myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for advice on new sail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForgetMeKnot

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice on new sail Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm a beginner that mostly surfs in somewhat choppy/calm water (it's a harbor on the ocean) and very occasionally out in the waves at the beach. I have a big ole starboard board, 220L (thing is a freakin boat, haha). I love it though. Anyway, I'm almost to the point where I can waterstart (almost), but I can comfortably tack/beach start/go straight/kinda jibe. My only sail is a 5.7 NeilPryde and I'm looking to get a new one because I get way too overpowered sometimes. The winds around here are usually 5-10 knots, and whenever a storm comes through, like today, they get up to like 20 or so. Today I went out and was just incredibly overpowered all day. I'm lucky that going flying over my board makes me kinda laugh because otherwise I'd be frustrated!

Anyway, I'm looking for my 2nd sail. i'm hoping for the $300-400 range but if it's a good reason to go up to 500 then maybe I can. So I think I would like a smaller sail, what do you guys think? For my big board and for winds in like 20 knot range or so. Maybe a 4.2? Or maybe a 4.7?

Thanks. I think what my favorite part of windsurfing is just going out for an adventure and cruising around an island or something like that.

Also, if you compare a small board or a bigger board that is more floaty, which would need a bigger sail? The bigger one because it has more mass...? I'm not sure about that!

Another question, what's the deal with sails that are like 8.0 and stuff? Is that just for days when the winds are hardly blowing?

And one day, I'll get a smaller board for sure, but just can't really afford it now.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgetmeknot,

You don't say how much you weigh. It would be good to know.

You are looking at this second step differently than most. Typically, after learning the basics on a small sail (5.0) in light winds, we generally look to a larger sail for more power in the lighter winds, hopefully to plane. Your 5.7 sail for an intermediate should be good in winds roughly between 15-25 knots depending on your weight and board. You could go to a smaller sail for stronger winds, but I think you would be better off working on planning and gybing with a larger sail. A second board may be another option sometime soon, maybe around 130-150 liters based on your weight. This is where you will begin to appreciate planing and windsurfing.

On the other hand if you are typically stuck in light winds (under 10 knots), then a long board with a dagger board for cruising and gliding may be a good option.

Without knowing your weight, I would suggest a second sail around 7.5 as your next purchase.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv the name

so you want to sail a 220 liter board in 23MPH

and want a smaller sail than 5.7m

hopefully you are closer to 200lb than 150lbs

firstly I would say you are in need of a smaller board.

Sticking with the original question, a USED 5.0 or smaller & your 4.7 would be IMO the smallest in anyone's opinion on the 220L.

You would probably need a shorter mast for this potential purchase as well, so be kind to yourself and get a mast and sail that match up in the mast bend curve category.

on the sail itself, a HotSails Superfreak with its very forgiving nature when overpowered would be a consideration, very light weight, and durable.

buy sell classified section

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with U2U2U2 about getting an appropriate smaller mast to match with a smaller sail. Another thing to keep in mind is whether your boom will adjust to the smaller sail you're considering. If I was to recommend a smaller sail size, it would be a 5.0, as it would match up very well with your 5.7. And, if you were to consider a larger sail later, I would recommend a 7.0. With a 5.0, 5.7 and 7.0 you would have a very balanced sail quiver that would ultimately cover a broad range of conditions in conjunction with the larger board you current have. Also, it would continue to match very well with with a much lower volume board in the future.

Lastly, the one thing that you don't want to forget when going with a smaller sail in windier conditions is a smaller fin. A smaller fin goes a long way in helping to tame a large board in choppier water conditions, and it will allow you to go faster with greater comfort.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he may be getting at is that he simply wants to be out there, safely cruising on a high volume boardin stronger winds, (around islands, spot on, love it!), without feeling overpowered or necessarily planing.

It is perfectly feasible to use a very small sail on a very high volume board in higher winds to keep the speed down and retain control, even in quite rough seas, BUT, it really needs to be a longer narrower 'proper' longboard with a dagger board, for getting safely upwind under reduced power.

We did such thgings as a matter of course in the 80's for cruising. (Those islands again!) I had what was called a storm sail, which was a bout 3.9 metres for wild occasions, and even THAT could get those old longboards shifting in a good blow. As for fins, we just used what the boards came with, and got on with it. It won't matter if you are not going too fast with a tiny sail.

You could do a lot worse than try a modern 'proper' longboard (such as Kona 1) for fun cruising, and eventually buy a bigger sail for lighter wind days. It would plane easily if powered up, or just pleasantly cruise (including going upwind with daggerboard down) if you just want to be 'out there' doing it, and appreciating the wonders of the sea.

Good luck!
ForgetMeKnot

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am about 185 lbs, 5'11", and I know I need a smaller board Very Happy My longboard has a centerboard which I usually use unless I'm trying to plane. Thanks for the advice, I read all of it and will re-read all of it to really think about what I want to spend my money on!

I'm either going to get a 5.0 or something like 7/7.5 or something. Can't decide which. I suppose I mostly experience days with like 5-10 knot winds, so I might actually change what my original post was about and go for a bigger sail, haha. I really like just taking a "relaxing" windsurfing sail around the harbor and maybe circumnavigating and island and stuff. Very fun in my opinion and always lucky to see the wildlife in the ocean. Planing is super fun, but I usually am in subplaning conditions, so I just enjoy cruising.

Don't get me wrong though. One day I want to learn how to shred it up with a tiny board Very Happy

And oh yea, this is my board. http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=33
it's pretty hefty, haha. But I like it a lot (other than carrying it to the beach!)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good modern allround board ForgetMeKnot, no doubt about it. Can understand why you like it so much.

Agree with your reasoning that a good 7.5 sail for the predominantly lighter winds would be a great option. Skill levels quickly rise with the right performance gear.

It seems to me that people who come into windsurfing with a clear vision of what they expect to get out of it, are the ones who stay. Of course, everyone eventually wants to blast short boards, but too often at the expense of loosing sight of how wonderful windsurfing really is, and what it means just to be there, out on the sea, on our magic carpets.

Last week, I dropped the rig on a light wind island crossing on my Kona, and sat dangling my legs in the water while munching a sandwich, and just absorbing the scents and sounds of a compelling seascape, only to end up in a squawking shrieking argument with a bad tempered Eider duck, which objected to my presence! (I saw it off with an extensive repertoire of farmyard animal noises and could barely sail straight for laughing my head off afterwards. Laughing )

No wonder short board only blasters often get bored, and loose interest. They don't know what they're missing. Wink
feuser

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForgetMeKnot wrote:
Hey guys, I am about 185 lbs, 5'11", and I know I need a smaller board Very Happy My longboard has a centerboard which I usually use unless I'm trying to plane. Thanks for the advice, I read all of it and will re-read all of it to really think about what I want to spend my money on!

I'm either going to get a 5.0 or something like 7/7.5 or something. Can't decide which. I suppose I mostly experience days with like 5-10 knot winds, so I might actually change what my original post was about and go for a bigger sail, haha. I really like just taking a "relaxing" windsurfing sail around the harbor and maybe circumnavigating and island and stuff. Very fun in my opinion and always lucky to see the wildlife in the ocean. Planing is super fun, but I usually am in subplaning conditions, so I just enjoy cruising.

Don't get me wrong though. One day I want to learn how to shred it up with a tiny board Very Happy

And oh yea, this is my board. http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=33
it's pretty hefty, haha. But I like it a lot (other than carrying it to the beach!)

The Start is not just a high volume but a wide board. Wide boards need a certain measure of downforce from the sail in order to stay on the water in 20 knot winds. Without a big enough sail area, the Start will only tailwalk (the windsurfing equivalent of doing wheelies). If you want to be sailing with a smaller sail, consider a 4.7 with the longboard (which you already have, I understand).

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: