myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Will the wind ever return to the East Coast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daviddk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you poor,poor people. I SO don`t miss waiting for wind and surf on the E.Coast. I feel jaded these days when I have to resort to a 4.2 in the Gorge. It just feels HUGE. My condolences.
gmclean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been visiting family on Waquoit Bay the past 2 weeks and have had a few good days of south or SW wind. Nothing epic but enough to get planing on 7meter sails and big boards in the afternoon. Nice steady sea breezes have been great for teaching the kids to sail. I think we finally have a few of them hooked after their first planning rides Very Happy
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sunset Ned's session was fun last night. Some licks of fog came in with the wind at 6:00. Nice blasting on 6.6 until 7:30.

George, I've enjoyed your Gorge forecasting in the past. Glad you're enjoying our corner of the country!
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm interesting. I looked at the three graphs from yesterday, for Buzzards Bay. West Falmouth seems to show the most accurate of what happened. Including the drop off of wind around 5pm when I left..uggh!
West Island shows almost a straight graph, and Neds point shows the gusts
picking up, when you were out. Just trying to get some data points, of the meters to what's actually on the water. I think the direction would also play into this. A very nice place to sail, just tough for me to figure out , if it's good enough to go there instead of the outer cape.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If West Island is showing a nice graph you can almost always get to that wind from Ned's. I was on my 120 liter board so no worries about the inside slog back. The wind was coming off Mattapoisett Neck and filling in to not too far from the launch. The slog was only 1/3 out to Strawberry Pt. when I came in.

Earlier in the afternoon the quality of the West Island graph was not as nice (up and down). There was planing wind out there at times, for our rigged sails, but nobody was willing to go out that far in the up and down puffy conditions I suspect. The licks of fog at 6:00 were a nice clue that the wind meant business then, and you could see that it had come in closer.

Last edited by shreddbob on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will the average windsurfer get an education? Sail size isn't wind speed. It is a highly self-centered (subjective for the political correct) measurement. Use of it really tells us nothing unless we know something about you.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaherty wrote:
Just trying to get some data points, of the meters to what's actually on the water. I think the direction would also play into this. A very nice place to sail, just tough for me to figure out , if it's good enough to go there instead of the outer cape.

I sailed last evening (8/3/12) in North Truro (bay side). I found the Provincetown meter to be about right. Blowing 15-17 mph with gusts to 20 or so. I was 7.5 planing (and easing off the power on the gusts). Details for Sailingjoe (160 lbs, 125L, 32 Reaper weed, twin cambered, front strap near the rail, but back strap in the center). Nice time ... though wish it wasn't low tide (long sand bar walk to home).

Sunday afternoon is looking pretty good!
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
When will the average windsurfer get an education? Sail size isn't wind speed. It is a highly self-centered (subjective for the political correct) measurement. Use of it really tells us nothing unless we know something about you.

Diplomacy, Brucie, diplomacy.

Speaking of knowing something about you, I'm surprised that nobody has posted the link to your little adventure with the authorities in Florida.
gmclean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
Glad you're enjoying our corner of the country!

I was lucky enough to grow up sailing on Waquoit Bay. Great place to learn to windsurf. Warm salt water sure feels good!

Hope the Fall winds kick in for you guys soon.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something must be wrong with the computer models!!! Look what it is showing. How could this be? Rolling Eyes

Something_must_be_wrong.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.99 KB
 Viewed:  13136 Time(s)

Something_must_be_wrong.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: