myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I guess I totally misunderstood your point, it was all the PFD and whistle and Kite boards are the same as SUPs talk.

gorgekite wrote:
the only point I was try to make was to the people who want to use marine right of way rules in the surf.

Yeh, that would just be plain crazy and probably dangerous. ;*)

-Craig
mirkef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a good kiter and windsurfer. I tolerate both ways. Myself I have decided that I will not go to the Hatch when I am kiting for two reasons, I don't like the trouble of launching there and I can find plenty of space down or upwind if I want to shred the swells. I'd rather do a Viento downwinder than launch at the hatch.
When I windsurf in the ocean like Waddell I am only annoyed with kiters downwind of me who can point more upwind and don't see me. That is annoying especially when you are schlogging to catch a wave and want to start doing a bottom turn down the wave - always some kite dude comes in from downwind of you on the same wave carving upwind looking at you smiling, but not realizing I am about to head straight on top of him. I found that annoying at Waddell where it can get crowded, there are a lot of intermediates with surfboards that don't really ride the waves coming in. They just come in riding upwind till hit the beach and turn. Kiters are more mobile in wave riding and can change and adjust their position easier.
I wish they are more aware of the different windsurfing behavior on the waves.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At what point does swell become surf?"

I find hard to believe that this question is being asked. You know, you ought to take a long drive to the coast when the surf is up, and then watch the surf for a while. If you want to windsurf in the waves, you have to make it out through the lineup before you can turnaround and ride the waves in. Going out is totally different experience than riding in. That's a whole lot different than sailing the swell in the Gorge. In the Gorge, there isn't a real impact zone to contend with. Next time you're at the supermarket, check out a surf magazine, and look for some waves breaking top to bottom, and ask yourself whether you can find that in the Gorge.
puppydog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "swell vs wave" debate is better than the "wsurfer vs the kiter" debate!
robguidera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Hatch today and it was crowded with windsurfers and sailors. Sharing the water is fine but a few kiters bogart the best swell - we sail Maui often too and the kiters take turns on the waves so no hassle - maybe we can share the waves and water - that would be cool- Sharon
loosescrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been pretty workable with the kiters but Sharon is correct that they tend to bogart the swell below the cove instead of kicking out and sharing. If there is no one around I like to bogart too and hit some sequence turns but most times it's about letting others get some too. I find the Wsurfers and kiters are both really selfish people.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Windsurfers and Kiters I know personally, are pretty selfless,
maybe you're just hanging out with a bad crowd ;*). Also, I've been
mixing it up with the Kiters in the swell below the cove lately. I got
a few crusty looks until they realized I was competent, then all good.

-Craig

loosescrew wrote:
It's been pretty workable with the kiters but Sharon is correct that they tend to bogart the swell below the cove instead of kicking out and sharing. If there is no one around I like to bogart too and hit some sequence turns but most times it's about letting others get some too. I find the Wsurfers and kiters are both really selfish people.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crusty looks" from newcomers to the scene? Surely you jest! That's like mountain bikers giving dirt bikers "crusty looks" on Moab's Slickrock Trail, snowboarders giving skiers "crusty looks", or WSers giving surfers crusty looks on Maui. They need to get over themselves.
trudyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At what point does swell become surf?"

At this point, as shown by Tom Burlingame

swell_versus_waves.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.54 KB
 Viewed:  18021 Time(s)

swell_versus_waves.jpg

tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That's like mountain bikers giving dirt bikers "crusty looks" on Moab's Slickrock Trail

When I rode Moab's Slickrock Trail in the 90's, there were no motorized vehicles allowed... on other "trails", yes, but not on the Slickrock Trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: