myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Francisco in October...odds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: San Francisco in October...odds? Reply with quote

I'm getting sent to San Francisco for work in late October, and I've heard so much about sailing there that I'd love to get on the water. I'll just have one free weekend, so I know that a two-day window is tough anywhere, but how is the wind that time of year? Just wondering about my odds.

Also, the place I've found online for rentals so far is Boardsports School. Is that a good place to rent? If you had time for just one session, where would you sail in SF? I can handle pretty much anything conditions-wise so I'm just looking for the quintessential SF experience (even if that involves freezing my butt off while battling strong currents...hehe...I'm up for anything). Thanks for any advice.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that of all the locations on the continent -- maybe the planet -- San Francisco offers your greatest likelihood of finding ... odds. Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While November IS the worst month of the year for SF wind, Oct is not too far behind.
I normally get 15 planing days in Oct at Berkeley, not driving anywhere else. If I actually chose to drive 20 miles, I think I could get 22 days of planing winds, over 17 averages.
But I'm willing to use my 7 meter sails, and 120 liter boards.
But as you say, it's hit or miss for one weekend at any location on earth at any time of the year.
Alameda and CoyotePt. has rentals at their location only.
For Berkeley, you'd have to join the CalSailingClub for 75bucks, prove you can actually windsurf (takes about 1/2 hour), and get to use the gear at Berleley only. At Cal Adventures (Berkeley also), you can rent FanaticSharks up to 145, sails up to 6.5, but they close up near the end of Oct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: