myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River City Commision meeting Monday. Be heard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
So anyway . . . it looks like maybe you get your news from Chuck Norris' column in RightWing News.

And of course lots of unsupported allegations from Gingrich, Santorum and Romney.
it defies logic to think that Obama would commit political suicide by advocating for higher prices - and I still can't find a smoking gun to that effect.

IMO, your Googling right or left wing websites for an hour or two doesn't quite trump my several years @ 10 hours most calm or winter days rotating among half a dozen news and business and political analysis channels and sources in one ear and/or -- often both -- several newspapers and business magazines and an internet full of government and neutral media and factcheck sites in my face. My smart wife does the same, and we discuss it often.

This is not the forum to elaborate any further.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

says the guy who cannot read a simple color chart...
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He proved me right, again! So predictable!

Oh yea, repeat after me, "gasoline is a worldwide commodity!" Does it ever mention the concept in your reading materials?
TBird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back to the cable park?
I respect the opinions about keeping the waterway open the public. But I also think that there's room for responsible development, and no development is ever going to please everyone. I DO think you can make an argument for "it's better than what is there." Personally, I'm tired of dirty, weedy lots surrounded by rusty garbage serving as the front door to our city. I'd much rather have a brew pub, a walking path and sure, an amenity that draws some recreational users, provided it's done well. I fail to see how that's different than the marina, a bunch of boathouses, a seaplane dock or the sternwheeler dock. They all take up (or took up) parts of the public waterway for their own uses. I have no problem with them, either.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird wrote:
I DO think you can make an argument for "it's better than what is there."

You just did, and, IMO, accurately. Spokane, like San Antonio, turned its festering open wound of a riverbed into an incredible waterfront park, and my towns' local waterfront park system provides several miles of well-groomed space very heavily used by everyone from the unlimited class hydroplane circuit to geezers using walkers to the occasional windsurfer walking back upriver. HR's boat basin perimeter has always been an off-putting eyesore, a shame considering that huge green cash cow already towering above it (a frigging DOLLAR to cross a toll bridge we were promised would stop charging decades ago?) If it takes private dollars and incentive to clean the basin up, maybe it's worth the extra traffic and some gantries; closure to other recreation may be the bigger penalty.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something changed this year, the bridge fair is .75. I look at it as buy 3 get 1 free. The Bridge of the Gods is a buck though. All the bridges
out by you are free, so you should be happy.

And as I said before, that section of river is ugly, and certainly not
natural. I'd look forward to a brew pub and grass (and even some well
maintained buildings). There seem to be 2 camps here, a Progressive
camp (more economy is better for HR), and a status-quo camp (more
economy is detrimental to HR). The Status-Quos have some reasonable
arguments, but I still find myself in the progressive camp

-Craig

isobars wrote:
TBird wrote:

You just did, and, IMO, accurately. HR's boat basin perimeter has always been an off-putting eyesore, a shame considering that huge green cash cow already towering above it (a frigging DOLLAR to cross a toll bridge we were promised would stop charging decades ago?) .
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Unless something changed this year, the bridge fair is .75.

isobars wrote:
TBird wrote:

You just did, and, IMO, accurately. HR's boat basin perimeter has always been an off-putting eyesore, a shame considering that huge green cash cow already towering above it (a frigging DOLLAR to cross a toll bridge we were promised would stop charging decades ago?) .

It did, it's a buck now
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Unless something changed this year, the bridge fair is .75. I look at it as buy 3 get 1 free.

Then you're in for a surprise. Did you actually think I just "made up" the dollar?

How does paying an ever-increasing toll decades past the date this camel was sold to the public as "free" equate to "4 for the price of 3"? It doesn't affect me, as I cross the bridge only a few times a year, but it costs many locals a month's rent or mortgage payment each year unless they get some serious discounts. It's just another example of the need to examine and get in irrevocable writing any and every promise any private or government developer.

A family up the nearby Snake River had owned and farmed a stretch of the waterfront for generations. The Corps decided they wanted it, and stopped just short of eminent domain proceedings by promising the family the land would become a park their descendants could enjoy for generations to come. Family caved, deal closed, park opened, park now closed, family screwed.

Even as a private citizen just workin' or windsurfin', I've personally seen and often dealt with developers in many states on many projects. I have been forced to assume every one of them is full of crap; the ones that fail 37 times become politicians.

Get every little promise in writing.

It took the previous owners of the lower 48 states centuries to figure this out, but they're there now. Didja know, for example, that if the Corps ever decides to close or abandon or sell or give away Roosevelt Park like the state did a mere decade ago, it automatically, by federal law, in irrevocable writing, reverts to the Yakama Nation, to be forever closed to non-native Americans?

Get it in writing, and be prepared to enforce it in court some day.
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cgoudie1

We do not believe that more economy is bad for Hood River. That is an overly simplistic view of our arguments. We believe that responsible and appropriate economy in is good for Hood River. I would love to see a park in the south end of the basin. That probably won't happen but it would in fact be better than what is there now. I stated that the "its better than what is there Now" argument is not legitimate because it fails to address what is in fact being proposed, taking the water away from the public.

Anyhow, it's great to see that this is finally getting some attention from both sides of the argument. We feel the more the public knows about the proposed plan the better the outcome, regardless of weather it gets built or not. The cable park does not benefit the entire public, only the owners and a very small demographic of the public compared to the many different demographics that currently use the basin for a multitude of activities.

Derek
Friends of the Hood River Waterfront

PS oh, and to clarify the differences between a cable park and a marina and dock is that 1. marinas a docks are the only exceptions generally made in public rivers. 2. those docks and marinas are for the entire public to utilize their public river. Yes they can charge for slips but all marinas are safe harbor and open to the public on publicly held rivers.
puppydog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the bouyed off area east of The HR Inn? Can the public use this area/beach? And the dock in front? Is this a precedented use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: