myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best low wind windsurfer??JP Superlight!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Best low wind windsurfer??JP Superlight!! Reply with quote

Currently in Florida(west coast) and need help on new board purchase.Sails,9.5Infinity,8.5&7.5 Retro and smaller. Just sold 145 Fanatic Shark and usingBic293OD as light wind board.(mandatory weed fin area).Proficient with harness and footstraps as an intermediate windsurfer.Looking at JP Superlight in the larger size(92 wide with inboard strap position). Has anyone tried this board??Have used a Kona and other sup but prefer a windsurfer.Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Mark
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into one of these but the opinion seems to be that yes they can get you up onto a plane at around 12 knots but if the wind is less than that or there are lulls you are slogging very slowly as compared to a longboard, no real glide.
Also a bit expensive and possibly fragile as it's pretty thin.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-boards-race.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs.php

tested the JP SL. it was okay. the starboard ultrasonic 147 cornered way better though. exocet RS 7 jibes just as well as the starboard.

in the largest of wide short boards, watch out though, the similarities to formula are very many. if the wind comes up, one must start sailing them like formula. upwind and downwind only. reaching across the wind will provide some serious hairballs when the wind exceeds merely the lightest of winds with these 3 boards i mentioned.

too bad about the need for weed fins. that takes away quite a bit of these boards' performance.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with John about super-wide short boards, their limits and how those limits challenge sailors.

One of my favorite boards at last year's Windsurfing Mag light-air test was the largest Starboard, the 147 Ultrasonic. That board felt instantly familiar because most of my racing board experience in the last several years had been FW. I found it super-fun because it reminded me of a very light, small FW shape. It jammed upwind better than any of the other boards, in part due the ease of which I could go fast and how the tail powered through lulls. Its light weight made handling and jibing a breeze, but that light weight could make the hull feel "flighty" through spaced chop unless the sailor is familiar with technique required to keep the board's nose down and speed high.

Sail selection makes a huge difference when describing the ease of sailing any board. Race designs need sails that generate a great deal of mast base pressure as part of the overall balance of power. MBP adds stability and stability makes for comfortable speed. So when a board is capable of maintaining high speed over a wide range of apparent wind and water states, it often requires a high-stability sail in order to feel comfortable.

Light air windsurfing on a short board requires large sails and even free sailing techniques naturally lean toward FW methods when the wind comes up. Not all people find these circumstances especially fun. Others may struggle to develop a comfortable range out of large sails because personal tuning of large gear unfortunately remains a black art for most.

Still, I'd recommend the Ultrasonic 147 to anyone sailing smaller chop and willing to embrace large, full-cammed sails. RAF? Not unless the wind is rock steady.

lrrry

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also on the west coast of FL, and get a lot of light sea breeze winds and I'm also looking at the JP Superlite, and appreciate any comments or reports on it. And other boards that work well for planning in very light conditions.

Currently, I'm using a Bic Formula 160 and a Prodegy for light winds. Both with a 12.5 sail. The Formula does "reasonably" well perhaps in the 8 to 9 kt range, and once on plain, skoots along fairly well. The Prodegy takes just a bit more wind, and doesn't go quite as fast with light winds.

However, the Formula is a pig if it's not on plain, where the Prodegy does ok.

Comments?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any short board is a pig when not planing. JP SL is no exception.

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs380-elite.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs-d2-elite.php

both are very good on and off a plane. the rs-d2 planes as early as anything on the market.

rs 380 slices thru the worst chop that open ocean, open class racing has to offer.

http://www.exocet-original.com/gallery.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, First I want to thank the great advise given to me .Dan, sorry to hear about the problems in MASS.(I"m heading to N.H. for the summer and had planned to sail there) Looked at many options and didn"t want true Formula with my intermediate skills. I Purchased a 2007,starboard ISONIC145,224/88..Sailed yesterday wind 11-14.Instantly on plane!!Never sailed such a wide ,short board..Recently sailed Shark 135&150 and sold my 145 Shark. The Isonic,retro8.5 planed way earlier and the instant accelleration in such low wind was amazing.THE sHARKS AND bIC 293od would sometimes almost plane going downwind but sheeting in only stalled the sail and upwinded the board.Sailed with another sailor with a Starboard formula and he GPS us at 23mph.Next outing plan to move the straps out on the rail and see if there"s more to be had!! I'M hoping that I won't wake up and find this wasn't just a dream!!I Felt like I was sailing my Rocket 115 in steady 18 mph wind. Thanks All Mark
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lrrry-

I think the JP superlight will be basically the same as the Bic Formula. I.e., planing about the same time with the 12.5 (if you use a big fin) but also being a pig when not planing.

The RS D2 looks like it would great if you have a million bucks to spend and you know the special techniques for the daggerboard and mast track. A more traditional big raceboard (like the 380) would also give you really good non-planing performance but wouldn't plane as early as the prodigy or the D2. I had a mistral equipe raceboard for a while but I got frustrated with how much wind it required to plane.

Some people say a good 11.0 will get them planing as early as a 12.5, but I think it depends on your weight and how you pump the sail and stuff.

I'm moving to the FL West Coast this summer so I'm going to have to adjust my own quiver accordingly. I think I'm going to get the Exocet Windsup 11'8" so I can have an early planing longboard that will also be good as a SUP.

-James

dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem here is, what do you want to do?
SUP windsurf is great for a little of both, but needs more wind to plane and perform.
Pure light wind slalom is the earliest planing and jibing, and also is a fine SUP for less than 8mph winds.
Formula is every bit as good in light winds, but jibes like a horse compared to light wind slalom, and is a fine SUP in less than 9mph winds.
Most normal sized riders agree and 11.5 is earlier planing than 12.5's, but non pumping big boyz will disagree.
I assume most of us want to windsurf as often as possible, leaving SUP only for the deadest days.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2cts, If you expect to see alot of 5-12 knt winds a starboard serenity will really make light winds interesting. I almost always use my 6.5 Infinity on mine. For sub planning winds I don't think any other board will beat it. Not really sure you can call a Serenity a board though.....For lite air it's in a class by its self.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: