myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New guys needs a little help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchretien12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: New guys needs a little help Reply with quote

So i know very little about wind surfing but i would like to get into the sport. I was wondering what would be the best steps to get into the sport as far as lessons or no lessons. I was also wondering where the best place to get used gear would be if i was going to try and teach myself.Any information will be greatly appreciated.Thank you
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional lessons are worth any cost. Without knowing where you are, we can't help you find them or gear.

Mike \OO/
cchretien12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im located in North Attleboro Mass which ins roughly 15 min from providence.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the local AMC does some beginner lessons a couple times a year for reasonable cost.

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/amcbos-windsurf/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=10

Sailworld in Buzzards bay does beginner lessons as well. They also sell used gear, although if you get into the sport, getting a used board on Craiglists will be the cheapest option. Just a matter of waiting for something suitable, ie wide and with daggerboard.

as an FYI, Fogland Beach in Tiverton is a great place to learn.
Protected, shallow cove in S/SW wind. From Attelboro, probably 45" drive.

lessons are going to be very helpful as a beginner.
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I largely learned without lessons, relying on Peter Hart's series of DVDs (starting with Windsurfing FUNdamentals). But lessons are helpful if you can afford them. After a couple of years of sailing I went to ABK clinic and got lots of pointers on sailing which I still rely on to this day. You can also rely on other windsurfers at the beach. For example, if you go to Fogland, as has been suggested, there is usually a bunch of guys there and you can get tips for free.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up chris, good to see you on here, welcome! check out this post which has been going on for a little bit . A lot of local stuff to breeze by (pun intended) but some good overall tips and info

https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25075
edoremus337

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I third Fogland, if its not too far. Shallow, warm water. best on a north wind for beginners
cchretien12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i do decide to go the route of teaching myself what kind of equipment will i need to start.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the best strategy is to take lessons, as others have said. This way you get to use well suited beginner gear that you will hopefully quickly outgrow. Then you can look for gear to buy to get to the next level.

If you insist on doing this all on your own then you need to buy a big wide beginner board, like this:
http://2006.star-board.com/products/rio.asp

I see one available at Sailworld in Bourne:

http://www.sailworld.com/!used_gear/used_boards.html
[I don't know why this link keeps breaking itself--just copy the whole line]

Note: This Starboard Rio is a classy beginner board that will also perform nicely as you progress into the intermediate skills stage. This type of board would get you going with a small sail very easily at the beginner stage. Then you can put larger and larger sails on it as you get better.

For a sail to start out with, a 4.0 - 5.0 square meter size would be good (unless you are very large and strong--then you might start with say a 6.0). If you succeed at learning and then want to get going faster, you'll want a bigger sail then. Depending on your weight (what is it??) you might then go for a 6.0 - 6.5 sail at that stage (or bigger if you are large). But first you have to know that you like the sport, so don't get too far ahead yet.

I could help you out with a nice 5.0 Simmer wave sail for learning for cheap money ($50). After you learn on this it would make an excellent high wind sail should you become skilled enough. You'd need a mast and boom too, a car rack (unless you have a van or truck), and some miscellaneous odds and ends . I might suggest spending a bit for a nice used mast. I could help you out with that too--say a 430 cm length 70% carbon wave mast that would work nicely in the beginner 5.0 I'd sell you…and further down the road this same mast could be perfect for a 6.0 - 6.5 sail, for your next step. (The trick here is that my 5.0 sail is older, when they used longer masts, and a modern 6.0 or 6.5 would use this same length mast today as the older 5.0.) I have some booms too for not much money. If you really want to do all this you can PM me. Though again, it'd be easier to take a lesson or two to see if you really like this sport.

Bob
cchretien12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 5 foot 9 and around 200 pounds. I would be interested in the things that you have bob once I get my a little bit more money I will definitely send you a pm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: