myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Armored Harness Lines - Middle Eastern Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The weak link in harness lines is usually the plastic tube the line/cable runs through. Lines never break as long as the plastic tube doesn't wear out."

In my experience, the plastic tube never wears out. Instead, it's always the line inside that breaks. Once the line breaks, it's time to come in and replace the harness lines, since the plastic tubing stretches far too much to continue comfortably. Maybe the harness hook design I use (DaKine stainless steel) is rougher on things, but I think that the fact that water gets inside the tubing and over time weakens the line where the hook makes contact. I only use fixed length lines, so the contact point is always in the same spot. The brand of harness lines doesn't seem to make a difference, since I've consistently had the same result using Windsurfing Hawaii, DaKine or Chinook lines over the years.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had lots of lines break too, and I too attribute it to water rotting the line in the enclosed space.

Seems to me like harness lines would be very easy to improve. Here's what I'd do. Four pieces of short 1" webbing, loop in one side, small hook or ring on the other. Put them on the boom, they last forever. Now just attach the lines you want, fixed or adjustable, by either trying them on, or preferably with little SS caribiner-like hooks. On rental stuff, you could take your own lines and just clip 'em on. Or you could have longer sets for big gear. Or you could use one set on all your booms because it would take less than 30 seconds to clip them on. And I think the swing characteristics would be better, as they'd always swing down instead of traditional lines, which point the direction you put them.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again ... preferences rule. I dislike free-swinging lines because the centrifugal force of spinning the rig like a top makes them stick straight out, eager to snag the hook. Only if everything is in juuuuust the right position is hooking in at the exact moment both hands and both feet re-contact the boom and board, respectively, a good thing. Stiff lines, if left loose enough to reposition them often for perfect balance, are often out of place, too. Both have pros and cons, but the free-swingers provide more bad surprises for me.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I guess I have had a couple of lines break while the tube was intact. However, 90% of the lines I replace, it's because the tubes wear through. Some tube material is better than others.

Swinging lines are a royal pain, mostly because if you are trying to hook in while well powered in choppy conditions, the lines are swinging all over the place and are hard to hook. I want them to always be in one place, so hooking in is somewhat automatic.

Remember the days before tubing and the line would blow back along the boom if it was really windy, and you couldn't get the hook and line in the same place at the same time.

Last edited by techno900 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
bates

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/clip-injection-molded-adjustable-windsurfing-harness-lines/?params=Mjl8Mzk3fDk5Nw==

Not an endorsment, but its a new idea on the harness line world.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pile of new Prolimit and Severne quick attach harness lines.

They are standard fixed lines, similar to Dakine but with quick attach loops. The first side loops on (like other brands) then the second attachment is fitted around the boom. The boom end doesn't need to come off. Takes less then 2 minutes to secure them. I have not had any problem with them detaching or coming loose.

I have about 5 sets of fixed lines in each length: 24, 26, 28, and 30.
All brand new.

If you want to try a set email me.
$25 a pair (shipping included.)

josh@windsurfutah.com
801 906-8396
Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: