myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coast rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Mast Break Point Reply with quote

So CHOPHOP, where was the mast breakage point?
prevett

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosescrew wrote:
well..... next time you break down and are drifting out to sea we will not send the Coast Guard because GOD forbid it cost us too much but its ok to lose a life. Duh???? Glad the dude is home safe.

The key point is that this rescue situation was completely preventable, and should serve as a learning experience. For rough coastal conditions, he was sailing very far from shore, much farther that any of the other experienced sailors at this site. He unnecessarily put himself at risk, and ended up in a worst case scenario. On the bright side, he was back in the saddle yesterday, seems to be no worse for the wear, and will be much more careful about getting too far away the shore at that sailing spot.

"GOD forbid it cost us too much but its ok to lose a life."

Oh please, spare me the drama, loosescrew. I never said that. Chophop is a friend of mine. I have been giving him pointers and advice over the last two years since he started sailing the coast. I am very glad that he had that VHF radio and was able to get himself out of that situation. Had he not, I would have been at the funeral.
chophop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The break was maybe one foot above ferrule. No prior warning or mark, Jybed and bang! OOps... shit Sad
chophop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News Flash! Just got a call from a Lady in Monterrey. She found my boom while jogging on the beach in Monterrey.
I had de rigged and put the boom on top of the board. That means that the board, with boom on top, drifted all of the way to Monterrey!
I think that is 65 miles!

No sign of the board I'm guessing someone grabbed it off the beach.
Smile
higgybaby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously didn't do a lot of paddling if you still had your boom on your board. That's pretty hard to understand considering the water you were bobbing around in.

It doesn't sound like you were trying very hard to save yourself. You should try harder next time.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chophop
Two questions:why did you lose your board? did you ditch it when the coast guard picked you up?
How hard was it to operate your radio? with 30kt winds, freezing water, big swells, a touch of panic....
Thanks
rich1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, some of you guys are harsh!

I doubt there are very many of us on this list who haven't put ourselves in a spot where a broken mast, or ujoint could have put us in pretty much the exact same position.

My personal MO is to never sail farther out than I could swim back with out any gear, but that doesn't mean I don't end up reaching out a bit too far every now and then.

I for one can replay a few close calls where I got separated from my gear far enough from shore that if my herculean effort to barely catch it while the wind was taking it away had failed, it would have resulted in a very long swim. I've also had my U joint separate from the board a few times and still managed to get them re attached, but fate could have easily gone the other way.

The Coast Guard, water patrol, et al are there specifically for such eventualities, there is no shame in calling them in to save your life.

Chophop has nothing to apologize for to anybody.

Plus, he lost somewhere around 2500 bucks worth of stuff that day. That sucks!

Chris
loosescrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key point is that this rescue situation was completely preventable, and should serve as a learning experience.[quote]

Prevett you have it all wrong... some situations are not preventable and yes you shouldn't sail out further than you can swim, however, how many of us take that chance every day we sail out on the ocean. I know for a fact that I am not a strong swimmer but I still go out in logo sets and hope for the best. Sometimes ego gets the best of us.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key point is that this rescue situation was completely preventable, and should serve as a learning experience

Prevett you have it all wrong... some situations are not preventable and yes you shouldn't sail out further than you can swim, however, how many of us take that chance every day we sail out on the ocean. I know for a fact that I am not a strong swimmer but I still go out in logo sets and hope for the best. Sometimes ego gets the best of us.[/quote]
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time I thought windsurfers were a great group of people. Very supportive and not judgemental. It appears that group died off or left this forum. I miss them.

Yep ALL windsurfing problems are preventable........ by not going windsurfing. But that isn't why most of us are here.

Poo happens. To all of us. I hope when it happens to you people are more supportive.

Glad you made it back in one piece and gained some experience.

As a NoLimitz user I am also curious about any information you gain about how your mast failed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: