myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is coverage for preexisting conditions welfare?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the current system is that one can play by all of the rules...paying tens of thousands in premiums or seeking employment with health insurance coverage and suddenly find themselves on the open market with a pre-existing condition. This seems unfair. Feuser asks if this is welfare for providing coverage for this person out of the larger pool, of which they were a contributing member. I don't believe it is.

Personally, I DO have a problem with someone, who has never had health insurance suddenly getting insurance when needed. This is why I believe in the insurance mandate. Require everyone to join the pool.

Currently, if you are poor, you get that treatment for that pancreatic cancer. If you do not have insurance (by your fault or not), and have assets, you will be treated and you will be bankrupted...then you get the Medicaid. Ultimately, the government, other enrollees, or the medical industry will pay. It is a shell game.

It is about time we looked at the entire health care system as a shared responsibility and a shared risk. If we do not, the current system of "each man for himself" will fail as costs continue to spiral out of control.

Do I think that the ACA is perfect. Not by a long shot. I believe the insurance reforms are necessary, but long term cost savings will not be maximized without short term funding to rebuild the medical delivery model.

I will again state this...you cannot reform the health care system by only looking at the way it is financed.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that our brief hiatus from the daily news feed by the Koch brothers has come to a jarring end. Mrgybe is back, and now claims:\

Quote:
Those who doubt that fossil fuel production is down on Federal lands may choose to look at the attached government report which shows that production is the lowest since 2003 (the starting point for the report).

http://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests/federallands/pdf/eia-federallandsales.pdf

Such anti-hydrocarbon production policies absolutely do impact current gas prices

Yada, yada, yada. Perhaps some of you missed the buried assumption here that fossil fuel producers have a right to extract from Federal lands there in his first line. Of course, Federal lands are held in trust for all of the people in the United States, not merely the fossil fuel folks. And the debate over their use has been over competing claims from different interests. In the case of fossil fuels, including the pipeline, the debate is over the cost, the revenue stream back to the Federal government for allowing their resources to be exploited, and mitigation of impacts. Of course the Koch's, and their stooges, want to minimize all such costs so that they can maximize their profits. They tell you its about Obama's fault in prices, but its actually about profit margins. All in a little implicit assumption. Brought to you courtesy of the Republican party, in thrall to oil money.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasoline is sold like every other thing on earth. They raise the price until consumption drops off,then lower it a level that folks are willing to pay.
Notice that a barrel of oil can go down and up over a wide range,while gas price steadily creeps up?
If this is true wouldnt there be giant profits for the oil companies?
Not long ago the oil giants made the largest profit of any company in human history.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead,

Well said, I think you defined the issue very well. However the Obama care solution just doesn't appeal to me. There is some logic behind the ACA, but in my mind, the mandate goes way too far for me to buy into.

I don't have a solution, but something will come along sooner than later that will be a compromise (assuming the Supreme Court shoots down the ACA). If not we certainly will find out if the ACA was a good plan.

It's easy to say that health care should be the government's responsibility, but for years and years, I have heard many more horror stories than positive stories from people living in those countries where government mandated programs exist. In my opinion, the majority will be sacrificing quality and timely care, plus rationing, to the benefit of the minority (those without insurance, but not on medicaid).

It seems like the solution should address the segment of the population that are having problems, not the entire country. Easier said than done.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno

Feuser's original post was in regards to the question of existing conditions and the lack of a method to deal fairly with this issue. It is worth noting that this situation is a problem for about 20% of the healthcare system. Those that either do not have insurance or are forced to purchase insurance on the open market. Although any of us, as NickB stated, could become part of that population at any time.

The majority of folks in this country have insurance thru the govt or employers (approximately 80%). The biggest problem for this group, and because of this group, is that cost increases are unsustainable. Because costs are increasing, more folks will become part of the minority discussed above as employers drop coverage. The anti "Obamacare" folks will claim this is because of the ACA, but it has been a trend prior to the inception of the plan.

The Republicans have tried to limit Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements to providers in the past in an attempt to stem this growth to no avail. Wrong approach, IMO. The result has been cost shifting and some rationing.

The ACA has elements, such as insurance exchanges, to allow a greater level of participation in the insurance pool, which should help reduce the cost shifting and provide small businesses methods to insure employees and proprietors. That's the good stuff in the plan.

However, the cost containment methods in the ACA will not be realized without some real reform in the delivery of medical care. The plan calls for a merit based payment system. Great idea, right? Well, not so good if you are treating a sicker population. Providers may begin to cherry pick "well" patients. In addition, the plan tries to implement these cost savings using Medicare payments as the carrot. The reaction will be for providers to refuse new Medicare patients.

Small providers will, largely, be incapable of the record keeping and accounting required to fulfill the goal of a merit based system. So, the ACA will promote the demise of the small practice. This is already a trend (pre ACA)...small primary care practices are failing due to low Medicare reimbursements and high overhead.

This is not, necessarily, a bad thing. While I believe the quality of care delivered in this model is good, the costs are, quite simply, too high.

Large clinics will contract to serve all the needs of a patient population. I feel these clinics should be privately run with strict guidelines for care and cost containment. This is why I support the ACA. The other option, really, is government run clinics.

Where the ACA fails is in the nuts and bolts of the implementation of the cost saving strategies. Docs are, generally, poor business folks. (would you want your's reading a med-journal or the wsj?) They will need help with setting up these practice systems to provide services to sicker, poorer and older populations.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with techno on this.
The thing that makes Ocare special is that the framework was written by Bush GOP,then giant lobbyist money came forward and the writers of the legislation were required by the Party to vote against it.
Nothing better will come along in a gov. like Bush which was controlled by lobbyists. Ocare is likely as close as we will ever get and a clear sign that the Dem President is refusing at least some lobbyist money.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I will happily amend my statement to read........."if a policyholder knowingly fails to disclose pre-existing damage when submitting a claim, he is in breach of the contract". Whether the insurance company has adequate motivation or the ability to detect that breach is a separate issue........the wrongful breach has still occurred. The point is that, with the exception of exotic loss portfolio transfer mechanisms, insurance is not intended to cover losses that have already taken place. So, initiating health coverage for someone who already has pancreatic cancer, and whose premiums cannot possibly cover the cost of care, may be a compassionate gesture by society, but it is a social program, not insurance.

Thanks, as an ordinary breach of contract claim represents a very different scenario than a claim of fraud.

I agree that insurance coverage is ordinarily forward looking only, but the existence of a potential claim isn't necessarily enough to deny coverage because the entire rate structure adjusts for all risks across all subscribers. Healthy youngsters tend to pay far, far more than most would ever collect until either a serious injury or illness -and those are statistically rare. Those premiums help subsidize the more likely claims and the more costly claims. It's my strong impression that rates are correlatively tied to equity market conditions more than the insurers would like to admit. That last part impacts rates tremendously yet has little to do with the coverage costs. Why? Boards of publicly traded insurance companies are legally obliged to maximize share value, and the market measures few metrics taking into account the "wellness" of the insureds -yet that is the primary measure of satisfaction of the insureds.

Glad we came to some understanding -at least to the first topic.

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

Notice that a barrel of oil can go down and up over a wide range,while gas price steadily creeps up?
If this is true wouldnt there be giant profits for the oil companies?
Not long ago the oil giants made the largest profit of any company in human history.

Keep in mind that the refiners always trade off the various products against one another, depending on the greatest need (which relates to the greatest profit).

If industry demands more diesel, then they bump up diesel production, which requires that gasoline production drops. Likewise, #1 oil, #2 heating oil, jet fuel, #6 fuel oil, lubricating oils, and other products compete against gasoline. (It has to do with the cracking process.) So, while overall production might be up, it might be up on alternate products, not necessarily gasoline. One barrel of crude produces one barrel of products (or thereabouts), not multiple barrels of products.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:

Quote:
The ACA has elements, such as insurance exchanges, to allow a greater level of participation in the insurance pool, which should help reduce the cost shifting and provide small businesses methods to insure employees and proprietors. That's the good stuff in the plan.

However, the cost containment methods in the ACA will not be realized without some real reform in the delivery of medical care. The plan calls for a merit based payment system. Great idea, right? Well, not so good if you are treating a sicker population. Providers may begin to cherry pick "well" patients. In addition, the plan tries to implement these cost savings using Medicare payments as the carrot. The reaction will be for providers to refuse new Medicare patients.

Small providers will, largely, be incapable of the record keeping and accounting required to fulfill the goal of a merit based system. So, the ACA will promote the demise of the small practice. This is already a trend (pre ACA)...small primary care practices are failing due to low Medicare reimbursements and high overhead.

Other than the REQUIRED participation in the ACA, what you address above is a sample of the other huge issue I have with the plan. It's like creating another IRS, the logistics and bureaucracy in all this will make fair and timely management of the program impossible. It will be a nightmare. But it will likely create jobs - some insurance, but mostly thousands of additional government jobs, which I don't see as a good thing. Non productive jobs paid for by you and me. Just bigger government which conservatives don't like.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno wrote

Quote:
Other than the REQUIRED participation in the ACA, what you address above is a sample of the other huge issue I have with the plan. It's like creating another IRS, the logistics and bureaucracy in all this will make fair and timely management of the program impossible. It will be a nightmare. But it will likely create jobs - some insurance, but mostly thousands of additional government jobs, which I don't see as a good thing. Non productive jobs paid for by you and me. Just bigger government which conservatives don't like

I totally agree, in regards to the evaluation and record keeping to make a merit system work. Especially since I am pretty sure that we will not be able to implement it in my wife's practice. I am not sure how you provide merit pay for anybody in any industry in private practice. So many variables.

However, the Govts (Federal, State and Local) are currently financing about 45% of the health care provided. Medicare and Medicaid have been flirting with merit based reimbursement for awhile. The ACA includes it, but it has received bipartisan support in the past. It will happen regardless. If Medicare and Medicaid do it, the large insurers will probably follow.

Insurance exchanges, to me, are an excellent idea and should be implemented, even if it does grow government. Note...this is a big element in Paul Ryans Medicare plan and Mitts proposal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: