myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Shrink Two...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bthiel wrote:

Seems the inside beach jibe is always better on a south wind and I often wonder why that is. I am a right hander. Going from starboard tack to the leeward tack is smoother than the opposite direction. Why is that?

I think everyone has or had issues like this. Factors include: the outside is choppier; we have better frames of reference on the inside; people are watching on the inside; and the inside is shallower, so crashing is less of a big deal, which helps both relaxation & concentration.

What's broken me from favoring one side is sailing from different launches and on different directions (in your case, if I understand, you need, more right-to-left setups). The ideal situation is being able to sail from the other side of where you normally launch, that way all your old inside turns are now outside turns, and you'll still have some of the same frames of reference.

But I still believe the most important thing is to give 'er absolute hell in the outside chop. I find that the fat boards need to be carved really hard through the dead-downwind spot, otherwise they start bouncing on chop and lose tons of speed. Find the biggest chop you can, then throw your board into it with reckless abandon. Your knees and legs will miraculously start doinging what they need to.

Most of us come from sailing disciplines, and I've often thought that those with a background in carving sports--surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.--have an easier time with the 90-degree carve portion of the turn. We're hardwired to sail our way through turns, while they already have a good sense of the carving sensation.

I try to counteract that by imagining carving the board through a banked turn like on a bobsled course. Or, to be more abstract, that the entire surface of the water is turned up on its side to leeward (like a ski hill), so that you're turning down the mountain and reastablishing an edge in the new direction.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, straight lines in fins promote straight wakes, curves in fins promote curved wakes. My jibing flat took off when I put aside pointers and began sailing fins (and boards) with lots of curves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: