myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Government Incompetence
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Government Incompetence Reply with quote

It's hard to believe that anyone would want more government when the existing one is so incompetent.

http://www.wthr.com/video?clipId=7054149&topVideoCatNo=103348&autoStart=true
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:
Make a side by side Pro/Con list with Government on one side and private businesses on the other. Let's see how they stack up.
Con = disaster/atrocity/illegal killing/huge waste of money.
Pro = stuff that has made the planet a better place to live.
My guess is that both Con lists will be appalling, and the Pro lists will be about even. In the end the only conclusion will be:
A. Humans make mistakes.
B. Money & power make humans make collosal mistakes.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're equating fraud and/or tolerance thereof a "mistake"?
Isn't that as misleading as calling this news report topic a "loophole", rather than the theft it is? (I equate loopholes with accidental legal gaps, not deliberately false claims.)

They say they can do nothing. That's total BS, considering the punishment you or I would get for even honest mistakes, let alone false claims. Someone way up there is afraid of the votes they would lose if these people were caught and punished.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's hard to believe that anyone would want more government when the existing one is so incompetent."

See how easy it is for some to condemn our entire federal government when something is seemingly found amiss in just one government department.

You know, I wonder is whether the state of Indiana is accepting the federal tax returns being highlighted in the video as the basis for state tax obligations. While I'm not savvy about Indiana's state income tax system, in California, federal returns are the foundation for computing state income tax obligations. What's the state of Indiana, or any of the other states in the union that have state income tax requirements, doing about this travesty of tax injustice?

Another thing I wonder about is why NBC hasn't taken this problem to the national level. With news so earthshaking and troubling, you think that it would spread like wildfire and readily spill into print news too. Why is this news limited to a local NBC affiliate in the state of Indiana? Is it breaking news that will soon hit the roof? Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find a date associated with the broadcast. Does anyone else find the situation here a bit curious?
jp5

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
...See how easy it is for some to condemn our entire federal government when something is seemingly found amiss in just one government department.

Kind of like saying because of one bad cop we should have no police force at all.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that the bigger government gets, the more difficult it is to manage itself, and here because it's an election year, this "topic is too hot to deal with at this time". What the hell, a few billion more down the drain, who cares.

The story is current and here is part two. The new material picks up around 3:00 so you can skip the first part:
http://www.alipac.us/content/tax-loophole-allows-illegal-immigrants-collect-billions-tax-refunds-without-pay-467/

It's sad to see that there is a resolution, but the congress is unwilling to deal with it at this time. A bill was presented and rejected that would limit child tax credits only to those with SS numbers.

"loop hole" - BS, I agree with ISO, it's fraud. Just wait until the fraud spreads to those with SS numbers as they learn of this new way to rip off the government by claiming a few extra kids on their tax forms. Do you think the IRS will take notice then?

999 (or something similar) looking better?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's not clear to me why the Republicans in the House of Representatives can't get this issue off the ground. Where's their leadership on this issue? What are Boehner and Cantor doing about this, and why aren't they speaking up?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even better question is why is the media avoiding this story?

Apparently no one wants to "ruffle" the Hispanic vote, so the IRS is fine with ignoring the problem.

Maybe when enough outrage circulates around, someone will get off their butt and do something.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media isn't on it because what's going on is arguably legal as our tax rules and regulations now stand. One only has to look at Republican presidential candidate Romney to see how he has legally bent IRS rules to his benefit. It's quite telling that he doesn't have the nerve to release all of his tax records over the last 10 years, and not surprisingly, he's filed an extension on his 2011 taxes. What kind of leader could he be if he can't even get his taxes done on time?

When you think about it, even an angry character like isobars is perfectly fine with the wealthiest people and corporations using tax rules to their interest. The idea of getting all worked up about tax paying Hispanics taking advantage of the possible angles in the system seems to me to be a bit hypocritical.

If the leaders in the Republican in the House of Representatives won't stand up and use their leadership role to change the law, nothing is going to happen to resolve this issue. In my view, the situation stands out as a strong indicator of just how inept the Republicans really are. They like to kick up a lot of dirt and complain about the federal government, but when it come down to really getting important things done, they predictably flake. One only has to look at their lack of accomplishment since they came to power in January 2011 to see them for what they are.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is claiming dependents that don't live in the household (or may not exist) in order to get a larger than deserved tax refund not FRAUD?

If this is only a loophole, then why don't all of us claim a few nieces and nephews extra on our taxes to boost our refund? I guess if there is a loophole, it's that you don't have to prove that your dependents exist and the IRS can't question your claims (I don't know how the law is written, but it's hard to believe that the IRS can't question dependent claims).

Regardless, there are a bunch of illegal aliens lying about dependents in order to get bigger tax refunds at a cost of 4 billion a year.

I don't know, but if it is the responsibility of the House to enact laws to change IRS rules (assuming they actually need to be changed), then I would agree that the Republicans that are ignoring this issue are a bunch of bums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: