myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Kauai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a break down kiting at Tunnels two years ago. IIRC, it's side off on the wave face, but only because it wraps so hard. The wind is actually still side on to the shore line. I managed to limp in to the bottom end of tunnels beach, it wasnt that bad. However, if I had broken down on the outside jibe, it could have been ugly.

Even with true side shore, if you miss tunnels beach, then miss He'e beach, youre in the Napali coast, with sheer thousand foot cliffs dropping right into the water for about 20 miles. SO, getting back into shore wouldnt be much help.

You gotta be prepared to ditch your shit and swim for your life if it comes to that.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that Kauai is probably a much better kiting than windsurfing destination.
Winds often marginal for windsurfing, shallow water in many spots, no gear rental but much easier to bring kiting gear on the airplane, most wind spots very uncrowded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: