myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Separation of church and state
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Separation of church and state Reply with quote

I find from speaking to missionaries and others that most people of faith support keeping religion out of the gov.
Except their own.
I remember a very large conservative outcry that Kennedy, who was a catholic, could not serve as President if elected. They said Catholics had to serve the Vatican and that put the Church in control of the US, violating the constitutional separation of church and state.
The evangelicals had an office right next to the Bush Oval Office to con them into thinking they were taking control of the Gov.
What do you they would have said if an Office of Catholic Affairs had been opened between them and the Pres.?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker, you bring up a point that seems to have been forgotten since before 1960. Protestant denominations, especially those in the southern states, held an extreme hate for Catholics. The KKK didn't just hate blacks.

How conveniently Catholics and Protestants find synergy today. I guess a hate of President Obama temporarily brings them together in the political sphere. No doubt though, there's little real friendship here. Just religious folks using each other for perceived short term gains.
DaisySibyl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the church should be separated from the state.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have constitution on your side. Many of those who determine their vote by checking the religion of the candidate do not know they are peeing in that document.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty straightforward: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE PRACTICE THEREOF".
Obama therefore just took a big dump on the nation's Catholics, who played a significant part in his election, and the Church is justifiably absolutely livid and still getting "livider" every day.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to allow Catholic churches to block contraception for their employees who are not Catholic, while accepting Federal money, would conflict with the Constitution. I have fifth graders with better reading comprehension and reasoning ability.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OR PROHIBITING THE FREE PRACTICE THEREOF

WTF? reading iso's rant, one'd think our government is trying to force all Catholics into a massive orgy against their will.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you a fifth grader would be smart enough to make an exception to the law, for institutions who do not believe contraception.
People who work for the institutions can easily go elsewhere for their needs.
Is it that freakin complicated?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
Quote:
OR PROHIBITING THE FREE PRACTICE THEREOF

WTF? reading iso's rant, one'd think our government is trying to force all Catholics into a massive orgy against their will.

sounds like a good idea? do you have a schedule you can shoot out to me?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty wrote

Quote:
I bet you a fifth grader would be smart enough to make an exception to the law, for institutions who do not believe contraception.
People who work for the institutions can easily go elsewhere for their needs.
Is it that freakin complicated?

Matty- I didn't take you for a big city elitist. You've got to get out more and see what medical services are available outside of large Catholic hospitals in rural areas before you jump to that conclusion.

The Catholic hospitals are taking over health care where I live and defining it to fit their morality, while accepting Federal money. You're right...It's not freakin complicated at all...If a hospital wants to be the big provider in a region, they better be willing to supply all of the health care needs for that population or get out of the market so someone else can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: