myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River camping
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Hood River camping Reply with quote

Im looking for some places to camp near hood river (regretting not getting a minivan right about now) . Free is ideal, but a small fee is ok, but for $15 in gas I can just drive home and back so the $19 state parks are out, but on the other hand camping on some deserted trail and meeting some "mountain folk" doesnt sound great either...Is there anything in between?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pocketbook out that lists about 70 campsites in Oregon/Washington, starting from "3bucks" on up.
I hate the sound of trains, so Viento and the old Maryhill are out.
But seems there's plenty about 7 miles N and S, but your 15 dollar gas limit means you're anal and really cheap. Everyone spends that much on gas just to sail daily.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
There's a pocketbook out that lists about 70 campsites in Oregon/Washington, starting from "3bucks" on up.
I hate the sound of trains, so Viento and the old Maryhill are out.
But seems there's plenty about 7 miles N and S, but your 15 dollar gas limit means you're anal and really cheap. Everyone spends that much on gas just to sail daily.

Im not so much cheap as poor... the $15 dollar limit is because id rather spend the 15 and sleep in my own bed than spend more to sleep in a tent. The forest service campground are cheaper but theyre listed on the site by name and I cant find a map with them.

Im willing to drive a bit to camp somewhere free or with a nominal fee.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drive up towards Mt. Hood past Parkdale and just pull off the road along the East fork of the Hood River. Plenty of places on the right side. Just slow down and keep a lookout for small roads into the woods. I wouldn't leave a tent or anything behind, but some spots have tables or makeshift tables from fallen trees.

The same is true with Mt. Adams. We've camped up there a bunch, but don't go up too high or the mosquitos around the lakes are killer.

Another option that's a little dicier is to pull to the back of an orchard late at night. Don't take any fruit and leave early!
willysurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find tons of free "dispersed" (land mgmt term for sites not in a developed campground) up on the Mt Hood NF, especially on Rd 44, but that's a ways up the hill from HR. I have seen people camping up on the spur roads in Post Canyon (140 or 150?) but don't know the legality or bust factor in there. Tucker Park just south of HR is a nice spot and usually full of wind enthusiasts but I don't know how much sites run these days.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there a Park Rutsen (sp?) a few miles north of parkdale on the left side (river) it free cause no one goes there or at least 20 years ago it was. We used to camp on logging roads on the way up to lost lake. Too bad the Wind Ranch is gone $5 although with inflation maybe its $10-15? Sorry all you gravel pit lovers, not my cup of tea. Tuker is the best if you ask me, no trains, just the soothing sound of the river and distant gun range.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the sound of trains or guns, since you're not there in the daytime.
Now if the shootings start at 3 AM or the train goes by then, it's a problem.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Nothing wrong with the sound of trains or guns, since you're not there in the daytime.
Now if the shootings start at 3 AM or the train goes by then, it's a problem.

have you been to the gorge? the trains run 24/7 both sides of the river.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Canyon Road has been a very popular and approved sleeping spot for decades. There are countless square miles of public forest land on the WA side, on which we can sleep undisturbed. The times I've tried to sleep in OR forests up towards Mount Hood reminded me of wild camping in the Florida Keys: more mosquitoes than pine needles or grains of sand.

I don't care for campgrounds and have better use for the price of a Sprinter van, so I've slept free in the Gorge (and several other western states) for at least 1,500 nights. I just pull off the highway onto a side road, then off the side road onto a dirt road, then if necessary for privacy and safety take a right or left into the brush. Neither Mountain Man nor the theme song from "Deliverance" has found me yet, and I absolutely LOVE sleeping just like I love to sail and drive: on my own, with no one enforcing any rules. Stop the van, throw open the windows, and go to sleep in the wind looking at the stars. In well over a thousand nights like that in the Gorge, I've had to wake up and close the doors because of rain maybe 10 times. God, but I've loved that.

Pay attention to WSers whose vehicles seem to be self-contained but not motor homes. Ask them where to find wild camping in the Gorge; even despite many closures due to abuse (trash, noise, drugs, etc.), there are many popular places left. SEARCH the topic here, probably using camping as a key word; it's been discussed before. The incredible Corridor spot I used for almost 20 years has since eroded to the point it's no longer accessible, but I'm sure there are many left.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of good suggestions, ill bring my stuff this weekend and see if I find anything that looks good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: