myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cynicism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Cynicism Reply with quote

Perhaps my cynicism of Faux News is justified. Check out the title of this piece regarding the huge solar flare heading our way. Try to find any reference in the txt of it affecting weather as expressed in the title.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/07/sun-fires-off-2-huge-solar-flares-could-impact-weather-on-earth/

Northern lights fail to qualify as weather events, IMHO.

windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the text would read on air...

"Is Obama Ignoring the Danger of Recent Deadly Sun Explosions During His Campaign Tour?"

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cynicism Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Perhaps my cynicism of Faux News is justified. Check out the title of this piece regarding the huge solar flare heading our way. Try to find any reference in the txt of it affecting weather as expressed in the title.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/07/sun-fires-off-2-huge-solar-flares-could-impact-weather-on-earth/

Northern lights fail to qualify as weather events, IMHO.

To be fair, it does say "storms" twice in the article. Faux is vindicated; it was all that college intern's fault, and she probably lives next door to a liberal.

So, it's clearly OBAMA'S FAULT.

Anyway, college isn't for everybody.

BTW, speaking of weather.... spaceweather.com talks about the Northern Lights.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm signing off and unplugging all electronics. So you guys have your tin foil hats on yet???!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
you guys have your tin foil hats on yet???!!!

Most of these guys never take them off. It's their primary defense from AGW .. or AGF ... or whatever the global climate threatens next.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan--you know this doesn't bother me. Sun activity, or more accurately perturbations in sun activity, can have an impact on weather. Fox would like us to believe that there is no climate change, just weather. Of course, any such impacts of anomolous sun activity is short term, and has no impact on climate. So the headline is not really wrong or misleading.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
you guys have your tin foil hats on yet???!!!

Most of these guys never take them off. It's their primary defense from AGW .. or AGF ... or whatever the global climate threatens next.

Please -- get it right.

Liberals wear aluminum foil hats. Recycled aluminum.

Conservatives wear tin foil hats. It probably has something to do with contraception. (Oh, maybe those aren't hats, and maybe those aren't your heads....)
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I don't have the lock on all the factors that can influence weather. Solar activity seems it would have a huge impact. However, my point in posting this link is that the article's title advocates for a position that it fails to discuss whatsoever. That's shoddy journalism even if the claim could be argued to have some basis in fact.

Business Pages Headline: Sanyo Ramps Up Battery Production; Flashlight Use Could Be Affected

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Your point is well taken and regardless of political believes, all media should avoid spinning stories in order to push their politics. Was this particular headline a mistake or politics? Who knows, but it was catchy and most readers would likely read the article looking for how our weather was going to be impacted. I am thinking it was a mistake by a novice writer since there was a reference to "NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center".
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Dan,

Your point is well taken and regardless of political believes, all media should avoid spinning stories in order to push their politics. Was this particular headline a mistake or politics? Who knows, but it was catchy and most readers would likely read the article looking for how our weather was going to be impacted. I am thinking it was a mistake by a novice writer since there was a reference to "NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center".

Here's a possible answer that might make sense...

In the world of print journalism (eg, real newspapers), the reporter who generates a story DOES NOT compose the title -- that task is left to an editor.

(I know this from taking "real world" journalism classes at the local city newspaper. I was roundly criticized for adding my own title to my work.)

It is probably the same in the virtual news world. It's not unreasonable to believe that an editor spent two seconds scanning the article and saw the word "storms."

Hence, the article is titled about weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: