myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Collateral Damage on Cape Cod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoinebo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow it all comes back to the Dude.. Always....

See Outcast, what happens when you open the wrong door
A mess not even Walter could clean up

But in the wise words of the Dude himself: "Look, nothing is fucked here, man"
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="isobars"][quote="gobbdogg"]I don't read it all ... this us and them attitude [/quote]
[b]The former explains the latter. If you read it you'd understand the validity of the latter in the realm of this well-named thread.[/b][/quote]

I actually read the first or so pages- skimmed the rest- I know exactly what the issue is thank you, Isobars.. Mind if I reply to condescion with same?
Us and them only perpetuates more of the same- I hit you, you hit me... great approach! We're all in this together like it or not, acknowledge it or not... I keep hoping this forum, (certainly this thread is done) will be a venue for information and discourse without the ego pissing contest..
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ego, no pissing contest, no condescension; just a sincere suggestion: read the thread before condemning it as nothing but kitebashing and just saying "can't we all just get a long one?'. Take, for example, this post:

critter wrote:
I found myself downwind amongst the windsurfers while practicing my kiteboarding water starts and I was getting dangerously close to the swimming area. ... I was under control

in response to which I wrote:
Your post was very respectful and mindful of the problems, but those two comments are diametrically opposed, the former action shouts out the latter words, and therein lies the problem. "I was fully in control right up to the point I decapitated that little kid with my lines or cleaved his skull with my fin" satisfies and fools no one.

Moreover, footprint matters, the threat footprint of a kite and its lines is 1,000 times that of a WSer, and the kite threat footprint extends inland to and past the beach. There is no validity in equating their risk to bystanders, not even counting attitude, because this debate adds four whole new dimensions to the old snowboarder vs skier clash:
1. The footprint comparison.
2. Drowning.
3. The lines' swath in addition to two impact points (rider and kite).
4. Threat exists to anyone within range, not just to fellow participants. Do WSers hot launch among little old ladies sitting in their beach chairs (then run and hide after they lose the court battle over the hospital costs)?

No bashing there; just pointing out some very real differences between the two sports which should separate them when bans are based on public risk. The primary basher is Dinothewhino, whom anyone is free to ignore.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

No bashing there; just pointing out some very real differences between the two sports which should separate them when bans are based on public risk. The primary basher is Dinothewhino, whom anyone is free to ignore.

I agree!
While there are several posters in this thread whom continue to bash each other and destroy this topic, a few of us offer a sincere & legit discussion regarding the differences of safety each sport of Kiting and Windsurfing require.
Rules have now been put in place by the Town of Eastham and the ban is lifted. Anytime this is done it becomes public record and serves as an example elsewhere, whether you agree with it or not.

I respect the efforts of those whom went to the town and requested a hearing and offered proposals.
(BTW the article in CCT read like the town was the one whom actually made the proposals & rules, and kiters were "basically on the same page")

Whether you support kiting, or windsurfing, both or neither, the subject matter affects us all.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz- I agree- my point being that we all need cooperation and respect both on the water and in this forum-
I have sailed in the waves with prone surfers, kiters, kayakers and boogie boarders all at the same time; no issues- a bit of flak from the prone guys, but that's genetic with them, they can't help it..Wink
The original point of this thread was very valid- but immediately devolved into slagging by the kite haters- I'm not a kiter- tried it didn't like it- but I have total respect for those that do it well and courteously- there are always the few with attitude and bad manners- but I have found them to be in the minority- and there are windsurfers that could benefit from a good dope slap too.
Rather than demonizing kiters, seems better and in my experience locally (RI) to deal with the different needs of the sports- yes they need more space and often need help to launch and land- so help them with it- we have a very cooperative scene here- and those that behave badly get a talking to-
Golden rule rules- do I want to be treated this way? This world could use a whole lot more of that and less of those fracking idiots...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg wrote:
Rather than demonizing kiters, seems better and in my experience locally (RI) to deal with the different needs of the sports

Yet when someone tries the latter, you immediately play the ego/pissing/condescension card. This is one of the downsides of paying attention to the "people" who constantly poison the well with nothing BUT "piss" on others.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh??????? Are you a politician by chance????
inlandsea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gobbdogg,

You are rational, have common sense and make valid points.
While I greatly appreciate it, you will find some are not going to respond well to it.
Hope all is well!
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, We've met and done business in the past- guess you're right - some are always spoiling for a tussle..
I sail and SUP for enjoyment- I can encounter all kinds of crap in my day to day and with my work so when I hit the water it is for joy and fun- and I have no room for shitty attitude- from any sport,, we're all there for the joy of it- smile, help each other out and share the waves..
The access issue is unfortunately a local one- if I lived there I'd be going to the meetings- but I sure wouldn't expect anyone on the Cape to come down here and fight for my access- just the way it is- if you want a support base of like minded people and send out a petition to sign, you bet I'll join in. But the sad reality of local acess is exactly that- local- I was not ignoring it- just getting frustrated with the bashing crap.. Good sailing, riding, paddling etc... Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:
Gobbdogg,You are rational, have common sense and make valid points.
While I greatly appreciate it, you will find some are not going to respond well to it.

gobbdogg wrote:
Thanks Phil ... you're right - some are always spoiling for a tussle.... I have no room for shitty attitude

Let's see ... I'm discussing water access directly and calmly. Gobbdogg glances at some of the posts in a 17-page thread and says we're talking only trash. I suggest he read my very relevant and topical post to the contrary. He says my suggestion is strictly about pissing, ego, and condescension. Phil says that's rational, sensible, and valid, and even after an explanation, GD still wants to continue the tussle his shitty attitude started. The problem with that? He's on his own, pushing on a rope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: