myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Will the wind ever return to the East Coast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasrer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scored an hour in Lewis Bay in 28-35 wound on a 5.0.

Came in just in time for it to drop.

so I got that going for me........

hope you got on a plane, too.

ed.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Wind, glorious wind! Reply with quote

Wind returned to the upper Hudson Valley. Not real big, but way more than we've had in over a month. Fortunately wind and tide were perfect all afternoon with winds to mid 20's. Cool
mistral10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers still low this week on the North Shore. Though I think we'll reach 12 mph today.

This forecast is for the Beverly MA airport but wind speeds around the ocean tend to be stronger.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.55770&lon=-70.8405&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
Hurl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this wind praying will come to an end around Labor day.When the annual predicted Hurricanes will Kick our Butts. Hope we survive, The water has been extremely warm to fuel the storms as well. Hope we can get the Hatteras Wave Jam off this year. VA-13
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out calema, in merritt island florida. oh, it never blows down here, right?

july 25th thru 29th

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=250&siteID=289&Isection=Last+7+Days

my wave spots up around the north side of cape canaveral participated in these sea breezes. too bad the swell didn't stick around.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those graphs look somewhat lame to me. You had winds in the afternoon that were marginal, right?
mistral10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The winds were stronger along the coast.

Turns out Magic Seaweed had a better forecast:

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the relativity: on charts like that, i and friends of mine are lit up on 7.5's, to 6.0's depending on our sizes and boards in that kind of wind. yet, some folks that i know think those charts are lame? not just some i'd rather not know. this need for sensors showing gales to get people excited about windsurfing is the core of our dwindling sport?

the handful of friends that showed and shared great sessions were worth all the extra due diligence and leaps of faith.

i just don't understand the culture, i guess.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you will get a good afternoon session in those winds. However, the likelihood that you are in such good shape that you will sail all five afternoons in a row would be next to null. Consequently, that gives you one or two good sessions if you live near the Banana R. Now, you will have to wait for a month or two for the next breath of fresh air. I know what the deep south is like. You can sit for weeks and swelter with no breeze. Yesterday I saw a kite surfer down at Wacko Bay. I didn't think there was enough wind for my 11 meter to plane, though. However, I could have gone out and "free-styled". Last Th., a week ago, we had a "windy" day which I opted not to sail as I thought it would be too gusty/stormy. I regret that I didn't. You can check the charts for it. However, a little more than a week ago I did sail with my 9.6 non-planing. Some of the lighter fellows were planing. I had a good work session practicing my tacks and gybes. You can't generalize about the East coast.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
here's the relativity: on charts like that, i and friends of mine are lit up on 7.5's, to 6.0's depending on our sizes and boards in that kind of wind. yet, some folks that i know think those charts are lame? not just some i'd rather not know. this need for sensors showing gales to get people excited about windsurfing is the core of our dwindling sport?

the handful of friends that showed and shared great sessions were worth all the extra due diligence and leaps of faith.

i just don't understand the culture, i guess.

Well John, I'm just glad you guys scored. So I can live vicariously through you.
My timing has been off for about a month. When it get’s windy I’m either already out on the boat or I just can’t get to the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: