myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
preferred wind direction for Candlestick?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watermonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: preferred wind direction for Candlestick? Reply with quote

Seems like a variety of wind directions work at the 'stick...what's workable, what's preferred?
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more west in it the worse it gets. NW and WNW work.

Steve
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: SW is bad Reply with quote

SW is bad.
The wind is even more uneven than usual and the reach is out to sea or towards the other side of the bay, so you are in more trouble if it shuts off.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JSE said, WNW or NW is best.
San Bruno mountain creates a wind shadow when it's WSW, that's why westerly can be iffy especially if there are SW shifts like last w/e.
Straight South winds can also work, but you're reaching almost parallel to shore.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to like WNW over NW. If there's too much north there seems to be a big hole on the inside and the chop doesn't set up as nice.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred wind direction for Candlestick? Reply with quote

Yep, the direction that really does not work too well is north, than you get a wind shadow. Otherwise the wind is "side-shore" from north-west to south-west and you are pretty much fine. NW and WNW is probably best, but in a good WSW or SW you can actually do some great runs all the way to Sierra Point. SW when the wind if relatively strong (like yesterday, june 25h) you can have a blast on the south side doing relatively deep runs toward the outside (but need a floaty board and bigger sail). If the wind is SW but not that strong the trick is to rig bigger (use your 7.3 plus, or get one!) and then you are fine.

South (on-shore) can actually work wonders, you can go forever and actually run into some nice swells.

East ... it would work if it wasn't around 5 knots ...[/list]

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 10 times in total
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion (someone who probably logs 50+ days a year at Candlestick), any south component is very bad news for the spot. It's not just gusty, it becomes very turbulent (ie, your sail gets heavy but the board won't accelerate).
watermonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering because I saw two people on Sun 24th in very W wind planing nicely out there around 4:30...more parallel to shore than I've seen, presumably not getting blown downwind Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody who can just barely jibe get's blow downwind anymore. You learn to beam and close reach first and foremost, staying even with the launch.
And if you DO tend to get blown downwind, being a beginner shortboarder, go somewhere there is a downwind catch.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watermonkey wrote:
I was wondering because I saw two people on Sun 24th in very W wind planing nicely out there around 4:30...more parallel to shore than I've seen, presumably not getting blown downwind Wink

Yep, that was the day I was referring too (I put in 25th by mistake), and I was probably one of the sailors you noticed. I was out with my 95L slalom and a 6.6. and having a blast. I was taking very long runs jibing right in front of the harbor on the other side. The nice thing is that the closer you get to the Point the southern the wind gets, and on a good SW it actually gets stronger. So you get this great run downwind but when you come back you can gain a huge amount toward the launching spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: