myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
cell phone plans: best/worst Gorge/Coast - CONCLUSION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: No cell phone, no problems!! Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late chiming in here, been doing some world travels. Was trying to hook up with a good cell phone device and service here in the Gorge since I live and windsurf here. Been with T-Mo, Verizon and AT&T so maybe I can offer some free lessons for ya.

First, I will never again do business with AT&T or Verizon as they have both proven to be dirty dogs in a very corrupt business. You can never trust what they promise to do. To put it simply.... they lie, cheat and steal to get your business.

Second, never buy a phone at Walmart. They claim to offer a great return policy, but that's only for the phone.... not the plan or the card. I recently made the mistake of buying the AT&T GoPhone (prepaid) at Walmart and they didn't scan the phone properly but I was charged. AT&T assumed I had stolen the phone because it wasn't scanned properly, so they switched the service off. I tried today to return the phone and the prepaid card in Hood River, but Walmart will not refund for the prepaid card, only the phone. problem is you must have the prepaid card ($25 - $100) in order to find out if the $14 phone works. It's a scam!

As a result, I've decided not to go with ANY cell phone service and it's really worked out very nice.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No cell phone, no problems!! Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
but Walmart will not refund for the prepaid card, only the phone. problem is you must have the prepaid card ($25 - $100) in order to find out if the $14 phone works. It's a scam!

Well Pete, sounds like your problem is Walmart, not AT&T. I have had the At&T Go phone for at some 10 years and never had a problem, but I go to the AT&T store (Hood River or The Dalles for prepaid cards. And the service is good airtime service is good here and Maui. WalMart is not the best place to shop for technical things.

Mike
in2surfn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT&T has one redeeming factor that keeps me with them, their service in Baja is seamless, cheap, and works in the strangest of places. As much as I hate them I will stick with them until another company can offer me better Mexico service.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No cell phone, no problems!! Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike wrote:
WMP wrote:
but Walmart will not refund for the prepaid card, only the phone. problem is you must have the prepaid card ($25 - $100) in order to find out if the $14 phone works. It's a scam!

sounds like your problem is Walmart, not AT&T.

Mike

I originally went directly to AT&T to purchase a data plan a few weeks ago and found online a deal that I would be interested in... 3 GB for $30 a month. I went into the AT&T store and both sales people confirmed this plan was available just as I had seen online. We started the process of signing up for this plan when the guy suddenly said it wasn't available according to his computer, but don't worry...... he will take care of me and call the AT&T office. BUT FIRST, I needed to sign up for 5 GB for $50 a month, then he would change the plan to the cheaper plan. Right, uhhh-huh? Went ahead and signed up for the more expensive plan. He then calls his head office and they inform him there is no such plan. Then he starts trying to keep me on this more expensive plan by saying I really should get this other plan. A classic bate & switch from AT&T..... those dirty dogs. I said "no way" and ended the contract and walked out..... I will never again go to an AT&T store.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason to DROP your wireless carrier.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

Yes, another set of eyes to see why you're not at work today.... really, why are you windsurfing at Doug's?
anthwind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in2surfn wrote:
AT&T has one redeeming factor that keeps me with them, their service in Baja is seamless, cheap, and works in the strangest of places. As much as I hate them I will stick with them until another company can offer me better Mexico service.

Could you please explain how you get the cheap part in Mexico. I am very interested on how you did it and cost.

thanks

Anthony
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the convenience of ATT if you travel international much. My job takes me to Europe from time to time and because it is a GSM phone it works seamlessly over there. I have also used it in various parts of Mexico. In both cases you can sign up for temporary travel plans with ATT which reduces the cost of calls when out of the US, but it is still expensive. I usually get the international data plan also which is surprisingly cheap. ATT pro-rates the plan so you only pay for the days you need it.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good windsurfing buddy of mine took his family to Indonesia and gave me some great advise about world travel and phone plans. The best connections are through the internet with services such as Skype. Sure enough, I found connecting by phone via wifi around the world very easy, convenient, and super clear...... and it's FREE!!

Why would you pay a corrupt company like AT&T or Verizon for this service?
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:

True, you can always hunt down a Wifi hotspot. You can do the same with your home internet service provider and never pay for home network service either. What you pay for with ATT, or any cell phone company, or with your ISP, is convenience. If you don't care about convenience and mobility, by all means just use free Wifi.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
WMP wrote:

True, you can always hunt down a Wifi hotspot. You can do the same with your home internet service provider and never pay for home network service either. What you pay for with ATT, or any cell phone company, or with your ISP, is convenience. If you don't care about convenience and mobility, by all means just use free Wifi.

With all due respect, it's not a matter of hunting down a hotspot, it's simply a matter of getting into the habit of using the FREE resources that are available most everywhere in the world. I traveled to some of the most remote parts of Laos, one of the poorest countries in the world, I stayed in some of the cheapest accommodations who offered the best, fastest wifi connections I've ever seen. Free wifi is available most everywhere you stay and eat in the world, there's free wifi all over the city of Hood River and Stevenson. When I go windsurfing, I really don't want the connection to the outside world anyway..... so why pay the high price?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: