myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiter or Windsurfer at the Hatch, all your swells are belong to me.

-Craig
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kite, on occasion. More often in La Ventana or Hatteras than I do here, but I'll probably hit the sandbar once every couple weeks or so. If you look through my post history, you'll find me generally supportive of shared access.

My take?

All but the best kiters (and even that might be pushing it) should be strongly discouraged from riding the the point at the Hatch when it's lit up 3.7 and packed. A cold has kept me off the water the last two days, but I have been hearing some horror stories of major kookdom from the Kodak Point crew.

Having a kiter in the mix that seems dangerous and irresponsible throws off the vibe, the rotation - there's more stress on the water. For that matter, having a windsurfer who doesn't know what they're doing in that mix does the same thing.

In regards to the windsurfers doing tricks right off the point... why do you think they sail the hatch? Because of the uniqueness of the set up. That flat water is a freestyler's dream. Of COURSE that's where they're going to do tricks.

4.7/5.0 days with light crowds? Let everyone come play. Days like Monday? If a kiter's doin laps at the Hatch and in general mucking things up, getting in the way of good ramps, or drifting DOWN the river while everyone's going ACROSS the river, I've got no trouble barking at 'em and sending 'em off to a different part of the river.

Oh yeah, and to the kiter who does those terrible dangle-jumps right in the jibatorium then drops his kite and everyone has to wait while he gets his kite back in the air - dude, you can dangle jump in the middle of the river. Keep that shit over to the far side.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Kite photos Reply with quote

Shot some photos of the kite action at Kodak Pt. yesterday. The guy was actually an awesome kiter especially on a strapless board but he was often losing his board in the high winds.

More photos:
http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4678762_6445888#imageID=162224003

Mike Godsey

Kiteissues.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1019.39 KB
 Viewed:  14801 Time(s)

Kiteissues.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's that board go when he loses it? One injury or gear ding and he's going to lose in court ... just like kiters or WSers who land on someone.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:

In regards to the windsurfers doing tricks right off the point... why do you think they sail the hatch? Because of the uniqueness of the set up. That flat water is a freestyler's dream. Of COURSE that's where they're going to do tricks.

Josh I've reread the post several times and couldn't find anybody saying this. So I assume you are responding to me. I was referring to the cove and you assumed the point. We need to work in our communication Smile I would be trying some freestyle if I sailed up there also but I would mess up their rotation also by falling all the time Smile
willysurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the comedic shots. That guy looks like a total bozo. Did someone throw a rock at him from the point in the last pic? Hilarious...
riv2511

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on a crowded day kiters should avoid the point to cove stretch at the Hatch.. In fact anyone who doesn't like crowds and the I'm better than you attitude does not hang there.. Glad to hear most people except for 1 have learned to share the river with kiteboarders.. The guy in the pics is a ripper and even the best guys riding strapless will loose their board from time to time.. I would rather have a small surfboard hit me than a tomohawking windsurf rig any day.. Looks windy for a while in the corridor so be happy and don't be a hater!!!!
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnl - yah, my bad, I did assume that. Your comment spurred my memory of having a mind-boggling conversation either here or elsewhere about the whiz-flippy freestyle kids "hogging" the point or "showing off". It's some of the highest level of windsurfing in the western hemisphere, and I think it's friggin awesome that it happens in our own backyard.

And for that matter, that entire crew is pretty supportive of ANYONE trying freestyle.

Personally, I haven't launched down by the Cove in three years or more, so I consider myself completely uninformed as to the vibe of things downwind.

BAHAHAHA - that shame face the kiter is doing in front of Rob is pretty hilarious.

To all Hatch sailors: I encourage us to welcome kiters on light-wind, low-crowd days. When it's windy, and super-packed, and a kiter is being a serious nuisance/causing potential danger, I think it's all of our responsibility to kindly inform them that they're better off elsewhere. Feel free to interpret "kindly" as you will depending on the circumstances/actions of said kiter.

If you look at the surfing world, this is how it works. Small, shitty waves? I take my SUP wherever I want. I share waves. When it's on and 3 prone paddlers are scratching for every swell? That's when I GTFO.

PS - did anybody see Tyson, Bryan and Casey on the retro gear last Sunday?!

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.39.24 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  810.94 KB
 Viewed:  14689 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.39.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.38.57 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  684.86 KB

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.38.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.38.30 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  685.05 KB

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 9.38.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 11.26.46 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  672.51 KB

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 11.26.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 11.26.36 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  720.47 KB

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 11.26.36 AM.png

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a windsurfer and bitter about kites you are going to become a lot more bitter this year. Many, if not most converted windsurfers like myself are now riding directionals and we ride swell like we used to on a sailboard. Worse, the swell at the WS bridge is pretty much toast so guess where we will be. I was one of the kites sailing with some windsurfers and it was a total blast being on the same swell with stoked folks. I gave way a lot as its easier for me to stop and go. Not a problem. Jumping in crowds? Not my deal and I think jumping a twin tip in a swell spot is a waste of terrain. Like setting up a kicker in Heather Canyon on a powder day. Not my thing, but i can easily work around them. Honestly though, you get the same aggressive behavior from sailors at the point. Loops all over the place with the occasional rig jettison. One of the reasons I started kiting in 2000 was due to the crowds at The Hatch--nuts. My last day windsurfing ther was July of 2000 on a big, crowded day. I sliced up to jump a swell as a guy upwind of me slashed down. We had a bad collision. Body's okay but gear not. Both of us at fault.

A crowd is a crowd

If any of the posters here are the dude that was charging and cussing at a group of kites doing a down winder and just passing through, at The Hatchery all you will accomplish is pissing folks off. You will not intimidate, or scare folks away. One of the kites you charged was on the Oregon side. You rode all the way across the river out of the swell zone to be an angry jerk? He is a long time owner of a local shop that caters to windsurfers and kiters, by the way. The other guy you told to f$8$$ off is a MD from Pdx. You then asked him if he wanted to "go right now?" Go where? Lunch date? Catch a movie and a drink then maybe some back rubs?

Showing off? Are you joking? The Hatchery is "Look at me!" central. It has been since 1985 when The Duke, Bruce, Kay, Tony , Sgt Loop et etc etc used to do their thing. Then came the younger riders from HI and so on. Impressive riding, fun to watch if you enjoy watching.

A jerk is a jerk

Everyone loses their cool from time to time. Myself included. I called a guy out at cheap the other day who completely did not deserve it. He was classy enough to ask me to call him. I did, and apologized. Felt good. Really good, in fact.

Epiphanies happen
puppydog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't handle a " double black diamond" sailing/kiting spot you should not be there,I have been kiting @ the Hatchery for 13 years now,not one single incident, a few years prior got nailed in the balls right off the point while wsurfing, good thing it was a rubber nosed Mistral, see you on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: