myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do oil companies pay their fair share?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mid-east oil was diverted from the US to India/ China the demand from those countries for US production would drop and the domestic market would become the better option for domestic refineries.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must come with the oily guy manual. Instructions are, if you don't have an argument, put words in the other guys mouth to make them look silly, or unpatriotic. Let's go by the numbers.

1. The US' military strategy was developed when we imported even more oil from the Middle East. The time cycle for military budgets is long. Few of us have forgotten that an oil man, backed by other oil men, went to war in Iraq based on falsified information. Today's current market share, or tomorrows, doesn't change that or the money spent. And even today, the loss of 10% of our supply would devastate the economy.

2. Next mrgybe attributes the need to import oil to opposition to developing local supplies. Of course the battle over oil development is substantially more nuanced, and depends on three factors: are the lease revenues high enough, who do they go to, and are the environmental impacts adequately mitigated. Oil resources subject to lease are public resources, where many parties have a legitimate claim to the use of the overlying resources, and a mixed use policy that accommodates all users is the fairest. For the past 30 years that I know of, big oil has pressed for leases when the market is saturated so the lease sale value will be limited. Because the vast bulk of revenues go to the Federal government, and states and local governments must deal with the costs of oil development without those revenues, they have often opposed development. The oil industry could have been instrumental in changing the cost sharing formula to resolve that problem, and their life would have been easier--but it hasn't tried. The oil industry could have set models for safe transportation of oil and model mitigation of impacts--but they haven't tried. Instead, they have litigated nearly everthing, outspending local and state governments by multiples--and still they lose a local taxing appeal.

Instead you get an arrogant attitude about "oil on a beach for a few weeks." This ignores the sad fact that decades after the Exxon Valdiz, beaches in Alaska have not all recovered. As mrgybe continues to demonstrate, big oil is its own worst enemy.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
1. we cannot force those oil companies to sell their product only to domestic markets.

2. We cannot rely only on energy market forces to continue to direct energy policy.

1. But we can force citizens to buy insurance, or tell a citizen he cannot leave California to find a better job? How about some consistency here?

2. How is energy policy even affected, let alone driven by, market forces? Just the opposite; for the last three years energy policy seems to be driven almost exclusively by ideology. How is a policy admittedly aimed at European gasoline prices to deliberately drive us into the arms of greener energy before its natural time a "market force"?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars wrote

Quote:
or tell a citizen he cannot leave California to find a better job

One more try...You brought up a couple of other interesting comments. But, mixing them up with a misinterpretation of my own history (which I explained in detail to you in a PM) as an obvious attempt to insult me will not engage me in a serious response to a legitimate question.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote

Quote:
If mid-east oil was diverted from the US to India/ China the demand from those countries for US production would drop and the domestic market would become the better option for domestic refineries.

Until China or India begin to worry their supply will be threatened as their economies grow and begin to assert their military presence...the beat goes on...reference Mac's new thread.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Isobars wrote

Quote:
or tell a citizen he cannot leave California to find a better job

One more try...You brought up a couple of other interesting comments. But, mixing them up with a misinterpretation of my own history (which I explained in detail to you in a PM) as an obvious attempt to insult me will not engage me in a serious response to a legitimate question.

It's obvious even to most of your liberal buds here that you're dodging a very legitimate question with your version of "racist, misogynist, pants on fire".

Misinterpretation? You argued several times that California forbade you to leave the state, when in fact it merely informed you that if you left the state, the state would no longer subsidize your health insurance. If you consider pointing out your stated dependency on and subjugation to the government an "insult", maybe you should reconsider your dependency and subjugation.

Until you admitted that my arguments led you to question CA's authority over your life, you accepted it. Given that, why would you say the government has no authority to tell Big Oil it must satisfy domestic demand by some TBD criteria before selling components of the continent we live on overseas? Isn't forcing ... FORCING ... every citizen to buy a commercial product even worse?
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
your version of "racist, misogynist, pants on fire".

Did I miss something?

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given chance after chance, isobars continually misses the mark. He's incorrigible.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Given chance after chance, isobars continually misses the mark. He's incorrigible.

It's intentional. He's yanking everybody's collective chain. And laughing.

Yank back. And laugh back.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
swchandler wrote:

It's intentional. He's yanking everybody's collective chain. And laughing.

Yank back. And laugh back.

Has to be. No one could be that dense (except me for taking the bait)My bad...I have this flawed personality trait that compels me to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Thus, another try and another failure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: