myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advise on all-around 5.5 sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Advise on all-around 5.5 sail? Reply with quote

Looking for advise on all-around sail in 5.5 range and mast (RDM?) to be used with 106 L JP AllRide. The sail will be used in places with very varialbe conditions, so tunability is important.
Thank you!

Andrei
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windsport.com/_sail_tests
and
http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/2011/5.3-wave-sails-overview.html

For myself, I chose the Goya Eclipse 5.7. The Simmer Icon 5.6 was a very close second.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
http://www.windsport.com/_sail_tests
and
http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/2011/5.3-wave-sails-overview.html

For myself, I chose the Goya Eclipse 5.7. The Simmer Icon 5.6 was a very close second.

Thanks! Most of those are wave sails. Most of my sailing time is on flat water. I guess using wave designs for freeride shouldn't be a problem?
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of it depends on how much you weigh and thus what winds you would use that size sail. Myself, I'm about 225 lbs, so the wind for me would be 21 mph to about 32 mph so I want a tough, easy handling sail, for slashing and fake wave riding in the swells and rollers with a little bump and jump thrown in. Easy handling quality of a wave sail is a big plus.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to offer a recommendation, it would be to make sure the sail and mast are the ideal combination. Given the fact that a 430cm mast is best size for a 5.5 sail, I would also plan on using the same mast for potential larger sails too. I guess what I'm suggesting is planning your quiver around your mast, as it's the core for choosing compatible sail design/brands. Some sail designers develop their sails around more common mast designs (made by companies manufacturing masts for the market, like Powerex, NoLimitz or Fiberspar), while others develop their sails on their proprietary mast designs (like Neil Pryde, North and Maui Sails). Either direction is viable, but the compatibility between the sails and masts is essential. Choose well.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Choose well.

Thank you.
I'm 145 lb.My other sails are 7.5 worldsails blast and 6.5 Ezzy infinity, which are rigged on 460 SDM Fibespar Reflex 4800.
I don't think it would be a good idea to count on a sail to fit this mast.
So, I'll have to by both. 5.5 will basically be the step down from 6.5 and to be used with 106 L board.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used my 5.3 NP Firefly for the first time in Hatteras last week and LOVED it!

Comfortable, handled gusts beautifully and worked great!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ezzy Freeride for '12 is replaced by the Cheetah, in 5.5 it wants a 430 mast, would recommend the Ezzy RDM, only mast they make, and its made by NoLimitz, but to Ezzy specs .
option 2 would be the No Limitz mast , I think the Sumo is slightly stiffer than the original, may be wrong on that, but either would work ok, check the mast bend curve specs on the NO Limitz site.

of course the Wave Panther NOW for '12 called the Tiger is an additional option, its the wave B & J sail, but for your stated application I would go with the above.

I use the Freeride no camed in 7.5 6.5, and Panthers in 6.0 down, 155lbs.

What I have found...a long list : of what is impressive about Ezzy sails

build quality, material and strength, durability, the ability to TUNE without changing sails, VERY wide range, esp the Freeride//Cheetah now: you can email or call David for advise/questions , they have very good resale.
The original year Wave SE , I still use(2001..?) and is similar to the 2009 Panthers in rig/feel and power delivery.

Ezzy sails are normally an evolution and you may fine the 2011 sails yet at an attractive price. You may PM me for further opinion //advise

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kmf

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flat water blasting and tuneabilty the Sailworks Reto 5.5 is pretty hard to beat. It has power and range, Too windy? Downhaul a little and you just go faster. Not enough, bag it out and it's a powerhouse. Hard to beat. My favorite all time flatwater sail. And it has that light effortless feel......

KMF
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The Ezzy Freeride for '12 is replaced by the Cheetah...the Wave Panther NOW for '12 called the Tiger... the Freeride//Cheetah now...Wave SE is similar to the 2009 Panthers...

And thanks for the clarification, Yoosetoose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: