myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Motor Vehicle deaths continue to decline
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY reason I've slowed down is dramatically increased enforcement. But for that, I'd be driving ever faster as cars become more capable. Speed kills no one, despite SailingJoe's contradiction of the CDC study, and even if it did, on an otherwise empty highway ... so what?
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised whatsoever.

Anyway...

mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso lives in a magical world for the criminally insane. Facts don't get in.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I'd be driving ever faster as cars become more capable. Speed kills no one, despite SailingJoe's contradiction of the CDC study, and even if it did, on an otherwise empty highway ... so what?

Gosh, think of it. Mr. Fick-shun becomes a grease spot on the highway. Shocked
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are few old bold riders.' An oft quoted truism from my competitive motor cycling days.

A fact of life is that age withers. Our abilities wane, and anyone who imagines otherwise is simply fooling themselves. (Or excessively big headed.) Schumacher (sp? ... too old and tired to bother checking Wink ) has attempted to regain his formula 1 glory days, but without the expected success and he's only middle aged.

It's not that old people are necessarily dangerous, though some are clearly unable to adapt to the frenetic pace of modern day traffic, but that they lack that sharp edge of the young.

An obvious example; I now pull up at a busy crossrad junction and carefully focus on individual cars and lorries before THINKING about what to do. When young I could have just taken in the whole picture in a single scan, and acted immediately and instinctively. That's what has now gone, and I don't fool myself that I could still ride and race competitively on instinct, as was once the case.

Once past 70 we, over here, must renew our driving licences every couple of years, with medical (including eyesight) confirmation that we are still fit to drive. Apparently there are over 100 people of well over 90 years old still with valid licences. I hope to be one of them!!!! (And still a windsurfer too.)
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
isobars wrote:
I'd be driving ever faster as cars become more capable. Speed kills no one, despite SailingJoe's contradiction of the CDC study, and even if it did, on an otherwise empty highway ... so what?

Gosh, think of it. Mr. Fick-shun becomes a grease spot on the highway. Shocked

Crosses the line Pueno...

Although, the assumption that a one car wreck on the highway is a personal freedom is quite a bit off the mark. Maybe both of you guys need to be "first on the scene" sometime. It changes your perspective.

Speed does not kill...the sudden loss of it does however!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
the assumption that a one car wreck on the highway is a personal freedom is quite a bit off the mark

I agree, but I don't think it warrants the same level of enforcement as it does when others are threatened. My point, facetiously put, was that speed, per se, does not kill. Dispatching a state trooper from 50 miles away because someone with a cell phone saw one car pass another car legally, safely, and politely is asinine.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say G.T., a notable post. There's a lot truth in there, whether we like it or not.

Although I'm still amped-up driving, but I'm getting ever more cranky while doing it. Maybe that's another sign of our senior years.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

Crosses the line Pueno...

Although, the assumption that a one car wreck on the highway is a personal freedom is quite a bit off the mark. Maybe both of you guys need to be "first on the scene" sometime. It changes your perspective.

Speed does not kill...the sudden loss of it does however!

Well, yes, if he crosses the line at speed, then he's at risk.

But keep in mind that I was only repeating the words that Iso used. He said that he prefers to drive fast and would drive faster if the technology allowed. And if speed kills, even on an empty highway, then so what?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
the assumption that a one car wreck on the highway is a personal freedom is quite a bit off the mark

I agree, but I don't think it warrants the same level of enforcement as it does when others are threatened. My point, facetiously put, was that speed, per se, does not kill. Dispatching a state trooper from 50 miles away because someone with a cell phone saw one car pass another car legally, safely, and politely is asinine.

No embedded insult in the last post, so I will respond...

I agree, within reason. The speed at which a particular auto can be driven is highly dependent on the performance of the car. I have a BMW wagon and a Toyota truck. I can drive the BMW at a much higher safe speed than the truck. Because it's a Bimmer, I risk the same fate you describe. Helps to be buddies with the Sheriff of course, order a dark gray car and never wash it.

Seriously, although regulations have reduced the deaths per mile, I have to give significant credit to the auto manufacturers. The German cars, followed by Toyota began installing additional air bags, stability control and tire pressure monitors prior to any rules and regs as marketing features. Safety sells in autos.

Now, about those mercury discharging coal power plants...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: