myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills (jet ski rentals)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEIN wrote:
But, think about it, have you guys ever ridden a PWC when it's windy...not fun. They'll last 2 minutes out there in the swells. So hopefully it'll be for non windy days?

The PWC riders on head-high swell at the Hatchery years ago were having a blast. Not all PWC are watercouches.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would jetskis be legally rentable in Nichols boat basin, were someone with access with the land to do it choose to do so?

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done deal, right nearby. See
http://nwkite.com/forums/t-25952.html .

Notice that right there in that thread, which starts with the announcement of the rental business and its restriction to east of the bridge, people are already openly discussing heading west under a whole list of excuses. "The rules don't apply to me" runs rampant. If Hank/Gorge Adventure Rentals LLC thinks a customer's promise not to venture west of the bridge will relieve him of liability when some idiot ... which is almost synonymous with people who rent PWC ... takes out a kiter or WSer, I'd say he's in for a big surprise, especially considering that bars are liable for what their drunk customers do with their own cars on the way home.
trburl

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific Ocean

Last edited by trburl on Mon May 21, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do the PWC riders. I watched some of them tearing up some nice clean surf there years ago. If I lived closer to the coast I'd buy one in a heartbeat just for that.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic cracks me up. Jets skis were rented in Hood River years ago. This isn't something new (and used to run about $60 and hour or so, probably more now). Jet skis, boats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, SUPS (oh yeah and kiters) are all part of the waterway. Get used to and try sharing instead of thinking of it as YOUR water.

As to riding in chop, true most people would prefer smooth water but riding in chop can be fun (yes, I jet skied for a few years before windsurfing) but most people won't like the choppy water. Jet Skis rent for $60 a HALF HOUR in South Padre Island, so renters don't tend to be out riding for very long. Actually in this economy I don't see this business surviving for long in this area, but I could be wrong.

I see this more of an interest for the kiters on non wind days. Grab a tow rope and their board and go out on the flat water and have fun.

You guys really need to learn to share.

Oh yeah, and this has nothing to do with closing off an area and building a specific use structure in the public water. Not even close.
starfish

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: NO I do not want share. Reply with quote

Hey don't people to go wake boarding on my glass. I want the flat water for water sking all to myself...... Laughing now.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: "Things are different here" Reply with quote

I remember back in the 80's when the words "things are different here" were used to describe the lifestyle in the Gorge. For many of us, that's what we found attractive about being here.... that's what brought people here to this special place.

Things are no longer "different" in the Gorge.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wouldn't agree with that. Well actually I can't say anything about the 80's, but as one who just moved here 2 years ago, I can say things are MUCH different here than the places I lived before..... Very Happy
KevinL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. PWC's buzzing around in front of all the people trying to enjoy a quiet meal at Best Western's outdoor restaurant. Not to mention people who pay premium dollars for a river view room putting up with the noise.... My wife and I stay and eat at the hotel regularly. I will be sure to let the hotel know that they will be losing us as customers. Perhaps not the hotels fault, but I am sure it won't take long for their guests like us to respond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: