myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waquoit Bay input
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Waquoit Bay input Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Cape Cod flat water spot with solid wind for my wife to learn the foot straps. West Dennis on a low tide is really nice, though low tide doesn't always hit when the wind is good. Waquoit Bay looks like it would be very flat and not particularly gusty in a southerly. I've read the location is hard to find, though on google maps it seems straight-forward -> Will's Work Rd, and then branch off to the beach. But I'm sure reality is more complex than the map. Any tips on getting to the right spot? Are there any issues with parking?

SW I read is best, but are S and SE good as well? Any other input, suggestions or cautions for us? Is it particularly weedy?

Thanks for your help!

John
swmckay

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Waquoit Bay input Reply with quote

jschmucker2 wrote:
I'm looking for a Cape Cod flat water spot with solid wind for my wife to learn the foot straps. West Dennis on a low tide is really nice... Waquoit Bay... Will's Work Rd.... But I'm sure reality is more complex than the map. Any tips on getting to the right spot? Are there any issues with parking?

Will's Work Rd is a very poor road, the parking area is microscopic, and it's actually kind of a pain walking windsurfing gear through all the poison ivy to the beach. That access problem makes it more favorable for kiting.

Waquoit is a beautiful spot, but I think WD or Kalmus at low tide are perfectly good for your needs.
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can get to Wills Work Rd, you won't get lost. You can go to the very end of that and see the parking lot where most of the kiters are. Just 100yds before that, there is a turn-off to the beach where most windsurfers end up. The biggest challenge is actually finding the entrance to WWR, but hopefully your GPS can help you out. It's not super tricky, you just need to go slow. The road itself is probably not marked, but your GPS knows.

The road is in bad condition, so you have to go slow and careful, unless you have a truck. Parking is an issue most of the time and often you end up parking on the road itself and carrying the gear a good distance to the beach. The beach itself is small too (only a few feet wide in high tide) and can get somewhat crowded too.

But as far as sailing, this is an excellent spot. It's almost always flat and you can stand in a lot of places. Even if I am super powered on a 4.7 there are areas with super flat water. So for what you want it could be perfect, if you are willing to put up with the driving/parking hassle.

Try it out once and if you don't think it's worth it, you can always keep on going to WD.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Dennis safest bet....
SE is usually rainy....not too weedy yet.

Suggestions?
1.) Don't try and teach a spouse to sail
2.) If you can't help yourself, go a little overpowered to force the footstrap issue....and with the mastbase a little foward. Work on the front foot

swmckay

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Don't try and teach a spouse to sail.

+1
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I think some people are just envious that some guys are lucky to have sailing wives! I taught my wife most of what she knows about windsurfing - including harness, waterstarts and footstraps. No, it wasn't always easy. But now I can convince her that Cabarete is a much better vacation spot than Punta Cana! She would also gladly go along with a trip to Bonaire rather than Vegas. So I am happy!

Actually, quite a few of my friends have windsurfing wives and it makes for a good way to spend the weekend as a group (typically at Waquoit, actually). No, the girls don't sail as much as the guys and may not be as proficient. But we all have a much easier time getting out onto a windy beach than for guys with "regular" wives/GFs.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not saying don't let your wife sail we are saying pay someone else to teach her.
Watch out for that creepy guy if you do go to Wacko Bay!!!! Shocked

swmckay

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:
We are not saying don't let your wife sail we are saying pay someone else to teach her.

That goes double for kids, says someone who learned the hard way.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whatever you do, don't put your future wife on the nose of a Starboard Go, and tandem wavesail 3-5 foot Kanaha in a building swell
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! We'll give it a try when the WD wind and low tide don't match up.

I generally agree with not teaching the wife/GF to sail and, believe me, I've hired plenty of instructors, though not in the Cape Cod area. We've only found one suitable one ... in San Francisco (see Boardsports ads on this site).

If anyone knows a good female instructor around Boston/Cape Cod, please do let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: