myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Air Wavesailing, Gaining Ground in Your Area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilanz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluejaytoo wrote:
I live in northwestern Pennsylvania and spend a lot of time at Presque Isle, on Lake Erie. We often get side/side off winds, and there are many days where the wind is light, but the waves are rideable, sometimes waist-high. Last summer I was out on my Fanatic Viper L on a light day with a 7.5 rigged and I was having a blast riding the wave faces with it. What are y'all's thoughts about surfing a big floaty board like the Viper, or my fiancee's Mistral N.Trance? The kids often use them for flat water SUP.

I was using a Exocet Cruiser - L in the waves(205L- 100 cm wide one). For onshore days that little retractable center board made it easy to get out. Plenty of volume to catch the smallest waves with a small sail (4.0-5.0) in light winds and small 2-3' waves. Lots of fun and a great way to learn.

I'd like to try something like a Viper in the surf. Keeping in mind that I just like to catch the wave and ride it. Not much carving or jumping. The little sails were just a small step above a paddle. So nice to move around and uphaul.

My current 6.0 is a nice compromise between weight and maneuverability with a 11'3 SUP (160L) but every time I get on a bigger sail it just makes me want one!
zeppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem John is not so much your opinion, but rather, your decision to attack and disparage other people's opinions. "[H]alf validated observations" . . . c'mon man, do you really think your observations are "fully" validated? I know Florida is a mecca for wave sailing, but really?

Crazyfingers, how about you figure out how to generate us some wind.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of folks close by have not tried so many things that i have in the windsurfing arena. still more in the gorge, maui, and OBX. yes, i've tried lots of variations on the wave sailing theme. yes, my typing language is terse. everyone's time has a value that each appreciates. i don't have time for dancing around egos. one can read my posts or not.

sailing with just enough power to get out is not what i consider getting the most out of a given day. i say this because i've used sail power in the corners while wave riding. to not have the ready juice from the sail when it is far too small it is annoying, and quite often could be detrimental to being able to get out of some pitching, thick lip encounters.

if you wish, i'll just post when io have nothing else going on in my life. that's about close to never.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Newbie in the SUP world and am a total kook at paddling. However, I put a 6.1 on my 11' 2" tabou in light winds and had an absolute blast!

Brings me back to the good old days of learning on the longboard, didn't know the pleasure of planing but was thrilled to be out nonetheless.

Now I get to make the most of a light wind day and get to try at waves. Opens up the world and makes the best of a light wind day. Sure beats seating on the shore with my 104ltr board cursing the lack of wind.

Stay thirsty my friends! Very Happy
DC
crazyfingers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was up to me we would all being tearing down the line right now!
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
sailing with just enough power to get out is not what i consider getting the most out of a given day

I dunno, this seems pretty condition dependent, no? There are plenty of Maui sailors who use the smallest sail necessary to get out, confident that the apparent wind generated by being on a good wave will provide plenty of power on the way in. A nicely moving chest high wave will power up a 5.3 for me if I'm on a SUP and the wind is 12-15 side-off. It doesn't take much more wind for my 92l quad to go nicely.

Whatever. Small sails work fine for me in New England.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized today that Rodney King was "The Black Lebowski"

The more i have thought about it, the more overlap i see.

The final chapter was that he was found in the bottom of a pool.

Now i doubt he was practicing for hold-downs, so it was probably a very Dude-like slow submersion.

That's my validated opinion.

Number-nine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this all needs to be sorted out at the AWT in obx in September
a light wind show down is needed here
btbill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterkimball wrote:

For sure, if during event window, its light air wave friendly, it will happen!

Though before then we may host an informal light air contest in July. Still hashing details.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterkimball wrote:

Yeah!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: