myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail Making Materials and Dimension Polyant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkiggins

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy!

I have no financial, team, or other interest in Ezzy, I just think there stuff is good.
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ezzy! Some of the best sails I've ever seen, repaired, and owned. Worldwinds is the local dealer for Ezzy and they stock a good supply of Ezzys. Good people, too!
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood, this was 15 years ago. I'm set with sails, but yes ezzy sails are high quality.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Don't hold your breath, Steve. Thombiz admitted several weeks ago to posting things he does not believe to stir the pudding, so this could be just fun and games with him.

Mike \m/
While searching for the best method to clean monofilm, I ran across this thread. Thombiz has slurred me in the past so I did welcome Isobars comment. As to Aerotech, I own an '03 VMG 11 meter sail and am in awe of it's construction. While going through the posts, I got a little nervous about it's quality despite never having any issues. Last Thursday I rigged the sail at the launch. Another guy had a brand new Hotsails Maui sail rigged and lying next to it. For the life of me I could not see a substantial difference in the cut of the sails. In my 50 years of experience working for a buck, I must say that there is no manufacturer that builds the ideal product, nor is there one that isn't made up of humanity and makes mistakes. GM has made some excellent product often while Toyota was getting all the cudos. Anyone with a brain in his head knows that Chevrolet trucks aren't Caddys.
isobars wrote:

Wow! I can see why you're upset. I crash HARD into my sails every day -- hooked-in slams, often helmet-first (maneuvering hooked-in when rigged to plane in the lulls on a sinker risks that) -- and haven't damaged a sail in 20 years to the point I had to repair it. A dimple now and then, not worth fixing. My GoPro mount on my helmet put a 2" hole in the window of a new sail Wednesday for the first actual tear I can remember, but it's cosmetic; when it's convenient I'll put some clear tape over it. I had assumed most modern sails were comparable; if it weren't for my helmet and face guard's corners, I doubt body impacts could damage any sail I've owned since the 1980s. I can understand using ultralight materials in upper panels of a 10 meter sail, but not for ordinary sizes or down low.
I've crashed into my sails and had panels rip. Some I replace, but one, a rather long rip that was clean, I sewed up and taped over. I spent a good deal of time doing this. Often I think of replacing the panel, but this repair of mine has held up. In fact, the sail itself has held up incredibly well. I have to clean it because there's a green algae that has stuck to it and clouded the panels over the past 8 years. This sail, a Loft, has been my most used sail. It rigs up well on a number of masts. What is the best solvent to use to clean it?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot air works well and is easily available to you, apparently. You might othwise try the solvent commonly known as water paired with a bit of elbow grease.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was waiting for a reply so that I could wax profusely on this. I used Coleman's gas, a clear solvent to remove the green crud. Nevertheless, the panels are cloudy and that can't be changed. It's due to the dirty (beach erosion) wind that you find on Waquoit Bay. I had a freak incident when the setting sun reflected into my panels, and I couldn't see through them. Previous to that a beginner kiter blew by my vision, and I wondered where he came from. Just too much traffic last sunday afternoon. It was much better in the evening when the wind picked up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: