myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riv2511

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing #'s are shrinking. Major companies are making more $$$ selling sups than kiting gear and windsurfing gear combined... Not trying to diss windsurfing.. I was my passion since 1980 when I got my first Mistral Malibu.. In reality our sports are minute compared to other sports. People spend more money on tailgate parties than we have spent on windurfing/kite gear over the years.. Sad but true...

When you see jane Parker and Dave Russel kiting it makes you wonder..

Again Windsurfing is an amazing sport.. No doubt. It is our own choice on how we ride the river and not bash anyone for the board they are riding..
trburl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, the majority of the answers, were actually NOT prejudiced.

Mission accomplished.

I am an intermediate surfer, and a beginning kiter. I am down to get better at both. However, you're not gonna see me dropping in at Seaside point surfing, or tucked up against the jettys on the Coast with the ripping kiter's. Not yet anyway. I'll pay my dues with the kooks, where I belong presently.

Sharing, it's the name of the game and I am down to do it. We all should be. But the simple fact of the matter, is that there isn't always enough room to do it. There are hard and fast rules for that on Maui, where Real Enforcement, not law enforcement, can handle it.

Dropping in on someone on Maui comes with a potential price, the Gorge? hahahahahahahaha. OMG, I'm seriously still laughing at that, all the wealthy privileged white folk in the Gorge, throwing down next to their Volvo wagons. Ok, sorry, I digress.

I am not a proponent of @$$ beatings for being in the wrong place at the wrong time on the Columbia River. However, if you are one of those "riders", that feels it's all share and share alike, you're coming for your swell, regardless of conditions, you're just not realistic.

And unfortunately, currently, you are allowed to be at the Hatchery. All I am really hoping to find out, is, whats the etiquette here folks? And can we all, like the Riders on Maui, come up with a legit plan that everyone is aware of, instead of a loosely pissed off undercurrent that isn't addressing the root of the issue, overcrowding.

It's an ancient issue, as in millennial. Resources get used up by humans, drinking water, food, rippable swell, it's all the same.

We have rules for the other resources, why not get some real, politely enforceable ones for the Hatchery?
riv2511

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the kiters that are at the Hatch have paid their dues and have been doing it for years.. I did not go to the Hatch the first time I learned to stay upwind on C-kites that had no range.. It took years. I did not windsurf @ Hookipa until I logged 50-60 days at the Coast and 15 trips to San Carlos..

It's all just simple common sense!!!!!

For years I kited unless I could sail my 4.2 powered no schlogging and then kept my 3.5 for the good days and chose to kite unless it was like Monday.. Then kites got better and companies made small enough kites to handle 30-40 mph winds.. I choose to kite because in my opinion it is closer to Surfing which I have been doing since I was a Grom..

The point at the Hatch is not where I want to kite.. Too crowded.. But the section between the tunnels and the Fish hatchery proper are where the best wind and swell is..

Try it out the next time you sail strong wind..

When my wife was learning to windsurf we went to the Event Site.. I would sail to the Hatch every day.. It is a great stretch of river that is not crowded.... But the goods are up past Wells Island..

I think everyone is just freaking out because the wind has been confined to the corridor.. The last 2 months have been epic @ Arlington and I would rather drive an hour to kite there than have a bunch of angry people who have never even flown a kite.. Try it you might like it... Shure beats rip-slog windsuffering on the holey lighter wind days...
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riv2511 wrote:

a bunch of angry people who have never even flown a kite.. Try it you might like it... ...

ive been kiting since '99, i still dont think kiting belongs anywhere in a busy crowd, on the water or on a beach. more to go wrong, and bigger impact on other users when things do go wrong..
now i mostly windsurf again, and only kite if its light, and no crowds.
and ya kiting can be fun, but windsurfing i think offers more challenges.

yargerd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kite and windsurf. I enjoy both, a lot. I was up at the hatch and jousted with that strapless douche-nozzle that Mike identified with the pics. Anyone that goes to the Gorge "Holy Grail" of WINDSURFING to kite and constantly looses their board in the funzone is a complete and total A$$HOLE. He was dragging around like a floater-turd-on-a-string for about two hours chasing his oh-so-with-the-times strapless board (shaka breh).

I've kited from the event site up to Swell City plenty of times. There are TONS of spots with great swell that are easy to get to on a kite that don't involve dozens of windsurfers. Kiters need to take their board-shorts and their hip, strapless boards to one of these other spots to be completely and totally awesome. They can even have a buddy with a GoPro catch the sweet hits so that they can post to their blog (sick breh). Then mommy can also tell them that they are the most handsome boy in school.

Charge these a$$holes away from the point! Don't give them any room.[/quote]
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yargerd and W8n4wind. I, too, kite and windsurf. Even though I could "handle" the conditions at the point on either, I get that some places should be the domain of the true experts. Skiing, I just about blow a gasket when I see some snowboarder side-sliding down a pow filled chute. Same thing.

Kiters should stay out of the mix at that spot on a crowded day. So should the run of the mill windsurfers. I sailed there a couple times, but only early or late in the day when I could stay out of the way.
jakeike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, SERIOUSLY??? And just which one of you owns the river? Oh, thats right NONE OF U
Share the stoke bro's not the hate.
Doesnt matter what you ride, where you ride or how you ride....just show the love and consideration to your brother and all will enjoy Smile
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakeike....Your're correct of course. Those windsurfers don't "own the river". But, as you say...a little consideration goes a long way. I would say taking big air on a strapless board in the middle of the rotation at the point is not very considerate...

I have never dropped my kite in any windsurfers path. It is possible. "Sharing the stoke" extends to that too.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I state the obvious. It is not about who OWNS the river. No one does. We don't really enjoy the long lines of fish net buoys either. At least they are stationary and you can avoid them. My point is that if you are having to constantly look around you and at your lines while flying toward the point, how much fun can that be? Cheap is usually very uncrowded except by a few friends who know this secret and sail there all the time. The area between Wells and the cove is also pretty wide open also. So why launch yourself 30 feet over the water right where everyone launches to windsurf and jibe? Especially with a board not attached to you. It's not the board hitting anyone I worry about. It's the catching up to it, getting the kite ready, getting reattached to the board...
I do agree that obnoxious calling people out is uncalled for, but I was there watching and it was pretty hilarious in a surreal sort of way.
puppydog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solution looking for a problem

Last edited by puppydog on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: