myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coast rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
churan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps a kite would be in order..... much safer.. no mast to break. Float u to Maui.
pthorner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the USCG antenna arrays are on towers and terrain that puts them a few hundred feet above sea level. This more than makes up for the lack of antenna height in cases relatively close to shore, but there are some areas where being too close to bluffs or cliffs on the coast would block line of sight to the towers. In this case, you might have to try and talk to a boat in the area and get them to relay to USCG. As noted, once an air asset is up, the range is vastly improved because USCG air assets monitor 16 and can also use direction finding equipment to home in.
chophop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys here is the story. I am the rescuee and first I want to thank the Coast Guard and those on shore who tried to help me and were concerned.

It was blowing about 30. I was rigged on a 4.2 and
a good no limitz skinny 370. It was visually perfect and I wash it off regularly with fresh water,

I headed out on a long up wind reach, maybe 2 minutes planing, to get to the upper break, jybed grabbed the boom and the mast broke. It broke at my farthest point out to sea the worst place it could happen.

The mast was in good shape, and while 5 years old, it being a 370 is not used often. It did not break at the ferrule which was fully inserted and taped.

Noting that my drift pattern was actually not taking me in but off shore due to the currents I radioed for help. The coast guard guys confirmed that I was drifting out, not in, when they got to me. That is why I was so far out when you guys saw the Hilocopter.

Incidentally the water was cold that day, probably about 50 degrees. Wind 30, seas of 12 feet, per USCG. If I could have paddled in, it would have taken hours and been exhausting and God knows what landing site I would have reached and if I would have been hurt or killed landing. I do not think my radio would have worked near the cliffs and it would probably be dark by then.

Yes, I reached out too far that was my mistake and I won't do that again. Don't sail out to far in the Ocean, learn form my close call. But equipment failures happen, even with good gear and when the worst case occurs -a breakdown on the far outside reach, howling winds, big running windswell and damn cold water, you are drifting out, and you are "lucky" enough to have a Coast Guard radio, you use it.
We do enjoy an inherently dangerous sport and when shit happens we have to make judgment calls on what to do.We weigh our chances of death or injury against burden to the Coast Guard and possible negative publicity for our sport. I did take the cautious route and asked for help quickly the Coasties told me that was the right decision, and I agree.

One final thought, the Coast Guard guys told me that the radio saved my life. I was drifting out and It was really hard for them to spot me in the running chop and the low sun angle. The coast gurrd guys were great and said I did the right thing by calling for help when I did. I strongly urge everyone to carry a waterproof marine radio. Breakdowns and injuries do happen and usually at the worst time. Again, I want to thank the Coasties the firemen and those fellow sailors who all helped or tried to.

If anyone hears of an Orange Goya 78 washing up in Santa Cruz please PM me. Embarassed
brunagi8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and again, glad you're okay!

While my breakdown way outside at Waddell was an easier, self-rescue, it did take me over two hours to paddle in after ditching my rig (sorry Pacific Ocean!) and another hour to hike back to the parking lot.

The insult-to-injury for me came when I finally got back, and the new girlfriend was on the last half of the last bottle of the fresh, ice-cold, Red Tail Pale Ale six-pack that she had so kindly shared with random strangers in the parking lot!

First thing she said after not seeing me for 4 hours? "Did you have a good time?"

Yeah, never made it past the "new girlfriend" stage!
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Mast Brakage at what point? Reply with quote

Hi Chophop,

Thanks for reporting. It is good to get the complete story. Also I think it is very important for windsurfing folk to know that the currents can do things not intuitively reasonable. It is reasonable to assume the surface current is following the wind pattern and wave pattern. But sometimes that is not the case. And current is generally invisible in deep water. You do not get any trace of suds trails that rips near shore sometimes give.

Where did your mast break? I broke one last year off of Natural Bridges while just sailing along, not even jibing. It broke about a third of the way up from the ferrule on the upper section. Just "SNAP" and then in the water for me.

Interested if yours broke similarly.

Glad you had a radio and glad your good.

What is it like being lifted into the helicopter via basket and winch. Just wanting to know vicariously and not have to find out personnaly;)

Windward1
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer that happenned to you.
I've broken over 15 masts, most at Crissy. I can sail home with a broken bottom, a broken top (4' from the tip), but toss the mast if it breaks near the ferrule or 2' above. Either of the first sentence cases, just rerigg your sail.
I think I've paddle in over 5 times from the Marin side of Crissy.
Helps that I've surfed for over 22 years, and don't mind paddling to end my day.
cbknap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chophop--thanks for sharing your tale. What kind of radio is it?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the moral of the story s don't sail the coast if you don't have the paddle in you for at least a couple of hours plus.

zirtaeb called it, 22 years surfing and can paddle all day.

Glad the gentleman is ok and safe. Don't expect a rescue in most places a la Crissy field, it won't happen.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the comment about the coast guard and tax dollars is a joke. The coast guard loves to get called in to these types of rescues, they are trained to do such rescues and your tax dollars well..... next time you break down and are drifting out to sea we will not send the Coast Guard because GOD forbid it cost us too much but its ok to lose a life. Duh???? Glad the dude is home safe.
chophop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks to those who gave support.

The radio is in I COM M 72 --$199 at
West Marine. I keep it in a fanny pack, but not in a waterproof bag. Those bags leak and then you get corrosion. I try to wash it off and spray the battery contacts with electronic contact cleaner regularly. Don't leave shore without it. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: