myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge Blow-Out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: The Gorge Blow-Out Reply with quote

Is it really true?
Is the long running Gorge Blow-Out "really" not going to happen?

I haven't followed Gorge racing or organization politics in Hood River... so don't know the "back story".

I know the BlowOut was "on"... and then "off". I know it was with Windfest. I know the USW Nationals were on, then off, but now back on.
Did the BlowOut get "left in the dust"?

If it's true... it's too bad.
And I know it's not a big deal to everyone, and that's fine. But it is cool, that this "marathon" event, has been a very famous (or infamous) event in the Gorge for a VERY long time. And a shame that this tradition doesn't continue.
Greg -
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came down to insurance issues to satisfy the coast guard and corps of engineers.

You know...f'ing attorneys! Working as hard as our politicians to end all fun!
sailworksman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Blowout Reply with quote

Of course if you want to come sail from Stevenson to HR on your own recognizance I'm hearing that DC, the rabbit, will sprung loose sometime before noon on the first day of Windfest.

/Bruce

Last edited by sailworksman on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowout Reply with quote

sailworksman wrote:
Of course if you want to come sail from Stevenson to HR on your own cognizance I'm hearing that DC, the rabbit, will sprung loose sometime before noon on the first day of Windfest.

/Bruce

Will that be on Sat July 7th?

And, if there's no wind on Sat, will you try again on Sun the 8th?

(And yes, I understand... that any fool, meaning me, doing this "is on their own", and better have their own safety net in place.

Thanks !!
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, you've probably already done this, but if not, do the downwinder from Viento to the Event Site and see how you like it. I've done it solo a couple of times... once was really lit-up as I went through Swell & the Hatchery, the other time nicely powered until I reached Swell City, and then had to slog most of the way after that.
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Blowout Reply with quote

sailworksman wrote:
Of course if you want to come sail from Stevenson to HR on your own recognizance I'm hearing that DC, the rabbit, will sprung loose sometime before noon on the first day of Windfest.

/Bruce

And if it isn't an official event, I suppose some kiters could happen to show up there also?
deryck.w

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Blowout Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
sailworksman wrote:

/Bruce

And if it isn't an official event, I suppose some kiters could happen to show up there also?

what time is everyone meeting for the unofficial start in stevenson for the unofficial blowout?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viento to HR - yes, that would be good practice. I did something like that a LONG time ago.
But since I'm so much older now... and weaker... and nursing injuries... and out-of-shape... I think "this might be the time" to try it Smile
Really it's because, it'll be a social thing, and I'll have a personal "safety net"... so I can bail when/if needed.

And yes, I suppose anybody can show up (maybe I should do it with a "wave runner").

Time? I guess all we know, is "before noon"?
Greg -
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if a bunch of "friends" decide to do their own downwind run, and the date and time leak out.

That's how the very first Blowout was started! In 1980, we were going to follow Jim Kehoe to Umatilla for a long windsurfing trek. There were so few windsurfers, everyone knew each other, and we always met together on weekends to windsurf! When we hit Cascade Locks, a group consensus occurred, and us Oregon sailors decided, why leave wind to find wind! Thus the first Gorge Blowout was started (unfortunately, Jim was left alone in Eastern Oregon as no cell phones).

That first year, Jim Melton & Bob Rueter of Gorge Performance, brought the catamaran that picked up all the stray sailors, as no one made it.

It's sad that it has now come down to insurance and liability. It only takes one lawsuit.

Have fun on whatever you all decide, as I don't want to see this event end, it has too much history!

(One of 13 sailors that completed the very first Gorge Blowout in 1981 and a few thereafter! There are at least 5 of us from that event that still windsurf the Gorge)
adcardwell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Gorge blowout Reply with quote

How about piggybacking on the laser gorge blowout regatta July 17th?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: