myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear selection help wanted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a center footstrap until you start slashing swell under power on a board that allows back-strap steering. That pretty much narrows the field to smaller, older wave boards ... and is why all my boards are wave boards designed for back-strap heel'n'toe steering.

Fall prices often beat spring prices on last year's gear. Keep your eyes open in Sept., as stores don't like sitting on inventory all winter, many snowboarders need cash for their winter habits, and Northwave's best deals are in the late Fall (and are on NEXT year's sails to keep their loft busy all winter). There are also kiters giving up their WSing gear for peanut hulls at every swap meet (they're good for SOMETHING, anyway). Wink

Mike \m/
RocRobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I just don't like my heels dragging in the water sometimes but I should work on technique not using the center strap to avoid better technique Exclamation
Thanks on the Fall purchase tip - I'll keep that in mind.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at those two models on Naish.
I also agree you don't need the center strap, I mean it's a nice option to have, but for what you're using this for, nah...
I'd save the $55 and put it towards a bigger rig for you and the 160L in light/marginal wind. Or, put it towards a kid's rig (I think your idea there is a good one as well).
Those double straps are not way out on the rail... they're easy. And that's a relatively wide board also making it easy. Also you're 175#... I doubt you have saize 14 feet Smile so, also no problem.
And the most important thing for ease of using straps, is being good and comfortable in the harness. From your description, you sound very good with harness use. If so, much of your weight is supported by your sail, therefore your feet are light. Using those double straps on a free-ride board will be EASY for you.
Just looked at the site again. Only the '07 model is available in 115L which makes a lot of sense for you. The '08 model is practically the same vol as what you already have. Therefore, at your experience and goals... they would be very similar: wind condition's used in, sail sizes used, and uphaul-ability.
With the '08 105L you gain very little, over what you already have.
With the '07 115L you gain a lot, over what you already have.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster wrote:
I am just wanting to be more comfy on the water (am 46yrs old) am competitive but more against myself.

Your opening posts show more concern for comfort than for competitiveness. You might want to consider that when choosing gear.

At 46, you're still a kid ... if you want to be. I was very disappointed when the wind backed off at 8:45 PM on Monday Jun 18, driving me ashore despite 45 minutes of twilight and hours of energy remaining, after only 9-10 hours of hard, totally powered sailing in big swell on a 4.7 and 4.2 and 68 liters that day beginning shortly after 8 AM (most guys were on 3.7s or smaller after 10-11 AM and lawn chairs by 5). I turn 69 next month, and all clinical indications are that cancer will end my sailing before age does. Get your ass out there. Wink

Heel dragging is a major hassle. If you can't open your back straps enough to admit your whole foot and your board tail is extremely narrow or your straps are way out on the rails, it's time to improve your technique and/or get more free space on your rails for those feet. Aren't boards with straps on the rails meant to be sailed with the windward rail raised a bit? (Just asking; I've never sailed one.)

Mike \m/
RocRobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor choice of words, I meant control instead of comfort. I have been out of sailing for quite a few years and am just a bit frustrated. Just found out board I had before was only 110 liters and I was uphauling it no problem (bic hard rock) so I'll have to stick with the F2 Ride 103l and stop whining. I got the 160L for my stepkid so he had something to learn after his lessons so I'd have to give that up or take turns but last weekend it was just too *&%$& after I had to flatten out the 6.3 sail. Just was not fun. I put the rig on the F2 and after 2 reaches the wind died down so I didn't really get a good feel for it.
Shame on me, I just need more time on the water to get back what i lost and move on....
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2007 105L DOES have center strap option.

Last edited by andymc4610 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
RocRobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I am looking at the 115 again... and called them... If I don't spend the money on windsurfing gear.. the wife will waste it on stuff like hairdoos and dresses anyway right?... Im a goner
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, a 103 from year '99 is easy to uphaul, easily as easy as a 2012 board of the same volume. You weigh 175. That board can handle more weight, by at least 15lbs.
What EXACT model board is it?
I can blow doors off EVERY one of the guys here who say your board is too old, and I can use my 1995 F2 Axxis "103" liter model to do it, or my 1996 Kinetic 273. Talking speed, jumps, jibes.
Your problem is YOU, not the board.
1999 Ezzy sails are fine for any board including the 2012's. As are 1997 North sails.
YOU are the only limiting factor, you listen too much to guys who couldn't sail in 1998.
Just go out sailing in +19 mph winds, 5.5 sail sizing.
Don't use gear older than 1988.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, BUY all the gear you want.
But your current gear works just fine for sailing at 26mph, planing out of jibes, jumping 6' high, and learning basic moves like duckjibes, jumpjibes, willyskippers, shoveits, boomarangs, and ducktacks.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact model is F2 Ride (9'1"/277cm)
I'll keep trying until I succeed. Then I'll try some more until consistent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: