myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills (jet ski rentals)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transatlantic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills (jet ski rentals) Reply with quote

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-25952.html

I'm surprised no one has caught this on here yet. Too busy protesting an amusement park, *cough, sorry, a cable park that a jet ski rental has moved right in. Can't wait to have a bunch of frat boys with dads credit card blasting through the hatchery this summer. Nothing against someone trying to run a business I just think that this is a bad idea. If a cable park doesn't fit, this really doesn't fit.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PWC takes arguably more skill to operate than a car, in terms of getting it from Dock A to Dock B in an uncluttered setting, if only because most kids grow up watching Mom or Dad driving. PWC are much less intuitive or familiar, especially since they have no brakes and steer with throttle. If inexperienced clowns are allowed to venture outside the boat basin, the only limits to their carnage will be accidents that make the headlines and the ensuing court cases (against both operators and renters). That PWC rental concession had better hope it has insurance worth 8 figures.

A new and innovative PWC hit the market back when I was into the sport (yes, done right, there's a sport buried in there). They were initially rare, so Albuquerque got only two of them. I never calculated the odds, but both of them went to the bottom of the lake together and one rider died when one of them cut the other one in half barely offshore. The damned things are just too easy to get going 60 mph without any idea how to actually control them.

Oh, well, it gives the sheriff more to do. They gave it a chance but finally shut down the last PWC Hatchery invasion, in the 1990s, when even careful, experienced, conscientious PWC drivers who also WSed began riding Hatch swell. Things that fast and heavy just don't mix safely with exposed bodies on planks or strings.
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was run down by one of those frat boys a few years back, after turning on a wave face as he was barreling right at me. Something about ROW and unpowered craft having that ROW came to mind but he shouted some obsceneties at me and buzzed off. If they come up to the Hatch looking for waves will be trouble, there's enough competition already. I agree, the jetskis can go to The Dalles or anywhere else on the Columbia, why clutter the already cluttered waters around Hood River?
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through the guys post, he's saying that people renting the Jet Ski's will be obliged to stay east of the Bingen-Hood River bridge. The exception he states is if the jet-ski is being used as a rescue/support vehicle for kiteboarding. Guess we'll have to see how it all plays out.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
people renting the Jet Ski's will be obliged to stay east of the Bingen-Hood River bridge.

"Will be obliged"? He's kidding, right? Today's kids (anyone under 50, from my perspective) have zero respect for even state or federal law -- hell, the Constitution -- let alone some Jet Ski rental dood.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, so, so smart to rent jet skis in the gorge.... especially around Bingen - Hood River Bridge where they've got all the logs in the water, not to mention all the rocks and fishing nets everywhere. Heh-heh... this is absolutely a fabulous idea..... duh, I'm sure it will take off and he will make tons and tons of money, why didn't I think of this? Wink

No question, when this dude claims to be "successful", there will be dozens and dozens of other folks doing the exact same thing.... just you watch.
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta have your boaters license??? It'll be a lot more than $70 per when some of those people get done with their rides Very Happy

Sounds like a good deal for new kiters.
tweeky

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
tweeky wrote:
people renting the Jet Ski's will be obliged to stay east of the Bingen-Hood River bridge.

"Will be obliged"? He's kidding, right? Today's kids (anyone under 50, from my perspective) have zero respect for even state or federal law -- hell, the Constitution -- let alone some Jet Ski rental dood.

I'm not endorsing the rental business. I simply mentioned that they will be obliged to stay east of the bridge because no one else mentioned that. From what the guy posted, that will be a condition of the rental. Just posting that information since it was not mentioned in this thread. But well done Mike... time to pick another fight and rant on... aren't you getting any sailing time with all this wind? Have a great day Mike Smile
STEIN

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, think about it, have you guys ever ridden a PWC when it's windy...not fun. They'll last 2 minutes out there in the swells. So hopefully it'll be for non windy days?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
well done Mike... time to pick another fight and rant on...

How is making an observation that has nothing to do with you "picking a fight"?

You guys have quite the imagination, don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: