myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bizarre Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

Where do I start? I went to integrated schools (Jr. High and High School), where the balance between whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians was pretty much balanced, but the majority were white. Jews were accepted as much as anyone else and many were my friends. Kids played all over the neighborhood, in the streets, fields, yards without worry about "bad guys". My mom had a ships bell on the front porch which she rang when it was time to come home. No thefts, rapes, robberies, etc in my middle class neighborhood.

You are wrong about selling houses to blacks and Jews, at least from my experience. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and went to John H. Francis Polytechnic High school. I am sure that there were issues regarding race and religion, and there were bad guys, but my neighborhood was diverse, and a great place to grow up.

Paint the world black if you wish, but my life in the 50's couldn't have been better.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
life in the 50's couldn't have been better.
Boy you got that right!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I start Techno? You seemed to have missed a lot of history. I will just give you the specifics on racially restrictive covenants, the generally used term. I graduated from South Torrance High School in 1967, and I read the newspaper every day from the time we moved to Torrance in 1962. You couldn't miss the debate--if you were paying attention. Here is a short piece written by Christopher Ramos:

Quote:
Racially restrictive covenants played a major role in contributing to residential segregation. In many instances, white property owners created restrictive deed covenants to exclude people of color from white neighborhoods. During the 1910s and 1920s, state courts upheld and *159 enforced these racially restrictive covenants. State courts applied the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and the Rule Against Restraints on Alienation to determine if a racially restrictive covenant was valid. These state courts often held that preventing a black family from moving into a white neighborhood did not violate the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment or the Rule Against Restraints on Alienation. Simply stated, the enforcement of these racially restrictive covenants forced non-Anglo families to live in communities that were residentially segregated.

Although most state courts agreed that covenants restricting alienation of property were void, some courts upheld covenants that restricted alienation to non-Anglo families. Sadly, some state courts across the country upheld deed provisions that prevented black families from living in white neighborhoods. The following cases illustrate the hypocritical and flawed reasoning state courts used to uphold racially restrictive covenants. Although many of the cases discussed involve African-American litigants, these rulings also applied to Mexican Americans and other non-white families throughout the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

The ability to restrict minority ownership of real estate began to come to an end with the decision in Shelley v. Kraemer in 1948 http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0334_0001_ZS.html but the implementation of that case was still playing out in the Los Angeles area in the mid-1960's when I began paying attention. There were court cases as real estate people refused to show houses in some areas to African American or Mexican-American families. It is perhaps appropriate to remember the actual pattern of discrimination in the 1950's as we celebrate Black History month and the 100th anniversary of the birth of Rosa Parks. I know her niece.

You may have lived an idyllic childhood in the 1950's and may have missed the injustices that were occuring on a daily basis.

I repeat, a joke about guns near schools is in extraordinarily bad taste. You might occasionally give a sign that you are listening.

If you want to continue the debate, or rebuttal of the nonsense article, feel free. I'm game.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that I look at it, techno900 apparently revels in right wing humor designed and promoted to depict current life as oppressive and reflective of inordinate government control. The undercurrent is that liberal or progressive ideas are at the root of things, and their influence is ruining the American Dream. Is this stuff funny? I guess so if you find characters like Rush Limbaugh and those of his ilk intellectually stimulating and entertaining.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler--it is more like the "life in a bubble" right wing nostalgia for a world that never existed. Techno has said essentially the same thing that Isobars did--the world was wonderful when I grew up. It is a little worse for Iso because he grew up in Alabama, and never seemed to have any uneasiness about segregation. But segregation, California style, was still present in southern California in the 1950's and 1960's.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a child in the 50s, I think it's safe to say much about what was really going on was hidden from view, or not seen for what it was. One's youth is a time of naivete and innocence, or at least we would like to think so. Yet, if the truth were told, there was a lot of ugly stuff going on in the 50s. Needless to say though, the same can be said for all the decades before and after the 50s.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I went to integrated schools (Jr. High and High School), where the balance between whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians was pretty much balanced, but the majority were white. Jews were accepted as much as anyone else and many were my friends. Kids played all over the neighborhood, in the streets, fields, yards without worry about "bad guys". ... my life in the 50's couldn't have been better.

A ... FREAKING ... MEN. I finished high school before integration, but I wasn't informed (except by one cave man) that I was supposed to dislike or disrespect any ethnic group until I moved up north. Man, was THAT (upstate NY) an eye-opener. I didn't know until then, at the age of 25, that anyone gave the slightest damn about anyone else's religion or national origin. I had never encountered that where I grew up ... in very deep, very rural Alabama ... in the 1940s, 50s and 60s.

Except on school days, my only obligation as a little kid running all over town barefooted was eating breakfast and supper at home. Those WERE the days.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars wrote

Quote:
Except on school days, my only obligation as a little kid running all over town barefooted was eating breakfast and supper at home. Those WERE the days.

Sounds like me now!!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Life in the fifties featured segregation in the south, many deaths due to the prohibitions on abortion, covenants against selling houses to black and Jewish people in the Los Angeles basin, polio, McCarthy, and rampant abuse of young boys by Catholic priests--covered up by the Vatican. Which of these was your favorite memory?

Mac, the operative word you used was "south". At my home in the 60's I had close Japanese, black, and Jewish friends. The movies of the 50's and 60's were for the most part very progressive toward equality. As for abortion, you seem so worried about gun deaths, but not the slaughtered millions of babies. Sad for you that you don't see the irony.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 21 of 37

Jump to: