myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long range windsurfing/camping?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmabadie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a longboard for visiting places not accessible otherwise is a great idea. I did it in the Southern Lakes in Argentina (Patagonia) long time ago and it was a fantastic experience. i did not carry camping gear though. You need a longboard with a daggerboard and plenty of flotation volume. The more voume the more you can carry. And you want the daggerboard so you can go easy upwind. Mistral Equipe or similar is the board you want for this.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS, what type paddle do you stow on your longboard and how and where is it attached? Do you have a picture?
kursatu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an expedition windsurfer that reportedly can be sailed, supped
and carry some caping gear.
http://adventurewindsurfing.blogspot.com/p/product-reviews.html
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool, I'm curious about how to attach a paddle to my windsup.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle - The principle is simple but the fixing can cause problems. The paddles have to be secure and unable to clatter about on deck, or break free, yet easily and quickly detachable for use.

Most longboards have some fixing point at the front. On the Bamba for example, there is a bracket. I fasten a rope to that bracket, and tie the other end to the front of the mast track. Since there was no anchor point there it was necessary to drill a couple of holes in the alloy flats and fasten a short rope loop to which the other rope can be tied. (You can't fasten it to the U.J. unless you leave it fixed in that position - which is what I do on the Kona.)

I use a standard STRONG kayak paddle split in the middle (you can split an alloy shafted paddle yourself and nake a firm fixing method with a spot of D.I.Y.) so that the two halves can be laid on top of each other. I fasten rubber loops to the rope, motor bike innertube loop padded with neoprene to slide the paddle blades into (to front of board) and smaller padded loops to slide over the shaft ends. The paddles are then easily and quickly able to be whipped out and joined together for use, with nothing to have to undo. (They can also be split and easily slipped back in again.)

There are two problems. 1) stopping them bouncing about and clattering on the deck, which is why neoprene padding and a tight rope fixing are necessary. 2) Making sure the rubbers grip them firmly enough to stop them breaking free if the board is feeling lively. It's just a matter of trial and error to get the balance right.

The longest I ever had to paddle was just over 3 hours. (That sounds bad, but it's not . since I'm a kayaker.) I 'd plodded out to a Scottish island in a light breeze which just died the moment I got there. In such a case you can either de-rig and sit on everything while paddling back, or, as I did, hope some breeze will return and leave the sail rigged. In that case you simply drop the boom over the back of the board (usually over the back footstraps) sit in front of the mast track facing the back of the board and paddle it fin first with your legs beneath the sail, balancing it all with your feet. (To stop the rig sliding off the board into the water.) Unfortunately, the was a smooth long swell, and everytime the board dropped down, the confounded rig wafted up into the air with me frantically balancing it on my feet to lower it back over the board. (A bit of a pain, and considerable bad language, for over 3 hours and 10 bloody miles. And the breeze DIDN'T return!!!)

Sorry I can't post a photo. I've no idea how these computer thingies do such things, and my little grey cells can't cope with all this modern technology. -But give me a paddle, a sail, or a bike, and I'll show 'em!! Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.T., while you've got some years on me, I'm still an old fart that is a bit challenged doing many things with a computer. What I normally do when transmitting photos is use E-Mail. I have a Mac Powerbook with the standard iPhoto application, and iPhoto has an E-Mail selection as part of the basic program. I find that it's very intuitive and easy to do.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too long a thread? Ever try reading a book?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks S.C. It boils down to antagonism towards electronic gadgetry and jiggery pokery, which our generation didn't grow up with. I don't really want to get any further into computers, if you see what I mean. The big outdoors and an ability to react with it is the real 'cathedral'.

Out on bike today, over the moors, and had one of those magical moments at sunset, on stopping to just soak up the atmosphere. Silent, deserted, wide open expanse of moor with a dark red sky, and a thin cold chill blowing in one ear, and out the other. The beauty of it was saddening in that you just can't hold it, or keep it with you, but such moments do more for the human spirit than any electronic rubbish could ever do.

I feel sorry for many kids today who are slaves to computer make believe when they should be out climbing trees, building makeshift rafts, and generally getting into scrapes exploring and DOING things.

Sorry to get carried away, but it's something I feel strongly about.

Last edited by GURGLETROUSERS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries G.T., I'm with you all the way. Experience the moment, especially outside where the most interesting things happen. You've definitely got the spirit!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, I definitely hate computers, particularly the byzantine design of accessing the controls, and yes, it's sickening what's becoming of young people these days. Riding my old mt bike a lot these days, looking to get a full suspension 29er soon! Also gonna get my road bike sent back from Wisconsin, didn't think I would be able to ride a road bike here on Kauai but turns out there are some good spots to ride after all. it's a 1976 Raleigh competition G.S.
I'm thinking of getting a 10M sail for my windsup and venturing out past the entrance to Hanalei bay, there's wind out there, I was out there on a downwind SUP run and I can see it from the bluff.
The only people who venture out are some beach cats and sailboats in the summer. If I have a breakdown or the wind dies I'm a long way from land and the current and or wind will carry me not really in the direction I want to go.
What do you think about a 3 piece SUP paddle? with the rig broken down and piled on the board am I better off standing and paddling or sitting with a kayak paddle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: