myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Air Wavesailing, Gaining Ground in Your Area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can we all get akona?".....

Outcast- too perfect!!!!!!!
critter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is inspiring. I'm in the process of learning kiteboarding and love being a beginner again...I live on Cape Ann but there are few days you can windsurf here and kiting is out of the question at my experience level. They named it Rockport for a reason, so I usually chase the wind on the Cape. I've watched the surfers on Good Harbor beach (Gloucester) longboarding, so I gave it a go last winter. Surfing is fun but I'm conditioned for something with more immediate gratification. It's hard, and though I enjoy a good workout, the notion of paddling my tail off to catch a wave for a few moments can get old. I picked up a Kona 11-10 right around the same time I started kiteboarding, and though it was my intention I never had it out in the waves. Perhaps this is just the ticket for those marginal days on Cape Ann or Nahant...Something NEW to experience again with windsurfing along with kiting too!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice thing about light-wind wavesailing on longboards compared to kiting is that if you fall you can just get back on and uphaul. You don't have to stress about dousing the kite and not being able to relaunch. Wavesailing a longboard also opens the possibility of riding smooth waves in offshore winds without worrying about whether you'll be able to make it back upwind to the shore.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter
I am also learning to kite this year. On the north shore Revere Beach is very good, soft and sandy, and at mid to low tide you can stand up a long way out. If its blowing 12,13 plus mph and not from the north or west there is usually a good crowd there.

Matt
critter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up guys. Matt, I'll need to check out Revere for kiting - good call.

I never thought to take out the Kona in an offshore wind; stuck in the shortboard mindset. Smile Sure, I'll bet it wouldn't be an issue at all. Given I'm looking at waves first and wind second, I really don't need all that much wind for the Kona to work. This really opens up the number surf-sailable days at Good Harbor.
angulo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems sometimes a lot of "over thinking it" gets done on this forum..... Supping is rad, supping with a sail is super rad, busting out your old windsurf piece of crap/ dog board is ultra rad. Pretty much anytime you generate the effort and energy to piece together a set-up that allows you out on the ocean, negotiating wives, kids, bills and everything else that can shut us down before we even hit the shore break than consider yourself UBER-RAD..
tbhowell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding my fanatic AllWave SUP in RI last weekend with a 6.2. Awesome. I caught more waves than paddlers and the kites had too little air to fly. Kites and other people on SUPs commented that it was the rig to have that day .... I am sure we will see more with the summer doldrums.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......i have an old Starboard GO with custom quad fins if anyone is looking for a different sort of lightwind waveriding experience

....it does not really count as a "dogboard" though ....at least in my mind

oh yeah, chalk up another two lightwind wave days on the wrong equipment. .....the real trick is to keep Evans working....seems to bring waves....

btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angulo wrote:
seems sometimes a lot of "over thinking it" gets done on this forum..... Supping is rad, supping with a sail is super rad, busting out your old windsurf piece of crap/ dog board is ultra rad. Pretty much anytime you generate the effort and energy to piece together a set-up that allows you out on the ocean, negotiating wives, kids, bills and everything else that can shut us down before we even hit the shore break than consider yourself UBER-RAD..

+100 Very Happy

Since going "Light Air" this discipline has been a mental saver for me given all mentioned there... wife, kids, bills, work, etc... especially since I have surf only minutes from my driveway, though not the ideal setup for windy standard wavesailing, where in that case, I have to take a half day and drive south of Oregon Inlet!

Right now I am eying a little swell showing on the Jennette's cam and NW (side shore) light wind... perhaps an "extended lunch break" again today?!
Very Happy
critter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What directions other than the obvious NE and E work at Nahant - given longboard (Kona) use. Any waves with offshore wind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: