myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Check before gype!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cruzanboard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLEAR YOUR TURNS.

That is taught to Student Pilots and engrained into their heads.
VFR, visual flight rules. See and avoid. Why not the same for WS & KS?

Let’s give everyone a wide berth, there is plenty of water out there.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are trying to fix blame, even if its both at fault

something on tv went like

you can be right

but dead right

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, stay away from a sailors blind spot. Since YOU also sail, you know where it is.
Then look back and downwind before you jibe.
Both guys are responsible for the safety in the water.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing that I see happen a lot is someone passing very close downwind of someone who's waterstarting. one wrong move by the waterstarter and he/she could have to let go of the sail and the windsurfer passing by would have a mast/sail in the head.

I can remember lots of times where it was really windy, I was flying the sail clew first, and someone comes buzzing by downwind of me... one big gust and who knows if I'll be able to hang on.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me dinks Kevin is justifying his spraying of everyone who's in the water...from upwind.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic rules of navigation apply whether you are racing or not. You cannot interfere with a power craft in a channel; they have the right of way. You have the right of way on starboard, not on port. The upwind sailor must give right of way to the downwind sailor if on the same tack. On different tacks, the starboard sailor has the right of way. And all sailors have a responsibility to avoid a collision, even if they have the right of way. Better to ditch than to have to repair a board, sail, or internal organ.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
We do shortboard sailing, and as such, JIBE, not tack.

Don't sail around me, I jibe AND tack. Depending on the mood. It has nothing to do with the shortboard, it has to do with skill. I can tack my 77l board most of the time, and my 86 and larger pretty much 100% Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look upwind and behind before you tack! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
the fastest sailor doesn't ever need check, since no on can sail in his blind spot.
Well, anyone who's dumb enough to sail downwind and up inside your wind shadow should be jibed upon, shouldn't they?
Don't think I've ever had someone sneak up on my on the downwind side and actually get past my wind shadow, and that includes ANYONE!
But it's really the fault of the dowwind guy, since he should know better, and you should sail faster.
We do shortboard sailing, and as such, JIBE, not tack.
Why would anyone sneak up on someone from downwind? And sail there too? Just looking for an accident, since you KNOW it's the blind spot of the upwind ahead sailor.
In this case, BOTH guys are EQUALLY at fault. The upwind guy, for failing to clear his jibe path. The downwind guy, for being so unawares that he's sailing into someone's sight shadow.

I assume most of that is tongue in cheek, Lee. There are several ways others can get, often unnoticed, into our jibe path, and once there they rule … in court.
• Just after you pass me downwind of me, I bear off for whatever reason … catching a swell, jibing, plain stupidity, Iwanna.
• I pinch upwind beneath you for whatever reason, or I tack, or I’m an idiot like the Dangler.
• I’m going ashore, so even though you blow my windward door off, I ain’t budging from my mission.
• You pass me to windward and immediately enter your jibe, so I pinch up to give you room for your wide jibe … putting us head-on when you instead carve a full-speed pivot jibe.
• I do it very deliberately, as you’ll see below*.
• The other 999,999 WSers on the planet can’t always be certain they’re the fastest guy at that venue. About 900,000 of them don’t even care, preferring instead to smell the roses on the way.

The worst collision I’ve ever heard of in the Gorge was a jiber who rammed a fallen tacker, crushing her skull. They saved her life three separate times.

Some idiots think swell and waves are just another race course, and love pressing you from your blind spot. What hasn’t occurred to some of them are that your B&J board is capable of obliterating their featherweight race board and sailing away unscathed and if you don’t know they’re there, you can’t dodge them. Been there, done that.

* I’m on my wave or B&J board entering a hero jibe in the flat water at the Event Site. You deliberately blast across my bow on your race board, cutting my jibe off, and enter your wide water-ski jibe right in front of the crowd on shore. I S-carve past you on my more maneuverable board, cut RIGHT in front of you, forcing you to explode mid-jibe. Laughing my ass off, I complete my jibe and sail away. If you hadn’t bailed, my Gorge-built sinker would have gone in one side of your eggshell and out the other. Either way, you lose. BT, DT.

Many newbies to any site are just too clueless to the existence of any rules, laws, or conventions. In my very first race, I had no clue why the dude next to me kept yelling “STARBOARD” at me. To me it was just like football or motocross; first guy to the finish line, end zone, or fumbled ball wins, and ya wears pads for a good reason.

You’re blasting across the wind at 64.635 mph in face-high swell. There’s no one in your wind shadow, so you go for it. What you hadn’t thought of as you rip one off is that guy at the Hatchery who luffs his sail and sails STRAIGHT downwind at 12.545 mph. As you exit your jibe heading south at 64.635 mph, his left side fills your field of view as he meanders easterly. He wins in court.

chophop wrote:
you do have to think of a slash as the same as a gybe and look behind you before powering into it.

Not feasible for the guys and gals who slash and turn virtually continually when the terrain is good. When I see people doing that, I go way out of my way to give them room to play; I expect others to return the favor. I try to be aware of others’ locations when I do that, but I offer no written guarantees ‘cause my head can’t always keep up with my path. The only time I make a point of looking (for a quarter of a second, literally) is when an extended downwind slash takes me over several rows of swell. No one should have any rational expectation of IYRA ROW rules applying in surf or swell.

kevinkan wrote:
another thing that I see happen a lot is someone passing very close downwind of someone who's waterstarting. one wrong move by the waterstarter and he/she could have to let go of the sail and the windsurfer passing by would have a mast/sail in the head.

Nah. You aim it at his crotch. Gives you more room for error.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
The basic rules of navigation apply whether you are racing or not. You cannot interfere with a power craft in a channel; they have the right of way. You have the right of way on starboard, not on port. The upwind sailor must give right of way to the downwind sailor if on the same tack. On different tacks, the starboard sailor has the right of way. And all sailors have a responsibility to avoid a collision, even if they have the right of way. Better to ditch than to have to repair a board, sail, or internal organ.

It amazes me how many people think these are "racing rules". When in fact they are not. They are LEGAL rules of the Inland Waters. If you doubt me, jump on your websearch and look up " Inland Navigation Rules Act of 1980". Which govern all lakes and waters except the Great Lakes.

You can talk and talk all you want about how you don't think they apply to you, but plain and simple, they do. If an accident ends up in criminal or civil court, you can bet your attorney fees he/she will be arguing them....

But the simple reality is that we ALL need to look out for each other. Until we can all read each other's minds, the only thing that keeps us from hitting each other is courtesy, ROW rules, and being constantly aware of who is around you.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: