myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River camping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you find a place to sleep early, instead of waiting 'til you actually need it.

Mike \m/
krusbros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really want to do is find a nice quiet street three blocks out of town. Spend your fifteen bucks at a local watering hole and then pass out in your car. Wake up and go get coffee in the morning and then hit the river. Its that simple! You don't have to drive anywhere. I don't know why everyone makes such a production out of sleeping. Enjoy the nightlife that Hood has to offer and you will sleep just fine. There's even public bathrooms downtown! Beats taking a shit in the woods.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip for mchaco: it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle in Hood River, even on private property. Don't count on an undisturbed night.
krusbros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...have never had any problems. But that's where the drinking comes in. Its also illegal to drink and drive! Just make sure you're not sloppy on the water.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could, but Im a delicate sleeper Laughing I cant sleep in a car at all even if im hammered ill just wake up in a couple hours. I might have to revisit the minivan with a hidden sleeping shelf idea...
motherofjehu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't camp in Post Canyon! It is already getting overcrowded to the point of ridiculousness with mountain bikers, hikers, people walking their dogs, and motorcycles and SUVs. It's not the same place as it was 10 years ago when it was basically wilderness and only a few locals. Now there is logging going on as well due to all the downed trees. There are no restrooms and tons of traffic from people shuttling to the top for downhill rides. There is also an unwritten rule that any vehicles left there overnight are fair game for salvaging auto parts!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I wish I could, but Im a delicate sleeper Laughing I cant sleep in a car at all even if im hammered ill just wake up in a couple hours. I might have to revisit the minivan with a hidden sleeping shelf idea...

That's what alcohol does to one's sleep: big crash followed by rude awakening in a few hours. It really cuts into both the duration and physiological quality of sleep, and inadequate sleep is believed to be the primary case of thousands of deaths attributed to drunk driving when they find some alcohol in the driver's system.

Delicate sleepers have a problem. I use ear plugs, a white noise machine, a custom mattress, a fan, a Tylenol, and sometimes a Benadryl in a desperate attempt to get some sleep in my motor home, and if I'm lucky I'll get half the sleep I need. Any sound I can hear wakes me up. (So pardon me, noisemakers, when I get in yer face about your nighttime racket.) But why a "hidden sleeping shelf"? Put a serious bed in a van and get some serious sleep if you can. I drove my MH rather than my SUV just for one day of wind yesterday simply because I had to have some sleep, and my SUV has no bed. Exxon Valdeez and the Challenger Space Shuttle Disaster were both officially attributed to sleep deprivation, as are tens of thousands of deaths from many other apparent causes.
sailon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Memaloose Reply with quote

Memaloose overflow is $10/night. Sometimes it's a waiting game till the park fills up. Not so much a problem on the weekends or July. Restrooms a short walk away. Fwy noise like most campgrounds - kinda like white noise. I never hear it - too tired. If the guy who took my boom reads this, please be a good sam and turn it in. A milllion thanks.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
[ But why a "hidden sleeping shelf"? Put a serious bed in a van and get some serious sleep if you can. I drove my MH rather than my SUV just for one day of wind yesterday simply because I had to have some sleep, and my SUV has no bed. Exxon Valdeez and the Challenger Space Shuttle Disaster were both officially attributed to sleep deprivation, as are tens of thousands of deaths from many other apparent causes.

Hidden so that I can go "shopping" at walmart/etc for 8 hours, but it would still be a real bed.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you may be talking! Back when my RV was a white Ford van with zero external signs of its contents, I could park almost anywhere near the waterfront ... especially in a row of other white Ford vans near any business that used white Ford vans. I lay in my van one cold spring night dozing off to sleep beside a heated bathroom -- and another white Ford van that belonged there -- as a Hood River Best Western Hotel manager type talked with a security guy not 5 feet from me about watching for anyone sleeping in the hotel parking lot. That was in early May of 1992, and it's gotten much tighter since then. My Winnebago is a dead giveaway; stealth is the way to go. Just leave the windows cracked so they don't fog up. If Mountain Man or the cops can't find us, they can't harass us. I'm hoping the decline in crowds has eased the pressure.

Just don't try it in a parking lot at the coast. The one time I tried that because I could not see the center stripe on the road due to what they call "fog" (I'd call it milk, plain and simple), two angry cops spread far apart so one of them could drop me before I could shoot both of them, put their hands on their Glocks, flexed their knees, and ordered me out of the van and out of the parking lot. They didn't give a damn that it wasn't safe to push a rubber shopping cart with fog lights in that $#!+; all they cared about was making damned sure that no international mass murderer -- or even more dangerous vagrant windsurfer -- was By God going to sleep anywhere but in a hotel or campground. Campground, hell; I couldn't have found the Las Vegas strip from Las Vegas Boulevard in that crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: