jibe and my board just "stops" when I flip the sail. I can still complete the jibe but would be a LOT more fun if I can be planing out of the jibe. Do these things just take time to learn? I'm kind of new to jibing. Any help or ideas? Thanks!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a start:
http://www.gorgeonline.com/windsurfing/spring.blog.htm

Also SEARCH this forum with key words jibe jybe gybe gype

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wind!! Jibe help..... Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. Bluesrip, These things do "just take time to learn", but....

I have a couple of suggestions based on your description. A lot of people
do well with the carve in, but when they flip the sail, they stand straight
up and as a result lose the rail carve they've been working so hard to
maintain. That stalls the board, and pretty much stops your forward momentum. There are a lot of reasons for standing straight up, but it's
usually to avoid the mast as it spins around if you didn't get the sail far
enough out in front of you, during the carve. So, try this, make sure
your front arm is extended fully as you enter the turn, and try and keep the sail out in front of you while you turn, pushing down on the booms
with your front hand as you flip the sail. Also just as you flip the sail, you
need to yank that front arm (with boom in hand)right past your ear, close to your head. If you do that and maintain your rail pressure by staying forward (and on the rail) with your knees. You'll plane off on the new
broad reach, even before your sail hooks back up with the wind.

Or, you could just read Mike's Jibe tips, they're excellent.

Good luck,

-Craig

bluesrip@yahoo.com wrote:
Completed most of my jibes but still having trouble planing all the way through the jibe!! I enter the jibe with screaming speed, put foot pressure on inside rail in front of foot strap, spread out hand position on boom, lean forward into jibe, sheet in, etc. The jibe starts out great and I get almost all the way through the jibe and my board just "stops" when I flip the sail. I can still complete the jibe but would be a LOT more fun if I can be planing out of the jibe. Do these things just take time to learn? I'm kind of new to jibing. Any help or ideas? Thanks!!
bluesrip@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for the response!! I now realize that I'm not bending my knees/crouching, I didn't have my forward elbow straightened and I wasn't pushing down on the boom/keeping sail out front. I'll try all of that next time I get out there. Thanks for your help!!

PS - Could someone please send some wind over this way???!!!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're doing the prep right, but the sail flip is definitely the part where it's easiest to lose your speed. My tips are:

1- Flip the sail fast and early while continuing your carve as if you were "surfing" through the turn
2. Keep your weight forward with pressure through your front foot and / or the mast base.

Also- Lake Q is pretty terrible for shortboarding because it's so gusty and shifty. Come on out to Nahant where the wind is much steadier and everything will be easier! I was out at Nahant yesterday and got lots of jibe practice, which I put in a video on my blog.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2012/07/jibefest-at-nahant.html

My regular jibes are going pretty well, but I'm not planing out of my duck jibes yet.

bluesrip@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim!! I'll check out your video. I do get over to Nahant but usually only go when I have more time to sail. Tough to get over there after work with traffic, etc. Quannapowit is less than a mile from my house so it's very convenient for a quick after work session (as long as one doesn't mind the gusty winds).
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I totally understand the convenience factor if Quannapowitt is right in your neighborhood. That 25 minute drive through Lynn to Nahant can be a killer, especially if you only have a little while to sail after work.

I actually had a good time fishing for gusts at Lake Q the other day during the AMC Boston beginner windsurfing event.

I heard that there's a group of longboard racers that have weekly events there through the Quannapowitt Yacht Club. I can't find any info about that online, though. Do you know about it?

bluesrip@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that AMC Boston event too (kind of). I was out there sailing - not participating in the event. I did meet a few of the instructors, though. Very nice folks.

Longboarders used to do something with windsurfing on Wednesday nights at 6:00pm. I'm not sure it was a race or just a get together to zip around the lake. I gotta do a little more research to see if the event still happens on Wednesday nights. I suppose I could just shoot over to the lake tomorrow night and check it out. If I find any info - I'll let you know.
bluesrip@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....Maybe the event is still going on???

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NEWindsurfing/message/125
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are not rounding up to much, bear off going in , and bear off coming out, in other words make a 120 degree turn , not 180 .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: