myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trburl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Kiting at the Hatchery? Reply with quote

I have a question for the Gorge wind sports community that no one has been able to answer sufficiently, without prejudice.

If the Hatchery is full on blasting 3.7 and slightly crowded, is it appropriate for Kiters to get up in the Mix, and stay there?

The only experience I have with this scenario is at Hookipa. Where if it's choke with surfers, you don't really want to be that lone windsurfer going out because there is a good chance you'll have a handful of heavy mofo's looking to chat with you. It just won't be tolerated.

In the land of Measure 11 Oregon, it's not really the same scenario, because the reality is that you could get pounded for doing that on Maui. Here, not so much, and it shows.

So, whats the answer? Is it legit?

Can you go kiting at the Hatchery when it's lit, and crowded?
riv2511

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former long time windsurfer now kiter (8 years +) It s time for the windsurf crowd to realise that kiting is here to stay and is still growing.. Kiters have limited access to launch and land.. As kiters ability improves the desire to get to the best possible swell/wind grows. We have to kite upwind from the event site/sandbar which has pretty much the worst wind on the whole river.. If you see kiters ripping the Hatch there is a good reason.. We are at an advanced level and there is no need to worry about safety or any issues other than the fact that there will be less swells to be ridden.. There are people that don't belong there kiting just like there are people that dont belong there windsurfing... So the way I see it is that there should be positive vibes from the kite and windsurf crew all the way around... If you don't like it then be a pioneer and find a new spot to sail!!!!
willysurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry riv2511 but I've never seen a kiter "ripping" anywhere and neither have you. You all look like beginners out there, even those of you who are spancered pro-bros. Sorry but it's true.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree. Kiters at 50 feet when they're not carving the huge swell all day when it's averaging 35 with gusts to 50 is ripping in my book, and getting passed by one when I'm maxed out on a broad reach is also pretty persuasive.

I don't see the other 98% doing either.
riv2511

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude quit being so bitter!!!!!!!!!!! Differnet strokes for different folks....

Google Ben Wilson,Josh Mulcoy,Bear Keary,Kai Lenny windsurfer/kiter/sup er and you will realise that The sport has come a long way in a short period of time.. I have HUGE respect for Polokow,Siver,Naish,Ordonez etc as far as Wavesailors go...

Both sports RULE so open your mind and smile the next time you see a kiter getting after it!!!!

You don't own the river and neither do I.. I just want to get the goods also and not get heckeled by close minded people like yourself..

Keep in mind that if kiting did not come along and SUP you probably would not be able to buy anyy windsurfing gear!!! Pure Fact!!!!!!
surfersteve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sailed the Hatch today on a lit 3.7 day. Two kiters between the point and the rock cove area. Both were strong kiters and definitely looked around to stay out of the way of me and a number of other sailors. Closer to Wells Island there were a lot more kites getting some good swell. These guys never dropped their lines in the water either. last year it was a cluster at the Hatch. Guys with no business being there dropping their lines and having trouble getting going again. It took up a big chunk of river where so many had to avoid their lines. There seems to be quite a lot of river between Wells and Swell City. If I were a kiter I would avoid the main area between the point and the rocky cove just so I wouldn't have to deal with being so careful for masts. Just an idea. And honestly the best swelling is usually not right in that area anyway.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the Kiters can sail (or is it Kite?) there. Especially if they have the skills to get there and back from the Event site. I take issue with ones doing tricks right outside the launch, but then again most of us have issues with windsurfers doing the same thing. A cool kiter is a cool kiter. A jerk is a jerk no matter what holds them on the water.

Like the kiter today who decided to do a twisting jump RIGHT in front of my path causing me to turn to avoide him.... Jerk....

To the kiter who gave me that thumbs up after I splated on one of my jibes by the bridge... Cool.....

As long as we all look where we are going, BEFORE we go there, I'll share the water with any kiter or windsurfer as long as they feel the same way....
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much prefer to share the beach with female models posing naked for photo shoots..... but that's just me? I've never had an issue with kiters.... they be cool too!
willysurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bitter...dude...but just sick and tired of almost getting clobbered every time I sail by some idiot kiter who is out of control or blindly doing some ghey ass wakeboard trick.

The fact is that the two sports are really not compatible in tight quarters like the Hatch. If you don't like getting heckled, then don't kite there because all you are doing is getting in the way an being a dooosh. Pure Fact!!!!!!
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with most of the kiters at the Hatchery as long as they have the skills to stay in control and the courtesy to leave a little buffer room around themselves. I actually find it easier to windsurf among the kiters than a crowded pack of windsurfers. At least the kiters stay far enough apart that there is usually space to sail between them. I get more scared when facing 3-4 windsurfers heading straight at me trying to figure out who is going where and which gap to sneak through.
When I start to get fed up with the crowds (kites or windsurfers) I'll go upwind or downwind to find more room. You can't expect everyone else to move and leave the best swells for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: