myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dumb ?: threading downhaul line mast extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectra. Wax it as well.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most everyone here is missing it. The video that KMF provided shows the correct threading method for this type of extension. If you have an extension configured in accordance with the Streamlined Quick 6 design, you have to do things differently.

With the Chinook extension that B737 is using, the line going to the cleat must come from the middle pulley. Again, check out the video.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, someone must be missing something.. the question is who. The pulleys on the sail in the OP's pictures are not the same orientation as the pulley's in Andy's videos - they are rotated by 90 degrees. Could be because it's a KA sail, my Koncept has pulleys like that. Threading the line with the pulleys oriented the KA way is a lot easier, no video needed.

B737, try using the spectra line, as almost everyone else has suggested. I have no problems with it on my sails that have the same pulley orientation, even when downhauling all the way (the head honcho at NP Maui suggested to leave 2-4 cm between the pulleys when I asked him a while back - that might also solve the problem).
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the Chinook extension that B737 is using, the line going to the cleat must come from the middle pulley. Again, check out the video.

Ummm, no. As noted above, the extensions might be the same, but the pulley configuration on the sails is different. In the video, the axis of the pulleys on the sail vs. the extension are at 90 deg to one another. On B737's sail, the axis of the pulleys on the extension and sail are parallel to one another, therefore they require a different threading.

B737, you have the downhaul line threaded correctly.

If the pulleys are chafing the downhaul line, then most likely the edge of the pulley has a sharp spot/burr. Hit the edges of the pulleys with some sandpaper (maybe 150 grit) to knock off the sharp edges and your problem should be solved.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I hadn't noticed the positioning of the pulleys on the sail. Definitely my bad here.

All my sails over time have been configured like the NP orientation, so I have to admit that I'm out my bearing when the two pulley assemblies are parallel. While appears that KA's designer has taken this different path, what other brands follow the same orientation?
B737

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all this helpful advice.
i do have a stockpile of the 'slick line', just too lazy to start using it. i was going to wait for the stock stuff to wear more, which its doing. I figured i must have been doing something wrong, its good to know that its just a bi-product of the configuration...

for discussions sake... I am due to buy 3 more mast extensions...

I know streamline extensions dont put their pulleys across the bottom like Chinook does. I think streamline has their pulleys sticking out, in the same relationship as the block on my Maui and Severne sails. I bet that would eliminate the line slipping off the pulleys?

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait till you get to a 3 pulley Chinook extension

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I know streamline extensions dont put their pulleys across the bottom like Chinook does. I think streamline has their pulleys sticking out, in the same relationship as the block on my Maui and Severne sails. I bet that would eliminate the line slipping off the pulleys?"

If your Maui Sails and Severne sails are like the NP, you'll find that the Streamline Quick 6 arrangement works quite well, although the rigging is unique to that design. However, with the Quick 6 design, the sail's tack and the extension pulleys are parallel, so it might be similar in concept to your current design.

Last edited by swchandler on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
B737

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of my sails are Maui and Severne, all of their pulleys are parallel with the sail, it sounds like i should slowly switch to the streamline extensions to optimize the rigging and minimize this wear...
Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
all of my sails are Maui and Severne, all of their pulleys are parallel with the sail, it sounds like i should slowly switch to the streamline extensions to optimize the rigging and minimize this wear...

The axis ofthe pulleys on your sails are perpendicular to the foot of your sail. The chinook system will be the most straight forward to thread. The Streamlined Quick-6 system has the pulleys on the extension rotated 90 degrees. That system was designed for sails that have the axis of the pulleys parallel to the foot of the sail. Not that it won't necessarily work with your sails, just that threading the downhaul won't be as straight forward as the system you're currently using.

Again, if your downhaul line is being chafed by the pulleys, almost certainly the reason is because there is a sharp edge on the pulleys. I would hit the edge with a file or some sand paper and it will almost certainly solve your problem. Switching downhaul lines is not likely to solve the abrasion problem because the line will still be dragging across a sharp edge and the sharp edge is always going to win.

Some slight misalignment between the tack fitting pulleys and the base extension is inevitable with most systems.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: