myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The death of Windsurfing Mag?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: The death of Windsurfing Mag? Reply with quote

I got the over-sized surfing magazine, wrapped in plastic, in the mail a couple of days ago. I didn't pay much attention to it. I figured they had gotten my name from a mailing list somewhere and were sending me a trial issue. Last night I opened it up and got a huge surprise:

"Dear reader, We are sorry to inform you Windsurfing magazine has discontinued publication effective with the last issue of 2011. The good news is that in its place, you will receive TransWorld Surf magazine for the duration of your Windsurfing subscription..."

Josh Sampiero, Eric Sanford... I know you guys are out there. What's the scoop?
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "death of Windsurfing" I meant the magazine not the sport, but the end of our flagship publication doesn't bode well for the growth of our sport.

300 million people in the U.S.
3 million surf
I would be surprised if 300,000 windsurf.

I am sure windsurfing won't die out completely but it may be relegated to a few pockets around the country: Maui, the Gorge, Bay Area, Cape Hatteras, being the obvious ones.

And I guess that will be okay.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the stuff on PuertoRico.
Once regarded the "Maui of the Carribean", now there are NO rentals of windsurf equipement beyond beginner gear.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean my gray Ampro mast will never be collectable?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be collected by the same people who collect Killwell masts and North's flex top aluminums.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full scoop from December 22 from Josh is here on the main iWindsurf forum (Windsurfing Discussion forum):
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23829
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, most every sport that's powered by mother nature is on the skids. Instead, most young people today are being led into outdoor sports that are powered by the almighty oil industry. Every outdoor sport that I've enjoyed in the past 30+ years (windsurfing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, kayaking) has one thing in common... these all burn calories, not oil. Today, almost every outdoor sport that is really popular around here (jet ski, snowmobile) burns oil. Not to mention the addiction with gas guzzling bigger and bigger vehicles (monster trucks).

Most all young people today have no interest in windsurfing at all. Just glad that the death of windsurfing mag hasn't effected me at all... fact, I've never read a single issue. Old schooler here who simply enjoys a local sesh without all the latest and greatest frills.
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am late to the party.

Thanks for the link to the earlier discussion.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
In general, most every sport that's powered by mother nature is on the skids. Instead, most young people today are being led into outdoor sports that are powered by the almighty oil industry. Every outdoor sport that I've enjoyed in the past 30+ years (windsurfing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, kayaking) has one thing in common... these all burn calories, not oil. Today, almost every outdoor sport that is really popular around here (jet ski, snowmobile) burns oil. Not to mention the addiction with gas guzzling bigger and bigger vehicles (monster trucks).

Most all young people today have no interest in windsurfing at all.
Good post! However, I think the fact that most young people have no interest in windsurfing, kiteboarding, mtb, etc has nothing to do with the oil industry per se.

Instead, the lack of interest is due to most Gen-Y/Zers being lazy-ass couch potatoes who are not interested in anything requiring time, effort and commitment. Once they realize they can't get up and riding in the first 5 minutes, they're done!

OK, that's a gross generalization - but I believe it's generally true.

Opposing opinions welcome - somebody tell me I'm wrong!
duckwind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Need young windsurfers! Reply with quote

I have been complaining about the lack of young windsurfers in the Gorge for years. The scene is so old-folky that it creeps me out and I have lots of gray hair. I can understand why a young person who pulled into the Event Site or Rowena or Rock Creek would not think windsurfing is at all cool. Who wants to launch next to Gramps?

At least I have contributed three young guys to the sport. My boys are 17 to 21 and love to sail!

We all miss Windsurfing Magazine aolot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: