myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Double backstrap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting into double outside rear straps, you need power enough to lean OUT and away from the rig, like slalom, and when your butt is over the water, it's easier to load the boom with your hands and then go for the rear strap.
Standing ATOP the board, like freestyle or wave sailors, is NOT conducive to getting into double outside straps. Helps also to use pointer/blade fins.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
The key to getting into the back footstraps on a freeride-race type board is to be totally committed to the harness before one tries to insert the rear foot.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that because I think it's dangerous to hook in before getting into the straps in rough and windy conditions. An experienced sailor can sometimes get away with hooking in first, but for an intermediate it's asking to get catapulted.

I do agree that it's important to make your feet "weightless" to get in the straps. I just think the best way to do that is by hanging or pressing down on the boom to apply "mast base pressure." You can't sail like that for long because it's tiring. You just do it long enough to get in the footstraps, then you hook in.

Having the right size fin on your board also helps with getting in the straps. The further from the center of the board the straps are, the longer the fin has to be.

mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been hooking in first all along and rarely get catapulted, i find it much easier to control everything than trying to keep MFP by pushing down while trying to get my feet in. I have been trying to get in the same way as on the wave board, maybe thats part of the problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The farther forward (within reason) your front foot it, the easier that becomes.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since double outside straps are usually seen on slalom freeride boards, the mast track is usually placed farther forwards than wave boards. Could that forward position make it easier to lean down on the rig and get into the outside rear straps?
My wave board has the mast track about 19" from the center of the front straps.
My slalom/freeride boards get the track at 22" from the center of the front straps, use a bigger, longer boomed sail, and has flatter rockers.
I notice some tricksters put their mast tracks about 17" from the center of the front straps. That makes spinning easy, and getting launched easier.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mast track is definitely farther on the big board, ill have to practice sailing with no weight on the back foot more.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a weird process to get into straps, depending on windspeed for your sail.
Light winds, I'll pump the sail and get into the front straps, bear off down a wavelet, continue pumping, get into harness, then rear straps.
Medium powered, it's a couple pumps (which keep me from getting launched also) front straps, harness, then rear straps.
Strong winds, like solid 33+ and 6 meter sail for this 150lbs'er, it's rear straps first, then front, then harness.
All for safety.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Strong winds ... it's rear straps first

What a concept! Maybe we should start a thread on that heretical technique.

Naaaah. It'll never work. You're just crazy.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big gorilla that I am (5'11" and 150 lbs.), I find it strangely difficult to sail well in winds of 22-33 with a 6 meter sail, how strange?
Oh, I can jibe 100%, never stumble, and plane out of 90% of the jibes, but getting into the straps after jibing, or sailing in a straight line, get's difficult, at best. So I look for the rear straps FIRST and foremost, everything from there much nicer and more comfortable.
Anyone for shoveits?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I look for the rear straps FIRST and foremost, everything from there much nicer and more comfortable.
Anyone for shoveits?

Well, that WAS the most common response I've gotten to that advice. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: